LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Yeah my original point was to Toxictaz who said OLED was awful for gaming and that using IPS monitors was better for gaming. OLED for everything else. I would claim its the opposite and pointed out that if OLED was "so awful" for gaming then why are so many people putting up with larger than they would like OLED TVs and using them to game on.

LG is trying to prove that OLED technology can be used for gaming by adding G-Sync Compatible to it's 2019 OLED TV's .... Trying to prove they don't get OLED burnin anymore ... I will not play any video games on my older 2017 LG 65" OLED ....even on Game Mode. There was still a lot of OLED Burnins on 2017 at the time.. . Having screensavers and pixel refresh options helps but Again how many OLED gaming "monitors" on the market?? How many Ultra Wide OLED Gaming monitors ? ??

And why?

Movies and TV shows are on a different playing field .. . .that's the hole point of having an Ultra Wide gaming monitor for FOV and 144Hz+ fps from Nano IPS and VA panels ..

I do see your guys price point .. .2019 LG 65" OLED VS VA 35" OR Nano IPS 38"

Caporegime
LG is trying to prove that OLED technology can be used for gaming by adding G-Sync Compatible to it's 2019 OLED TV's .... Trying to prove they don't get OLED burnin anymore ... I will not play any video games on my older 2017 LG 65" OLED ....even on Game Mode. There was still a lot of OLED Burnins on 2017 at the time.. . Having screensavers and pixel refresh options helps but Again how many OLED gaming "monitors" on the market?? How many Ultra Wide OLED Gaming monitors ? ??

And why?

Movies and TV shows are on a different playing field .. . .that's the hole point of having an Ultra Wide gaming monitor for FOV and 144Hz+ fps from Nano IPS and VA panels ..

I do see your guys price point .. .2019 LG 65" OLED VS VA 35" OR Nano IPS 38"

Excluding the "burn in" issue which may or may not be an issue, that doesnt make OLED unsuitable for gaming. In fact everything about OLED makes it perfect for gaming.

And the fact is, looking at the prices of monitors, who cares about burn in. For the money I am looking at dropping on a decent 120hz 4k HDR monitor, I can buy FOUR OLED tvs for the same money,

I was more interested why you thought people didnt want to play games on OLED and why you thought they werent suitable. In fact the reason why there arent more OLED monitors is they are unsuiable for normal desktop work. I would imagine that after using my excel spreadsheet for 10 hours everyday an OLED monitor would be done for. Gaming is much less liekly to cause burn in unless you play the same game for hours and house every day.

Associate
Biggest problem with using 2019 LG OLED for gaming besides gaming burnins is ..is the software variable refresh rate.

VRR
Freesync 2
G-Sync Compatible

All 3 are software based missing 1 very important feature "Variable Overdrive"

Variable Overdrive is what makes G-Sync and G-Sync Ultimate hardware better than software ..

I guess if you're into throttling frames per second with Pixel overshoot errors.

G-Sync
G-Sync Ultimate
Both have hardware Variable Overdrive

You can't beat real hardware with software . . Now only if LG OLED TV's had real G-Sync and G-Sync Ultimate hardware !!

Caporegime
Biggest problem with using 2019 LG OLED for gaming besides gaming burnins is ..is the software variable refresh rate.

VRR
Freesync 2
G-Sync Compatible

Variable Overdrive is what makes G-Sync and G-Sync Ultimate hardware better than software ..

I guess if you're into throttling frames per second with Pixel overshoot errors.

G-Sync
G-Sync Ultimate

You can't beat real hardware with software . . Now only if LG OLED TV's had real G-Sync and G-Sync Ultimate hardware !!

Which they coudl easily if manufacturers started making them. Thats the point. We are been fed sub standard pc monitors which are IPS or VA and have horrid quality control but because they have hardware Gsync, which is good btw, they want to charge £1500, £2000 or even worse, the one I am looking at is £4k!!!! And even then i bet I have to go through three screen before I get a keeper.

Plus if you pick the right monitor it doesnt have any pixel overshoot anyway which negates the need for the G-sync to correct it.

Last edited:
Soldato

VRR
Freesync 2
G-Sync Compatible

G-Sync
G-Sync Ultimate

I believe you are a bit incorrect on this topic. Let me explain why I think so. Overdrive is used to push a panels ability to switch faster, Variable Overdrive, as you call it, does the same but the amount needed differs depending on the hz the monitor is running at. Now if we were talking about TN, VA or IPS then I would agree with you however since this is OLED a technology that is fast enough to be sub 1ms in it's native state, overdrive of any kind should in theory not be needed at all. At least thats how I understand it. Overdrive is basically just pixel overclocking with the caveeat of ending up with overshoot if done to much. You won't need it if the pixels are natively switching fast enough for the wanted refresh rate.

FTL

FTL

Associate
As Phixsator says variable overdrive is completely unnecessary on an OLED display given its native 0.1ms response - it is literally not a problem it isn’t “G-Sync Ultimate”, it makes no difference in this case.

Caporegime
And isnt G sync Ultimate just G Sync which has been tested for 300 seperate items and passed so the hardware is no different anyway?

As Phixsator and FTL have stated, that is exactly why OLED ARE the perfect gaming screens contrary to your earlier claim.

Associate
As Phixsator says variable overdrive is completely unnecessary on an OLED display given its native 0.1ms response - it is literally not a problem it isn’t “G-Sync Ultimate”, it makes no difference in this case.

At the end of the day. .. There are no Ultra Wide 21:9 OLED Gaming monitors. . LG OLED TV are only 16:9 TV standard and also Hz capped @120Hz also TV standard .. With software only G-Sync Compatible and possible display Burnins. Sounds great for gaming . ..

Good thing there is OLED Gaming monitors everywhere because it's perfect for gaming right ??

I would love to see this OLED Ultra Wide 21:9 Gaming monitor certified
DisplayHDR 500 True Black
with 144Hz+ and with hardware G-Sync.. basically LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B made with an OLED instead of Nano IPS . . But that's only a pipe dream..

MicroLED is coming soon to replace.. all, MicroLED is the future . ..

Maybe there be some LG Ultra Wide 21:9 OLED at CES 2020 ?

I love my 2017 65" LG OLED 4K HDR TV it's fantastic movie display ...only downside it's using crappie WebOS

Caporegime
At the end of the day. .. There are no Ultra Wide 21:9 OLED Gaming monitors. . LG OLED TV are only 16:9 TV standard and also Hz capped @120Hz also TV standard .. With software only G-Sync Compatible and possible display Burnins. Sounds great for gaming . ..

Good thing there is OLED Gaming monitors everywhere because it's perfect for gaming right ??

I would love to see this OLED Ultra Wide 21:9 Gaming monitor certified
DisplayHDR 500 True Black
with 144Hz+ and with hardware G-Sync.. basically LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B made with an OLED instead of Nano IPS . . But that's only a pipe dream..

MicroLED is coming soon to replace.. all, MicroLED is the future . ..

Maybe there be some LG Ultra Wide 21:9 OLED at CES 2020 ?

I love my 2017 65" LG OLED 4K HDR TV it's fantastic movie display ...only downside it's using crappie WebOS

You are totally missing the whole point. Myself and others have said we want OLED monitors. They are perfect for gaming. You came along and said OLED is useless for gaming but good for cinema. That is the point we are arguing. Plus 21:9 isnt an issue as you can always use that format on a 16:9 OLED screen as the black bars will be true black. Hence you get best of both worlds IMO. Ultrawide format when you want it when gaming and 16:9 when using it as a desktop. WIN WIN.

If somebody made a widescreen, OLED 120Hz or 144Hz 4k monitor with a G sync module it would sell like hotcakes. The fact is this monitor could be made now. They arent making it and keep on pushing substandard VA and IPS crap at us PC users with incremental benefits each year and a massive hike in price. I am still rocking my 4 year old 4k 32" IPS 60hz screen with cost £450 and has high quality control with no dead pixels or leakage. It even has great input lag. Its only missing 2 things - HDR and 100hz+. If I want to replace that screen now with a screen of equal quality but with those two added features it will cost me £4k. Yet you can have both those added features in a TV which costs £1000 and is OLED as well. Thats our issue.

Microled is years and years away.

Best we can hope for are the new LG OLED TV's coming next year. You never know, they might even see sense and slip a G Sync module into them and they would still be cheaper the the LG 38GL950G-B.

Associate
You are totally missing the whole point. Myself and others have said we want OLED monitors. They are perfect for gaming. You came along and said OLED is useless for gaming but good for cinema. That is the point we are arguing. Plus 21:9 isnt an issue as you can always use that format on a 16:9 OLED screen as the black bars will be true black. Hence you get best of both worlds IMO. Ultrawide format when you want it when gaming and 16:9 when using it as a desktop. WIN WIN.

If somebody made a widescreen, OLED 120Hz or 144Hz 4k monitor with a G sync module it would sell like hotcakes. The fact is this monitor could be made now. They arent making it and keep on pushing substandard VA and IPS crap at us PC users with incremental benefits each year and a massive hike in price. I am still rocking my 4 year old 4k 32" IPS 60hz screen with cost £450 and has high quality control with no dead pixels or leakage. It even has great input lag. Its only missing 2 things - HDR and 100hz+. If I want to replace that screen now with a screen of equal quality but with those two added features it will cost me £4k. Yet you can have both those added features in a TV which costs £1000 and is OLED as well. Thats our issue.

Microled is years and years away.

Best we can hope for are the new LG OLED TV's coming next year. You never know, they might even see sense and slip a G Sync module into them and they would still be cheaper the the LG 38GL950G-B.

How would it actually work to use UW format on a 16:9 screen? Wouldn't the picture just be stretched or how would you force unstretched screen with black bars?

Caporegime
Lol! These last few pages have been great fun to read :D

I would not go back to a non-OLED screen ever again as quite frankly any LCD display is complete and utter **** compared to OLED, as touched upon, even motion clarity is far better on OLED panels thanks to its instantaneous pixel response.

Also, 21.9 custom res. on OLED telly looks lovely, black is black, so black bars aren't a problem and the screen size is still bigger than any dedicated 21.9 LCD monitor :cool:

Caporegime
How would it actually work to use UW format on a 16:9 screen? Wouldn't the picture just be stretched or how would you force unstretched screen with black bars?

Leave it unstretched. Simple to do. You just end up with black bars top and bottom. And since its OLED these will be true black and not some hideous backlight leaking grey like they are on IPS monitors.

Associate
Leave it unstretched. Simple to do. You just end up with black bars top and bottom. And since its OLED these will be true black and not some hideous backlight leaking grey like they are on IPS monitors.

Ok just had a friend test 3840x1600 uw resolution on a 4K oled. It looks awesome! I wish it supported 144hz.

I've seen a few comments here on OLED being amazing for games due to low latency. Are there actual tests done somewhere that I can read? Something on the calibre of tftcentral?

Associate

Technically all movies are 21:9 but all TV's are 16:9 which gives you screen loss. .. You see black bars..

Now if you had 21:9 .. You could watch all your movies without bars... . In proper format.. yes the industry's messed up.. ... technically 21:9 should be the format ..

I'm trying to get into 21:9 PC gaming .... I don't want another 4K 16:9 OLED TV . . I payed a Fortune for from Costco 2017

Unfortunately
What I'm trying looking for is the closest thing to ROG SWIFT PG35VQ .. .. The LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B is close and $1000. Less here in Canada

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79753

Now waiting for sale

Caporegime
Ok just had a friend test 3840x1600 uw resolution on a 4K oled. It looks awesome! I wish it supported 144hz.

I've seen a few comments here on OLED being amazing for games due to low latency. Are there actual tests done somewhere that I can read? Something on the calibre of tftcentral?

I say give it a try yourself, personally I can't say I notice the input lag at all, even at 60HZ. Motion clarity still looks far superior than any 120+HZ LCD too as there is no weird trailing/ghosting at all, hard to describe.

120HZ is noticeably better though and I seriously doubt you'll notice the difference between that and 144HZ.

I don't play the likes of CS or COD but I do/did play BF and noticed no decrease at all in my "skills" or where I came in the leader board/k/d wise etc.

Caporegime
Technically all movies are 21:9 but all TV's are 16:9 which gives you screen loss. .. You see black bars..

Now if you had 21:9 .. You could watch all your movies without bars... . In proper format.. yes the industry's messed up.. ... technically 21:9 should be the format ..

I'm trying to get into 21:9 PC gaming .... I don't want another 4K 16:9 OLED TV . . I payed a Fortune for from Costco 2017

Unfortunately
What I'm trying looking for is the closest thing to ROG SWIFT PG35VQ .. .. The LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B is close and $1000. Less here in Canada

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79753

Now waiting for sale

Sigh again, slight misinformation. Up until around 10 years ago the majority of films were shot in 1.85:1 which became the defacto standard from the mid 1950s up until around 2000. It was only when 16:9 TVs got really popular (1.77:1) that film studios fought back to differentiate cinemas from how TVs look and started making more films in 2.35:1. Same happened before. All cinema films used to be filmed in 4:3 format and then TVs came along so cinema went wider - ToddAO (2.20 :1), CinemaScope (2.35 : 1), anamorphic (2.39 : 1 ) and Cinerama (2.59 : 1) to name just a few. Nowadays around two thirds of films are shot in 2.35:1 format vs 1.85:1

Technically 21:9 TVs and monitors will still have small black bars top and bottom unless the image is stretched slightly so they really arent the ideal format either since they are only 2.33:1. However 21:9 screens aren't actually 21:9 screens and they are all either 64:27 (2.37:1) or 43:18 (2.38:1) or 12:5 (2.4:1). Of course all of these will either have small black bars down each side of the screen or will slightly stretch the image when playing back films shot in true 21:9 format.

Anyway, this is always the cycle. TVs go wider and become the standard, cinemas respond with wider formats. TVs spend a decade or two getting wider, cinema then changes again. Naturally cinema always wants to be a different format to the majority of TV displays. Annoying but that's just how it works.

Associate
Sigh again, slight misinformation. Up until around 10 years ago the majority of films were shot in 1.85:1 which became the defacto standard from the mid 1950s up until around 2000. It was only when 16:9 TVs got really popular (1.77:1) that film studios fought back to differentiate cinemas from how TVs look and started making more films in 2.35:1. Same happened before. All cinema films used to be filmed in 4:3 format and then TVs came along so cinema went wider - ToddAO (2.20 :1), CinemaScope (2.35 : 1), anamorphic (2.39 : 1 ) and Cinerama (2.59 : 1) to name just a few. Nowadays around two thirds of films are shot in 2.35:1 format vs 1.85:1

Technically 21:9 TVs and monitors will still have small black bars top and bottom unless the image is stretched slightly so they really arent the ideal format either since they are only 2.33:1. However 21:9 screens aren't actually 21:9 screens and they are all either 64:27 (2.37:1) or 43:18 (2.38:1) or 12:5 (2.4:1). Of course all of these will either have small black bars down each side of the screen or will slightly stretch the image when playing back films shot in true 21:9 format.

Anyway, this is always the cycle. TVs go wider and become the standard, cinemas respond with wider formats. TVs spend a decade or two getting wider, cinema then changes again. Naturally cinema always wants to be a different format to the majority of TV displays. Annoying but that's just how it works.

Well said !!

Ultra Wide is definitely the way to go! Closest to cinema and fantastic gaming experience ..

The field of view on PC Gaming is what I'm going for!

LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B going to be a fantastic gaming monitor ..

Back
Top Bottom