Does anyone have experience with joiners?

Associate
Hi all, basically trying to get some oak worktops installed. It's a small kitchen but the worktops are to be installed in a "U" shape with the hole cut out for the sink and hob. One joiner has quoted £450. Sounds expensive to me? This is in the north.

Going to get a few more quotes obviously but just wondering if anyone has had similar work done and thinks that's about the mark.

Soldato
Assuming 2 x butt and scribe
and in a `U` shape .This takes time to fit properly
Plus you need a worktop jig and a powerful router(not cheap either of those)
plus time to cut out hob and sink etc
I would say a `fair` price myself :)

Soldato
Yeah, realistically you've probably got 2 guys for moving around the worktop accurately, then time to measure up and cut accurately as it's unlikely everything will be perfectly square, then measure everything out for the sink/hob etc.

Other (possibly cheaper option) would be to get the worktops fitted by the suppliers?

Soldato
I used to know a great joiner (recently retired sadly) who worked his pricing on £75 per "cut" for installing worktops. So a U shape install would be 4 cut plus sink and hob which equals £450

Associate
OP
Doesn't sound expensive to me.

Does that include the tops or just the fitting?

That's just the fitting. I bought the worktops a while ago.

Thank you for the replies all. I've gone ahead with his quote now. I think if I shopped around I could get it done a bit cheaper but he is doing it on a Sunday so it can be squeezed in before Christmas so it's worth it to me to just get it done.

Soldato
That's just the fitting. I bought the worktops a while ago.

Thank you for the replies all. I've gone ahead with his quote now. I think if I shopped around I could get it done a bit cheaper but he is doing it on a Sunday so it can be squeezed in before Christmas so it's worth it to me to just get it done.

A decent kitchen will last 20 years. You'll have forgotten about the £450 soon enough buy a crap cut is forever on show.

Back
Top Bottom