• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gaming on Epyc Rome CPUs?

Man of Honour
Kind of excited.

Will obviously need to find some sort of gpu. Half tempted to take my V11 in but not sure I can be bothered taking my machine apart. After that I have some Vega cards and rx550's that are much easier to get my hands on. I really need to get an OS on it so might just pass a gpu through to a vm.

Associate
I can confirm that not just gaming but multi-seat virtualized gaming works very well. I have a 7402 in an EPYCD8-2T, with 256GB of RAM.

Three seats (two VMs plus the host). Each VM seat 6c/12t pinned to it, and a 1080Ti passed to it. I'm not much of a gamer and this is a workstation, but I can confirm that with appropriate tuning, Fallout 4, and DCS work just fine at 4K, at a solid 60fps.

There are no known overclocking methods for Rome but it boosts close to full 3.35GHz in all 24 cores under all workloads I have thrown at it. EPYCD8 board seems to be limited to 200W and with 7402P being 180W stock, there is no real room for OC anyway. Bumping TDP to 200W increases boost closer to the maximum under the heaviest of workloads.

This system was an upgrade for a dual X5690 in a Supermicro X8DTH-6i and even though the clock speeds are lower (3.6GHz vs. 3.35GHz), the Epyc is very noticeably faster at all workloads, but it's difficult to say whether that is raw CPU power or 3.2x the memory I/O and a pair of NVMe SSDs now vs. a pair of SATA SSDs before.

I hope this helps answer the original question.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can confirm that not just gaming but multi-seat virtualized gaming works very well. I have a 7402 in an EPYCD8-2T, with 256GB of RAM.

Three seats (two VMs plus the host). Each VM seat 6c/12t pinned to it, and a 1080Ti passed to it. I'm not much of a gamer and this is a workstation, but I can confirm that with appropriate tuning, Fallout 4, and DCS work just fine at 4K, at a solid 60fps.

There are no known overclocking methods for Rome but it boosts close to full 3.35GHz in all 24 cores under all workloads I have thrown at it. EPYCD8 board seems to be limited to 200W and with 7402P being 180W stock, there is no real room for OC anyway. Bumping TDP to 200W increases boost closer to the maximum under the heaviest of workloads.

This system was an upgrade for a dual X5690 in a Supermicro X8DTH-6i and even though the clock speeds are lower (3.6GHz vs. 3.35GHz), the Epyc is very noticeably faster at all workloads, but it's difficult to say whether that is raw CPU power or 3.2x the memory I/O and a pair of NVMe SSDs now vs. a pair of SATA SSDs before.

I hope this helps answer the original question.

May I ask why you did not just purchase a normal threadripper, as that asrock board only takes one cpu. If you wanted dual configuration epyc then the 7402 makes sense hence why the price hike over 3960x. Could you not saved almost £1000 by going 3960x?

I am not criticising your decision assume there is good reason just interested to know what it might of been?

Associate
No way would the saving be £1,000 because the 7402P CPU was almost exactly £1,000. The board was £350. In fact, a 3960X is slightly more expensive than a 7402P.

The main reason was memory I/O. Epyc has twice as much as a Threadripper and each of those VM seats competes for it as a standalone workstation would.

Soldato
No way would the saving be £1,000 because the 7402P CPU was almost exactly £1,000. The board was £350. In fact, a 3960X is slightly more expensive than a 7402P.

The main reason was memory I/O. Epyc has twice as much as a Threadripper and each of those VM seats competes for it as a standalone workstation would.

yup that makes sense.:)

I thought 7402P was £2200, my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom