'Best' job searching sites

Permabanned
Hi

Am thinking about my next career move so probably now is the time to start spending a few hours every weeks doing some applications. Quite a few sites (Reed, Indeed, Monster, Fish4, Totaljobs, CV library, LinkedIn) out there so would be interested in getting opinions on where is best to focus my efforts in terms of uploading my CD, creating a profile and setting up email alerts. FYI I am in science/engineering/R&D for the chemicals and fast-moving consumer goods sectors.

Thanks

Caporegime
Linkedin would seem to be the obvious one - it is worth maintaining a profile there even if not looking, keep in touch with recruiters etc...

If you haven't already got it then once you fill the thing out you'll get a bunch of suggestions of people you work with and have worked with in the past... just add them all - inevitably various people you know will be connected to recruiters, in turn those recruiters will connect with you and there you go... you won't necessarily even need to apply for anything, they'll come to you.

You'll also find that as you accept recruiters other recruiters will add you too etc..

Associate
Linkedin has provided me with a number of opportunities.

More IT specific, Jobserve has been good to me over the years.

Soldato
Linkedin would seem to be the obvious one - it is worth maintaining a profile there even if not looking, keep in touch with recruiters etc...

If you haven't already got it then once you fill the thing out you'll get a bunch of suggestions of people you work with and have worked with in the past... just add them all - inevitably various people you know will be connected to recruiters, in turn those recruiters will connect with you and there you go... you won't necessarily even need to apply for anything, they'll come to you.

You'll also find that as you accept recruiters other recruiters will add you too etc..
Do you really need to 'connect' with the recruiters for them to send you opportunities? I'm on LinkedIn but only connect to people that know who I am and what I do. I'd be worried about constant spamming if I connected with loads of recruiters.

To answer the OP, I found indeed the best. I have very specific location/salary/role requirements and found indeed best for actually following that criteria instead of sending loads of 'work from home! Available nationwide!' style ads.

Caporegime
Do you really need to 'connect' with the recruiters for them to send you opportunities?

You don't need to, you'll get the odd offer from then regardless - yes getting spammed by them is part of it too, though if you're getting requests to add them shortly after you've added people you work with or have previously worked with then chances are they're recruiters who target your industry/role and not just random ones vaguely looking for someone with your experience.

Just a personal view here but I think it is good practice to keep in touch with recruiters, in general, on an ongoing basis. I also think it is good practice to attend job interviews every so often - I don't mean random ones that have no relevance to you - but relevant ones that you might be looking at if you were looking.... even if at that time you're not actually looking. Its such an easy/less stressful interview when you don't really need the job but are just treating it as both interview practice and seeing what you're worth elsewhere... you might then surprise yourself.

In fact if you do it semi-regularly then you might well find that all your job moves end up being the result of interviews you don't care too much about and where they've made you an interesting offer... of course some others you might just decline but you have the info about what you're currently worth and/or how easy it might be for you to move and can perhaps better negotiate with your current management re: your pay rise etc...

Back
Top Bottom