How much should a replacement central heating boiler cost

Soldato
Hi chaps

My sisters boiler broke she lives in Bungalow and she had an engineer round to look at it, now the boiler is around 15 years old and the engineer said he didnt want to repair it and said a new boiler would cost £2500 fitted.

Now my sister asked him to fix it because she didnt have the £2500 to replace it so the engineer read the fault codes on the display and ordered 2 parts a pcb Board and it might of been igniter not sure now but after fitting the parts he then told her she got a leak and now he said he needs to replace the exspansion vessel prv and diverter valve which is another £726 on top of her £350 from the first bill.

My sister asked why its leaking and he told her because its not been used for a long time they start leaking.

But shes been told even after fitting the parts it still might not work any advice from any heating engineers

Thanks in Advance

Associate
I had a very similar issue with a 10 year old boiler in my rental property a couple of years ago. Even though the boiler was serviced annually things started to fail. In the end it became non cost effective to repair so forked out just a fraction over £2k just before xmas so my tenants had central heating and hot water (it was a Combi boiler). At least with the new boiler in it came with a 7 year warranty on parts which is a weight off my shoulders if anything fails in that time.

Soldato
OP
My sisters is a combi boiler now i have looked around and a boiler is about £1000 so he charging around £1500 to fit it which takes a day, so to me it seems a hell of a lot of money for a days work.

Soldato
Depends where you live. I recently had a new boiler installed for just a shade over £2k. The boiler was about £1000 with an extra doo dah which cost £150. It took two engineers a day to remove the old boiler, fit the new one (including drilling a new hole for the flue) and test it so about £900 for the fitting. British Gas wanted £3k to fit a new boiler of unspecified type.

Permabanned
spent over 1k on a 15 year old boiler.
surely a standard boiler would be in the region of 1500 quid fitted.

does anybody bother to get more than one quote nowadays.

Associate
You also have to consider after installation he will need to pressure test the entire system for leaks, carry out leak tests etc. All pipework will need to be fitted correctly which is not any old DIYer should undertake. Anything around the £2-2.5k mark sounds about right depending on where you live.

Associate
spent over 1k on a 15 year old boiler.
surely a standard boiler would be in the region of 1500 quid fitted.

does anybody bother to get more than one quote nowadays.

I had 3 quotes and went with the one that had the better reviews, it just so happens that they were also the middle of my 3 quotes.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all replies Does my sister still have to pay for the work she had done on the old boiler or can they remove the parts they fitted so far and send them back since the problem hasnt been fixed or she she stuck with paying the bill.

Soldato
Ours was 1800 fitted, including new flue placement outside

Expensive mistake sadly. You/she could have gotten someone else to come take a look at it before approving repairs to see if he was right regarding whether or not it was worth repairing.

Back
Top Bottom