Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Caporegime
OP
Ugh. All kids, so they are not taking the movie seriously. It'll just be "for the kids" hung off a Stranger Things template.

Not all kids, Paul Rudd is involved as well as the original cast.

And why is everyone bringing up Stranger Things because of a single cast member? Was "IT" also a stranger things knock off?

Man of Honour
Soldato
I was a kid when I watched Ghostbusters 1 & 2 and a teenager the last time I watched them. They're family films popular with kids, so stands to reason that this should be too.

Soldato
Yup. Definitely feeling better about it than about a week ago after that.
As for 2016...

"There hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years"
So, GB16 is officially non-cannon then. :D

Also, wonder how Leslie Jones is taking the positivity about this, given her hatred of the idea of GB3.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2019-01-21/leslie-jones-ghostbusters-3-sequel-insulting/

Another puffed up actor who can't look in the mirror and see why their previous effort failed badly. She'd probably prefer if her movie killed the franchise all together.

Soldato
Looks incredible. I actually got goosebumps, when Spenglers suit was shown.

It feels more modern but with the right amount of nostalgia and links to the past.

Although I have a friend on FB that argued all night that this looks crap and 2016 was way better! He also thinks this is a reboot and not a sequel! Even after I pointed out all the references to the originals and it features the original cast he still can't see it. He seems to think having everyone in 2016 makes that part of the universe, even though they were cameos as random and nothing to do with the previous movies.

Soldato
Well, it's helmed by Jason Reitman, son of Ivan Reitman who gifted us the first two films, so I would expect at least some of the originals' DNA to surface in this.
However, I'm not going to get excited until after I've seen it, just in case it turns out to be ****.....

Soldato
Not all kids, Paul Rudd is involved as well as the original cast.

And why is everyone bringing up Stranger Things because of a single cast member? Was "IT" also a stranger things knock off?
I think Stranger Things is a fair reference point. It's had a big impact which, interestingly, has its foundation in '80s movies like Ghostbusters. Life imitating art, imitating life.... :D

That kid from Stranger Things was also in IT, which also went for that Stranger Things style. He's your boy for that sort of thing I guess.

Soldato
I'm really looking forward to this - love the originals. However, this looks like it could be very drawn out before we actually see some ghostbusting.

They have to move, get to know the teacher/friends, make the basement hidden discovery etc - i hope it isn't an hour of this and 30mins of ghosts!

Soldato
I'm really looking forward to this - love the originals. However, this looks like it could be very drawn out before we actually see some ghostbusting.

They have to move, get to know the teacher/friends, make the basement hidden discovery etc - i hope it isn't an hour of this and 30mins of ghosts!
It could be a 2 hour movie with the intro to the fam occuring in the first 30 mins. We don't actually know yet. The original didn't take too long to get the busting started.

Caporegime
OP
To me there’s two films and the brilliant video game. Absolutely tons of lore on Ivo in that and it was voiced by the original cast.

Bill Murray refused to record his lines with the cast, and buggered off before his lines were complete. Oddball, though the game was good and told a good story, most people regarded that as GB3 via the cut scenes.

JRS

JRS

Soldato

It could be a 2 hour movie with the intro to the fam occuring in the first 30 mins. We don't actually know yet. The original didn't take too long to get the busting started.

I checked this just now. So earlier in the thread I noted that the first ghostbusting scene comes about half an hour into GB2 with the courtroom and the Scoleri brothers. In the first film, the call from the Sedgewick Hotel comes...*drumroll*...half an hour into the film.

Re-watching that, it's hard not to notice Dan Akroyd almost losing it at the Bill Murray ad-lib when they're about to get into the elevator.

HOTEL GUEST: What're you supposed to be, some kind of a cosmonaut?
VENKMAN: Heh, no we're exterminators. Someone saw a cockroach up on 12th.
HOTEL GUEST: That's got to be some cockroach.
VENKMAN: Bite your head off, man.

At which point Dan's mouth is visibly twitching as he struggles not to explode into laughter :D Also, something which I'd missed until I watched the film again the other day. That hotel guest was chomping on a cigar when he was going to get into the elevator before the Ghostbusters showed up...an elevator that has a socking great 'no smoking' sign on the back wall of it! Ah well, rules are just for other people I guess :p

Man of Honour
I watched GB2 tonight. It’s... alright? Just a lot of missed potential. The plot is pretty interesting and the special effects are actually really cool - the courtroom ghosts look awesome!! I didn’t even really mind the slow build up this time around.

The best but in the film is that minute long montage of the various ghosts, climaxing in the titanic showing up. That’s such a great / creepy shot. Bravo.

But the film is blighted by the baby stuff. It’s just not interesting. And it’s a really weird looking blotchy baby. Bad guy just sort of gives up.

Egon is by far away the funniest and the dialogue of the others is pretty flat in the build up. Winston is just sort of... there, again.

Janine is pretty hot though :eek:

I probably do prefer it to the original but I’m not hankering to rewatch either. I guess that’s my though on both films... they are fun in their own way but it surprises me that they are so cherished. Concept is cooler / better than the execution IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom