What desktop speakers are you using?

Associate
Currently using Cyrus 6XPD with Neat Iota speakers and it sounds amazing. Also have a Cyrus 6se CD player and a Audio-Technica AT-LP5 which again sound amazing

Associate
With a budget of £500-£600 I ended up with the following:
2 x DALI Zensor Pico - Small 'desk' sized speakers (great of near field listening) - £120 (Now replaced with the DALI DALI SPEKTOR 1 for the same price)
ZQVRf6Y.png

Paired with a TEAC A-H01 DAC/AMP (Uses the B&O Ice Power Amp) - On Sale at £115 at RS (Bargain!, RRP was £399) - The NAD C3020 v2 is a good alternative for £299 (in the black friday sale!), obviously the NAD C3045 above is better but it's £499)
TJ03wSX.png
Then added a sub (BK Gemini II) - £239
GbRBRcl.png

Perfect for me, these really gel together and give me everything I want in a setup and crucially work for all music genre's I listen to (which is quite a range!)..

My advice is go to all teh HiFi shops and ask for recommendations, then audition. I know you may worry they will flog you something they can't get rid of, but in reality they will probably give you an amp/speaker combo that just sound notably better than anything you would come up with yourself.

Wow you really got a good deal on that DAC! Nice setup dude! Would you say the sub is worth it?

Soldato
Wow you really got a good deal on that DAC! Nice setup dude! Would you say the sub is worth it?

The sub is fantastic and very much worth it. I was very lucky in having a friend who was using one for his small bedroom home cinema setup and was able to demo it prior to demo'ing other subs in the local hi-fi shop.

I decided to take the plunge because I felt alternatives (e.g. from Wharfedale) just didn't seem to have anywhere near the punch or extension when listening to bass heavy tracks.

On getting one, it's actually quite impressive how tight and controlled the bass is, the controls on it (digital) really helped dial it in precisely with the desktop speakers and even for very nuance MOTR/POP music it really adds a nice veil of bass that you instantly notice if you switch it off!

If you like bass to the point you prefer slightly bass orientated headphones, then a sub IMO is really worth it..

Soldato
still using gigaworks T40 ii, i kinda wanna upgrade but would i even notice much difference in sound quality say if i went for some mid range edifiers 2.0's?

Soldato
I need to source two sets of speakers for mine and my sons new gaming PC. I've got a set of 5 x Kef KHT2005.2 Egg speakers from our old surround sound setup and was thinking of utilising 2 pairs of these for the task. I assume I would need some sort of amp to power them, does anyone have a recommendation? Looking at the cheaper end of things and hopefully something quite small as to not take up a lot of desk space.

Thanks

Associate
Still running a set of Acoustic Energies Aego M 2.1 that I picked up about 14 years ago. Probably can be bettered these days for not a lot, but I do most of my listening through headphones these days so they don't see much use unfortunately. Would love to have the space to get a proper set of speakers and amp. Always fancied a Cyrus stack and a pair of proac tablets or 110s.

Soldato
They certainly look nicer than the soundbar. That just looked odd sat below a monitor that is was longer than the monitor was wide. :p

Still running a set of Acoustic Energies Aego M 2.1 that I picked up about 14 years ago. Probably can be bettered these days for not a lot, but I do most of my listening through headphones these days so they don't see much use unfortunately. Would love to have the space to get a proper set of speakers and amp. Always fancied a Cyrus stack and a pair of proac tablets or 110s.

Aego M's would still put most new 2.1 speakers to shame. There's a lot of cheap rubbish with fancy over priced aesthetics out there.

Soldato
Logitech Z533 when they were on sale some years ago at a certain retailer that's still selling them.

For the price I paid, the sound is great, the sub is very punchy and great low rumbles, Reliability issssss meh, research the issues, On standby there's like an annoying coil whine to a point where I unplug the speakers when they're not in use as its intrusive and annoying, and eventually the volume pod that turns the speakers on and off will die, and to fix it is a piece of wire and soldering it to these two metal points inside the pod, has worked perfectly fine since.

Man of Honour
Logitech Z5500, still! Logitech replaced the control station a number of years ago since the light went out and I've changed the fuse on the sub at least once. I don't use them anymore since I bought my DT990s.

Back
Top Bottom