Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
I've just ordered the Ryobi 18v angle grinder as it's on offer at Amazon for £52

Anyone used a brushed cordless grinder that can advise how long it lasts? Wondering if i'd be better paying the extra for the brushless version, or just use the difference to pick up another battery.

Soldato
My Bosch brushless angle grinder can drain a 4ah battery in less than 10 minutes.
They draw massively when giving them hot suppers.
Get a spare!

I went with a corded for my 4inch Bosch grinder as it was first bought to cut paving stones. The smaller size means it takes longer per cut but overall the tool has more uses (cutting concrete board for under tiles, cutting metal kitchen tile trim etc). The corded version is was cheaper too.

Soldato
Christ. Even with a spare that’s not a lot. I was planning on using it to bring some render off bricks.
Thought it’d be safer than my Sds!
Is that a safe task using an angle grinder? My industry uses angle grinders a lot and we get too many accidents from people not treating them with respect. I see You tube videos of people using them one handed without face shields for crafting projects and my heart shudders.

My first thought without seeing the job is SDS must be safer than an angle grinder, I might be wrong in this instance.

Soldato
100% it’d be safer.

I’m just a little concerned about damaging the brick underneath as the end plan is to sandblast it and leave it brick.

it’s lime based so quite soft. I know I could also jerk with an angle grinder and do damage though.

I do have a cheap Lidl cordless grinder. Maybe I’ll use that and my sds and see which is best before buying something!

Soldato
I've just ordered the Ryobi 18v angle grinder as it's on offer at Amazon for £52

Anyone used a brushed cordless grinder that can advise how long it lasts? Wondering if i'd be better paying the extra for the brushless version, or just use the difference to pick up another battery.

Definitely pick up another battery, especially for prolonged use, and I know plenty of people will argue the 'compatible' batteries are fine but my compatible one lasts half as long as the official 5ah battery when used on my Ryobi angle grinder.

Soldato
Maybe a stupid question but for a circular saw do you need to have a bench for it or can you just rest the wood over a gap and cut it? Could do with a small circular saw for the odd job but don't have the room to put a bench anywhere

Soldato
Maybe a stupid question but for a circular saw do you need to have a bench for it or can you just rest the wood over a gap and cut it? Could do with a small circular saw for the odd job but don't have the room to put a bench anywhere

Bench not required but helps, especially when you are cutting off larger sections as you don't want the offcut to sag and bind the blade.

Handful of saw horses would be useful over nothing.

Associate
maybe they are a little small but at the minute Makita 3ah batteries are £22.99 on Amazon they arent as popular now as the 4 or 5ah batteries but for that price I'm gonna pick up a couple

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I've got quite a few of the 3Ah batteries. I'd rather have two 3Ah batteries, with one on charge, that one 4Ah battery. Sure, a single battery won't last as long but at least while one is being charged the other can be in use. The 3Ah is a little lighter, too, so I find it better on my impact driver when up a ladder, for example.

Soldato
Was gonna make a new thread but figured everyone who i'd want to answer will probably get pinged by this thread!

My Aldi Parkside Wet and Dry vac has packed in. I've tried clearing the filter out but there's just no suction at all. It comes with a 3 year guarantee so going to take it back, but from experience they'll likely just refund me rather than repairing/replacing it as it's not a regular stock item.

It was really handy, however from looking at a few options for replacements i'm considering changing style from a big wet/dry vac on casters to one of the more worktop style ones. I only do bits of DIY so not creating masses of dust so capacity isn't an issue and it's be much better to avoid having something taking up limited floor space, whereas ones like the below could just go on a shelf.

These are the 3 i've seen

Scheppach HD2P - Reviews seem decent and it's fairly cheap.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-hd2p-120m-hr-electric-2-in-1-dust-extractor-230v/31896?kpid=31896&ds_kid=92700048793290430&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=CjwKCAiAluLvBRAS
EiwAAbX3GZRo4kPw7kx63usA7rcJfjEr3Qyx0hLa__t4C9e6Slrb4_WQkR64NRoC2OAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then we come onto the cordless variants. These would be really handy from a portability factor but i do have concerns about battery life/suction power.

Ryobi - Cheapish, but i only have 1 Ryobi battery so would need a second
https://www.tooled-up.com/ryobi-r18pv-one18v-cordless-project-vacuum-cleaner/prod/438583/

Dewalt DCV584 - Most expensive of the lot but can use both 18v and 240v which is nice and versatile! There is a DCV586 Brushless model too but that's far too expensive!
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I0...0-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_srdg2

I know there is also a school of though of using a cyclone collector too @DXP55 made one i believe which helps avoid clogging up filters etc.

What do people use to collect dust and any experience of the above?

Back
Top Bottom