First ever build with my 11 year old son

Associate
Hello there, just want to start by saying thanks to the other posts similar to this one and also the people who have replied to them . I've spent what feels like days looking for a pc to give my son for Christmas til I found this site just a few hours ago. I've read a few of the posts and put together items I hope will work and give him a good start to his pc gaming days. I was originally going to go with a pre built but the specs vs money paid has put me off and I think it'll be good one on one time for us both if we build it together. I have neve done anything like this before but have watched several videos on it now and I'm generally quite good with following instructions.

He mainly plays fortnite for now but I wanted to give him a PC that'll last a little while for when he wants to play more intense games. This is what I have put together going through other posts. If anyone has any suggestions on what to change I'm all ears, also will I need anything else to go with this as in other cables etc or will all of these parts enable us to get cracking on Christmas day? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33s-ms.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...raphics-card-black-friday-deal-gx-053-pl.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-240gb-ssd-2.5-sata-6gbps-solid-state-drive-hd-004-gi.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tosh...rmance-hard-drive-hdwd110uzsva-hd-044-ts.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3b9-am.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...md-ryzen-tuned-ddr4-memory-kit-my-4c1-cs.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zalman-z7-neo-midi-tower-case-black-ca-09p-za.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...old-modular-power-supply-black-ca-05z-sf.html

Soldato
What is your budget? What you've put together is a pretty good build however I'd ditch the HDD and just go with a bigger SSD in the build, You could save money on the Motherboard aswell and go with the Tomahawk Max B450 unless you need the built in WiFi

Associate
OP
Thanks mate. My budget was going to be around £700 as that's what I'd be looking at for a reasonably good pre built but I think this smashes most of those out of the water from what I've been reading on other threads on here. I do need the built in WiFi.

Any SSD you could recommend please?

Also sorry for the other post with the links. I had no idea it was breaking site rules.

Associate
OP
Also one thing I meant to ask was. Most of the builds I've been watching on YouTube all seem to have a CPU cooler. Would this not require one? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Soldato
Knew it was gonna be a stupid question. Ha!

There's never a stupid question were not all clued up on everything :)

Below is a spec as a rough guide which you may want to alter to suite you or your sons taste... The 590 will do a brilliant job paired with the Ryzen 3600... I've opted for 1TB storage which again is more than enough and will have the space for when your son wants to play more games, The M.2 will provide fast load times and responses compared to HDD... I've left the case choice out as I find thats a personal choice... :cool:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £685.60 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely swap the hard drives for the 1TB SSD. I had chosen the ram as I know he'll love the RGB aspect. Is there any benefit to the ones you've suggested or is that literally down to price? Also I had read in anther post the graphics card I've chosen was suggested as being better after the person was talking about the Red Dragon 590.. Is there much difference?

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely swap the hard drives for the 1TB SSD. I had chosen the ram as I know he'll love the RGB aspect. Is there any benefit to the ones you've suggested or is that literally down to price? Also I had read in anther post the graphics card I've chosen was suggested as being better after the person was talking about the Red Dragon 590.. Is there much difference?

The 1660 Super is the better GPU out of the two, With the RX590 being the price it is you can't really fault it as its still in the same boat as the 1660 range... The RX590 does have that extra VRAM which can come in handy at times as it's an 8GB GPU compared to the 1660 super 6GB... Another thing to point out is the RX590 is a power hungry card compared to the 1660 super, its power draw is around 230watts which is a big difference to the 1660...

As for the RAM, the Patriot set we've listed has really good timings and for a great price, I've not looked into the Ryzen tuned Corsair RAM you've listed so I can't say much about the timings etc but I'm guessing they'll be spot on

Associate
OP
Thanks again. So I've had a bit of an issue this morning and I might have to spend out some money I wasn't expecting. Good job I hadn't ordered these bits last night. Ha! On the off chance I need to slim down on the budget to around £400 is there anything out there that I can build which will run fortnite as good if not better than a Ps4 for now which we can upgrade over time? I know it's a tiny budget but it might be taken out of my hands.

Associate
OP
Thanks mate. Gonna see how this little hiccup works out. Rubbish time of year for unexpected outlays but it is what it is. Hopefully I can get it sorted and order the bits listed above.

Monitor wise would it be worth going with a 144hz one with that set up or will it not get me close to achieving this on Fortnite? Happy with everything so far just in two minds about which graphics card to go for.

Associate
OP
Fortunately the money situation is going to be okay. I am now swaying more towards the idea of a pre built though for his first PC. Reason being he can get straight into it on Christmas day. I had purchased one earlier on an amazing deal for an i-5, GTX 1660ti but they have since cancelled the ordered saying they priced it wrong. Absolutely gutted. So I'm back t square one really. Benn trying to find out minimum requirements in order to run Fortnite at 144fps but haven't came across anything that's solid advice. So if anyone can suggest the best place to start I'd really appreciate it as time is running out and I feel like I'm pulling my hair out and going round in circles trying to do it myself. I can still purchase the mentioned i5, 1660ti for £718 pre built if that's as good as it's going to get for around £700 and will this give me the 144fps I'm looking for?

Also there's no need for keyboard and mouse and I have a separate budget for a monitor.

Thank you

Soldato
I can still purchase the mentioned i5, 1660ti for £718 pre built if that's as good as it's going to get for around £700 and will this give me the 144fps I'm looking for?

1660Ti will give you around 144 fps average in Fortnite at 1080p resolution with nice settings (everything on Epic except Antialiasing which looks better on High and Shadows High). But make sure the i5 is a 6-core not a 4-core. It likes a bit more than 4 threads for that scenario or it can stutter.

Associate
OP
Yes mate. Here it is. Unless Overclockers have a pre built you think would be a better option and thank you

• System: Intel Core i5-9400F Processor (6 Cores, 2.90GHz Base, 4.10GHz Turbo, 9MB Cache) | H310 Chipset Motherboard | 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM | 240GB SATA-III SSD | 1TB 7200RPM SATA-III HDD
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB Graphics Card | HDMI 2.0b, DVI-D, Displayport v1.4 | 400W 80 Plus Rated Power Supply
  • Connectivity: 4x USB 3.1 Gen 1 | 2x USB 2.0 | 1x PS/2 KB or Mouse Port | 1x RJ45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | 300Mbps 802.11n Wifi | 5.1-Channel High Definition Audio
  • Case & Cooling: Cooler Master Masterbox MB520 Mid Tower Case | Intel Standard Cooler | 4x RGB LED Fans, RFID Remote

Back
Top Bottom