Do you repair tires?

Soldato
Something totally new to me. I can't remember having a flat before, probably have and just swapped it out.

But I see you get repair kits for car tires, do these last, what are your experiences?

Soldato
Aren't most of the those kits designed as a temporary fix rather than a permanent one?

One the odd occasion i've had a flat/puncture and it can be plugged then I've had it plugged, other than that it's been a new tyre.

Soldato
I've plugged motorcycle tires, car tires, truck tires, then used them until they wear out. People are iffy on motorcycle tires but I've shredded them on corners and done 175mph and they are always fine.

Plug it and forget it.

Soldato
Either it's repairable and permanent or you write it off tbh. It's too dangerous to do anything temporary/DIY (unless it's just to get it to a tyre fitter's).

Soldato
I've plugged motorcycle tires, car tires, truck tires, then used them until they wear out. People are iffy on motorcycle tires but I've shredded them on corners and done 175mph and they are always fine.

Plug it and forget it.

Yea and on the flip side I've had my rear tyre on motorcycle rapidly deflate on a motorway due to a plug failing, it isn't fun.

Most garages will do tyre repairs, they take the tyre off and plug it from the inside, if it's a car then I'll get them to do it, normally only cost a tenner or so, I'd say on a motorcycle not worth the risk.

Soldato
never had an issue with proper repairs,

as long as a repair is carried out properly its fine . cover upwards of 100k a year and i've seen brand new tyres get a repair on a number of occasions and run the life of the tyre, never had a repair fail but then again i tend to only use 2 different tyre fitters who are both know their job

Soldato
Got a plugged tyre on my car night now. First time I have actually plugged one I have had a few punctures in the past but they have always been very close to the side wall and not repairable.

I wouldn’t DIY it though. Just goop it or chuck on the spare and get to somewhere that can repair or replace it properly.

Soldato
Something totally new to me. I can't remember having a flat before, probably have and just swapped it out.

But I see you get repair kits for car tires, do these last, what are your experiences?

Don't use kits, take it to a proper tyre place and get it professionally repaired. They will know if it can be done safely or if the tyre needs replacing. There's actually a ISO standard for repairs that should be followed, and it describes when and how a tyre can be repaired.

Soldato
I probably get 5-10 repairs done per year. Never had an issue, but then I never repair tyres with sidewall damage. I’d end up spending a fortune in tyres if I bought a new one every time I got a puncture.

Back
Top Bottom