Accident - Claim from my insurer or other parties insurer

Associate
Hi,

I was involved in a car accident last week where someone drove into the back of me.

I have initially informed my insurance company and they are putting the claim through as a non-fault.

I have just been contracted by the other parties insurer saying I can claim from them instead and this would be better as I wouldn't have to say I’ve made a claim in future.

What’s the general consensus, claim from my own insurer or go to theirs?

I'm thinking sticking with mine is the best idea as the other company would only want to limit their costs.

Associate
I just got out of a bad situation where a neighbour forgot to put her handbrake on, her car crashed into my parked car and nobody was in either one. she claimed through her insurance and I never even spoke to mine, I went through all of the hoops and it wrote off my car (53 plate so uneconomical repair) and it would only affect the renewal price of a similar car when the accident is declared, my other car which I daily drive is unaffected. So even when I haven't made any claims I still have to declare the accident and it affects the renewal quote on a similar car, but nothing else.

If you can get the other party to claim that would be great, but you will still have to declare an accident happened, I don't know how much it would add to the renewal if you went through your insurance.

Associate
You would still need to declare the claim regardless of if you claim from your insure or the third parties. Seems odd they are telling you otherwise - they probably want to use their own cheaper bodyshop etc.

Soldato
Soldato
Go through your own. You have to declare it either way but your own is on your side. It's what you pay them for at the end of the day and they will get you a preferential repair etc.

Soldato
Definitely go through yours as irrespective of who you claim for you'll have to declare an accident (even though it's not your fault) and your insurance company will make sure your interests are looked after rather than their insurance company trying to cheap out on repairs to save money.

Associate
I disagree with the above replies - claiming directly with the 3rd party insurer effectively puts you in control of the claims process - If they mess you about, you simply say "fine, forget it, i'll give an accident management company a call", thus removing their opportunity to save costs. They know this, & the big insurers are well set up to handle 3rd party claims direct.

This is far more preferable than being a slave to the whims of your own insurer IMO.

Soldato
I went direct through the TP's insurer. Got a quote from the bodyshop of my choice and they provided me with a decent enough hire car. I sent them the Uber receipt for the taxi between the hire place and the bodyshop and that was that. There was no question of liability as the TP's van had rolled back into my parked car as they hadn't put the handbrake on properly (or it failed).

Soldato
I disagree with the above replies - claiming directly with the 3rd party insurer effectively puts you in control of the claims process - If they mess you about, you simply say "fine, forget it, i'll give an accident management company a call", thus removing their opportunity to save costs. They know this, & the big insurers are well set up to handle 3rd party claims direct.

This is far more preferable than being a slave to the whims of your own insurer IMO.

Agreed, when someone drove into my girlfriend's old car we dealt directly with their insurance company. The entire process from accident to a nicely-repaired car took about 3 days.

Man of Honour

Yep, that's what I would do.

Associate
Hi,

I was involved in a car accident last week where someone drove into the back of me.

I have initially informed my insurance company and they are putting the claim through as a non-fault.

I have just been contracted by the other parties insurer saying I can claim from them instead and this would be better as I wouldn't have to say I’ve made a claim in future.

I was in the same situation as you and it all went through the other parties insurance.

Was painless tbh, even used my preferred body shop for the work.

Does help if the other party admits 100% liability.

Soldato
Had a recent accident and elected to go through the others insurance as they were at fault.

All went extremely smoothly. Had a superb courtesy car from them and my car was repaired at a very reputable garage. Well impressed with the repair and the service provided

Back
Top Bottom