Lower Temp From Bath Tap.

Soldato
Bit of a strange situation here.
I have turned my water temp up to max on my boiler, the water temp from the taps in the house all run at the same temp apart from the bath tap.
As a test I put the water to maximum, which would actually scold you if you left your hand under for too long, the bath tap runs comfortably hot.
Is there such a thing as not enough water pressure release fromn the tap to initiate the hot water from the boiler?
I cannot think of any reason why the temps would be so different.

Thanks

Soldato
It will have a thermostatic mixing valve on it which is preventing the water being too hot by feeding cold water in. It will be situated behind the bath panel most likely.

Is this a new build?

Soldato
OP
New bathroom fitted recently.

Trying to get hold of the fitter, but as per they are slightly tardy in returning calls. I still havent paid in full so I have that ging for me.

If there is a valve fitted, can that be removed? I understand why it is there, but I would like my own choice of water temp!

Thanks

FNG

FNG

Associate
If you are on a combi system and the tap is a high flow tap it may be that the boiler can not heat it to the higher temperature. Try running it slower and seeing if it gets hotter, that will atleast show that this is the problem.

Soldato
If you are on a combi system and the tap is a high flow tap it may be that the boiler can not heat it to the higher temperature. Try running it slower and seeing if it gets hotter, that will atleast show that this is the problem.

Yep would recommend trying this. Our water flow rate is actually rather good, but if you max out the hot tap the combi boiler struggles to keep up and will then only throw out warm water. Reducing the flow allows the boiler to fully heat all that water.

Soldato
OP

Actually tried this before i saw your post, and this is exactly what is happening. Turned the flow down to around 1/3 and the water is at the correct temp..

Thanks guys

Associate
It will be a thermostatic valve - presumably the plumber has fitted one by default - they are usually set to 48 degrees maximum.

The question above r.e. the new build was relevant in that Approved Doc. G in the Building Regs. requires these to be fitted in new dwellings to prevent persons running a scolding hot bath - I believe there have been instances where people have died from immersing themselves in water that is too hot, hence this regulation is an attempt to try and prevent this.

Soldato
Can I just say that you probably don't need a temp of higher than 50C. You'll just end up mixing it down at the tap and then you've wasted a load of energy heating it up above 50C.

Definitely sounds like a thermostatic mixing valve.
Great idea until you're already in the bath and want to top it up as it's going cold but have to refill half the bath to get it to 38 degrees.

I've set ours at around 55 degrees so no risk of scalding from putting hand under the tap (unless you hold it there for 30 seconds plus) but hot enough to top up a bath.

Associate
Little test to see if a a TMV is fitted turn the cold water feed off at the boiler. And run the hot water on the bath if a tmv is fitted the hot water will shut off as a safety measure (thermal shutdown)

Soldato
Why are people still posting here.....?

Actually tried this before i saw your post, and this is exactly what is happening. Turned the flow down to around 1/3 and the water is at the correct temp..

Thanks guys

Soldato

Thanks guys

This is sort of back to the future, 1960's (even 1980's)

Juggling the water flow through the geyser was a routine thing back in bedsit land days, As was being careful not to actually gas oneself since the geysers were frequently unvented!

Permabanned
you risk the chance of legionnaires' if you don't heat your water up to above 50c. 55c is probably the minimum.

This seems absurdly far fetched that you could get legionnaires in such manner from running a bath via a combi boiler. Do the bacteria have time to proliferate in any significant way in the time from when the water goes above 20 degrees in the combi to when the water goes down the plug say 30 minutes later? I suspect surfactant based products I.e soaps and shampoos would further hamper the bacteria in getting a foothold.

Back
Top Bottom