HP OMEN at 240hz 1440p

Associate
TN is underrated.
Its still the best for high refresh if you look beyond the numbers.

What I am missing in this monitor is motion blur reduction.

Caporegime
I've had TN so not underating it, I rather have a 144-165HZ VA or even IPS than TN, no real gain going to 240HZ.

i have no issues with TN in fact after i have used a proper hardware calibrator with displaycal. i dare anyone to even have a guess at what tech the screen is.

i have used all 3 types of screen and nothing will beat 100% calibration.

Soldato
A good 8bit TN panel@144hz (such as in the swift) is a great screen and would be my preference over IPS or VA for gaming. Most people would struggle in a blind test once calibrated properly.

It's quite amusing how these technologies go in and out of fashion;

It used to be IPS...IPS...IPS, amazing colour accuracy and viewing angles, then it was oh, IPS, yuck, backlight bleed, IPS glow, horrible black levels, crappy motion blur.

Followed by VA...VA...VA, amazing contrast ratio!!!! followed by VA, yuck, black crush, oversaturated colours, motion blur.

You can argue all day long about TN being horrible but I'd take 9% less colour accuracy and actually being able to see the image when you're moving over slightly better static imagery and a blurry mess when you move, this is for gaming of course. Funnily enough I sit in front of my screen when I game so don't care about it looking weird at an angle that I never sit at.

For the record, I've owned all of them, IPS, Eizo, NEC, Hazro. VA, Eizo Fioris, TN, Various 6 bit and an Asus Swift. I also use an iMac Pro and Eizo CG319X at work.

Back on Topic, I believe Vega has one of the Omens and rates it very highly.

Soldato
It's quite amusing how these technologies go in and out of fashion;

It used to be IPS...IPS...IPS, amazing colour accuracy and viewing angles, then it was oh, IPS, yuck, backlight bleed, IPS glow, horrible black levels, crappy motion blur.

Followed by VA...VA...VA, amazing contrast ratio!!!! followed by VA, yuck, black crush, oversaturated colours, motion blur.

The problem is that what you've described there is pretty much how the technologies have developed. VA panels did have great contrast ratios but they also did suffer from black crush and motion blur. I had a 27" benQ GW2760HS and the contrast ratio really was brilliant for the time but the motion blur was at the bad end of the range, there's no getting away from that. I dont think many people flipped between thinking VA was amazing then VA was rubbish, it's more a case of 'VA has it's drawbacks' and that's pretty much the same for any of the other competing technologies.

These days, those lines between VA, IPS and TN are WAAAY more bluurred.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've had my TN gsync unit for 4 years and have no complaints. The colours aren't as good as my 60hz IPS panel, but i didn't buy it for the colours. They look washed out due to the anti glare panel on the glass - could just remove it to improve them.

or just calibrate it properly by buying a calibrator

Back
Top Bottom