• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
What kind of memory are you choosing for the 3900x?

I'm not planning on overclocking but don't want to cripple the system with slow memory.

3600Mhz CL16 is the sweet spot, RAM is relatively cheap at the moment compared to what it was in July (think I paid £150-160 for the 8pack stuff)and it's meant to go up again.

Man of Honour
Enabled virtualisation on my 3900X while I play around with Docker and teach myself Zalenium. No noticeable difference in performance around day to day use but I do get a 10-15% drop in Cinebench score. Is that expected? I would have though it would make no difference at all, either positive or negative as it's not used unless you're using a VM but does it do something within Windows and core utilisation that might affect a benchmark?

Soldato
Enabled virtualisation on my 3900X while I play around with Docker and teach myself Zalenium. No noticeable difference in performance around day to day use but I do get a 10-15% drop in Cinebench score. Is that expected? I would have though it would make no difference at all, either positive or negative as it's not used unless you're using a VM but does it do something within Windows and core utilisation that might affect a benchmark?
I run VM's and have tested with SVM enabled/disabled and it makes no difference to benchmarks for me.

Soldato
What is that board like? I have been worrying that the PCH fan, is noisy? or is the heatsink big enough not to have the fan on at all/much? thanks

When I had that board the PCH fan would spin up but wasn't particularly noticeable over a "normal" case with 2-3 120mm fans installed.

In a more silence orientated build it might be noticeable although not really annoying.

I will say the fan was much quieter than the chipset fans of yor. I have a older XFX 780I SLI board that sounds like it will take off when the chipset fan ramps up!

Associate
Why 'stuck'? I thought it was a good board.

Yeah it's a great board, so just kept it rather than go x570 when I got the 3900x. One thing I will say is t asrock are garbage with support. Still no 1.0.0.4 official bios which was supposed to drop in November. Having to use beta bios to fix the boosting, which seems okay to new fair.

Back
Top Bottom