**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Associate
How bad is the battery life on the Pixel 4 and 4XL? My current P2 since the December update hasn't been that good and doesn't last the day with simple usage.

Are there any other devices that come close to the camera apart from switching to an iPhone 11 Pro Max?

Has the video been fixed by any software or still garbage?

Associate
How bad is the battery life on the Pixel 4 and 4XL? My current P2 since the December update hasn't been that good and doesn't last the day with simple usage.

I've had my 4XL for around 2 weeks now, and I can just about go 2 days of light usage (Twitter, Insta, WhatsApp, emails and phone calls) before I need to charge - I have not yet run the battery down to below 5%. I have switched off the AOD as that did appear to use battery quite a bit, and now the screen wakes when I have a new notification.

Associate
I've had my 4XL for around 2 weeks now, and I can just about go 2 days of light usage (Twitter, Insta, WhatsApp, emails and phone calls) before I need to charge - I have not yet run the battery down to below 5%. I have switched off the AOD as that did appear to use battery quite a bit, and now the screen wakes when I have a new notification.

That's exactly my sort of usage. Two days usage is a must if upgrading. Seen few crop up on eBay at a bigger saving than RRP so getting tempted. Wanted to jump to iPhone but can't think it's worth 1k just for the camera alone. The video seems more impressive though. Pixel needs to fix that in the next iteration.

Associate
I would hazard that the photo quality on the pixel is at least as good as the iPhone but I wouldn't hold your breath on it being as good for video anytime soon. If you want good video then the iPhone is probably worth the money but for stills no way.

Soldato
Not big on there agenda for whatever reason. I guess half of the magic of Google cameras is the software and post processing. The hardware is nothing special.

They can't work the magic in video

Soldato
So some updates for apps aside from password managers have been trickling out which support the "new" biometric apis that are actually a year old. Examples I use are HMRC (shocking!!!) and ADP (payslips). The banks still don't want to know though so I've reported the ones I use to the financial ombudsman as a security risk.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Anyone else having issues with the latest version of Google Photo's and backing up? It started yesterday or the day before, Just sits there 'Getting ready to back up' but never actually backs up the most recent. Uninstalling updates seems to fix it, and it doesn't seem to be a problem on my old 2XL regardless of version used.

Just me or anyone else seen this?

So I think I know whats causing this.....

I did a factory reset of my phone yesterday evening and set it up as new without backups, it was fine until the Google Play System (in the security settings, AKA Project Mainline) updated itself. Now photo uploading is broken again. :mad:

Google please.

Associate
So some updates for apps aside from password managers have been trickling out which support the "new" biometric apis that are actually a year old. Examples I use are HMRC (shocking!!!) and ADP (payslips). The banks still don't want to know though so I've reported the ones I use to the financial ombudsman as a security risk.

Such a shame the banks aren't taking this seriously. Maybe by the time the Pixel 5 rolls around this will be resolved as that is the one thing about the iPhone I actually loved!

Soldato
Such a shame the banks aren't taking this seriously. Maybe by the time the Pixel 5 rolls around this will be resolved as that is the one thing about the iPhone I actually loved!

This is Google's OS and bad apps reflect badly on Google because they allow them to proliferate. They should be telling banks to sort out their apps or they get pulled from the Play Store.

Associate
This is Google's OS and bad apps reflect badly on Google because they allow them to proliferate. They should be telling banks to sort out their apps or they get pulled from the Play Store.

I agree, they should. This was actually one reason I didn't buy a Pixel 4. I knew it would be fixed at some stage, but nobody ever knows when, and invariably, it always takes a long time. The UW lens is the other thing. Will google ever listen to its customers I wonder?

Soldato

No, they really shouldn't. That would be what Apple might do, but not how Google operates, nor should they IMO. Google's way has benefits and drawbacks. You take one with the other...

Soldato
No, they really shouldn't. That would be what Apple might do, but not how Google operates, nor should they IMO. Google's way has benefits and drawbacks. You take one with the other...

So, to a generally positive response, Google brings secure face unlock to Android. Every buyer of the Pixel 4 pays for the face unlock hardware and the R&D that went into it. Yet because Google (the creator of the hardware and software) won't put its foot down, every buyer of the Pixel 4 ends up with a bad experience. And people wonder why the other big Android hardware manufacturers don't bother with face unlock.

It's strange that in other ways (such as insisting that every version of Android 10 comes with its own interpretation of gestures), Google is happy to dictate. I can't understand the logic. Customers lose, but it's somehow right because, for some completely unfathomable reason, it's imperative that "you take one with the other", rather than Google being flexible.

Associate
So, to a generally positive response, Google brings secure face unlock to Android. Every buyer of the Pixel 4 pays for the face unlock hardware and the R&D that went into it. Yet because Google (the creator of the hardware and software) won't put its foot down, every buyer of the Pixel 4 ends up with a bad experience. And people wonder why the other big Android hardware manufacturers don't bother with face unlock.

It's strange that in other ways (such as insisting that every version of Android 10 comes with its own interpretation of gestures), Google is happy to dictate. I can't understand the logic. Customers lose, but it's somehow right because, for some completely unfathomable reason, it's imperative that "you take one with the other", rather than Google being flexible.

Yeah I was thinking of the P4, but I know for a fact the apps I use that currently use Fingerprint will eventually get updated to support Face Unlock in 2030.

It's frustrating and it's something that has put me off.

It should almost be a requirement to support it the next time the Dev pushes an update. If they've not implemented it, the update doesn't get pushed?

Soldato
Yeah I was thinking of the P4, but I know for a fact the apps I use that currently use Fingerprint will eventually get updated to support Face Unlock in 2030.

It is very frustrating yes but there are surprises like HMRC and ADP that have done things properly. What I don't understand is the new API is a replacement for fingerprint so phones running 9 or 10 can use it even if they don't have face unlock. If the banks updated their apps when 9 came out to use the API then those on P4s would have got face unlock for free with no changes needed. Total madness.

Associate
Whatever the rights and wrongs, one thing I can say is that it did put ME off buying a Pixel 4. And I am sure I wasn't the only one. When these things cost what they do, then I don't want to wait until I'm half way through its life before I can use the feature it offers properly, especially when rivals got it right out of the gate.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Well as someone who always suffered from his fingerprints stopping working after a couple of days/weeks regardless of what phone he used, I for one am super happy with face unlock! It has never failed me and frankly, so what if I have to put a pin in to use my banking apps, hardly a hardship, and tbh I'd rather that as its a bit more secure.

Soldato
so what if I have to put a pin in to use my banking apps, hardly a hardship, and tbh I'd rather that as its a bit more secure.

How is it more secure, particularly if you're out in public and need to tap in your pin? You're happy with face unlock because it's convenient. Wouldn't it be better if it just worked for everything without you having to alternate between pin and face unlock? Maybe you're okay with it, but mixing and matching security methods like this is a bad customer experience.

Soldato
Every buyer of the Pixel 4 pays for the face unlock hardware and the R&D that went into it. Yet because Google (the creator of the hardware and software) won't put its foot down, every buyer of the Pixel 4 ends up with a bad experience.

For one, I don't feel like I have a bad experience personally.

As a part time developer, I wouldn't want Google to start dictating how I must code and what features I must use or they will remove my apps from the store. If I had an app that uses a PIN number to log in, then Google removes it as I haven't used Face Unlock, I don't think that would be too fair.

As I said, it seems more something Apple would do.

Back
Top Bottom