• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 5 3500X / 3900 (non-x) ???

Associate
For around £140 I would be very satisfied. For anything close to £100 it’s a bargain!

that's what I was thinking. I did a new build a couple of months ago (3700x) so I have a main pc but was also thinking about a backup pc to replace the i7 920 i have. The motherboard on the i7 920 failed (second hand motherboards, not the cheaper boards from China, seem to go for around £100 on the bay) which is why I went for the new build which I'm very happy with. But I didn't like not having a backup in case I need it, which I did need a couple of months back.

3500x and Tomahawk max motherboard (unless there's a better value option?) and 16gb ram comes to around £260, which sounds like a very decent value for money build. GPU wise i have an r9 280 from my i7 920 build.

Associate
OP
Ordered! for £110.52

£91.17 for the 3500X
£19.35 for shipping (tracked)

This will be for a new 'shoe string budget' gaming rig build. (upgrading from i7 6700k).

3500X.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just ordered it, probably will not turn up till sometime in January (but no rush).
I'm more curious than anything, I like to mess around and tinker lol.

You can get the 3600 for £21 more,shipped

£21 saved then... it can go towards an cheap X570 mobo. :)
a friend just did a build on a budget, he paid £89 for a 2600,, i dont dear show him this

£89 isn't a bad deal for a 2600, the only issue is it's old tech now.
No PCIe Gen4, no IPC improvement, no higher memory clocks etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The B550 and A520 boards should be out by then.

The catch is no PCIe Gen4 though.

While not really an game changer here and now but it's probably best to have gen4 going forward for future proofing though.
We 'might' start seeing larger FPS percentage differences between gen3 and gen4 if future GFX cards can better utilise the available bandwidth.
The 3Dmark PCIe bandwidth test does clearly show an difference, but it is an extreme test case condition designed to show just that.
I couldn't point to an actual game that bottlenecks to the same degree in the same way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just how Fickle is the internet?

Normally when any electronic parts are made just for the Chinese market you will have someone somewhere ( especially reddit ) pointing out that all these parts have to comply with government requirements for access yet when a cheap CPU comes along not a single hint of a conspiracy theory and everyone on places like reddit are recommending it.

Easily bought? :)

Associate
Stop messing about.
Buy a 3600 and turn off SMT. If you now play those games in the video and you will see similar or better results.
That's the case for all ryzen cpu's when you play them on game engines not optimised to use threads.

I have just seen a 3600 for £167 from on another retailer that also sell used stuff. regardless you can buy it at that price with a voucher

Associate
I get the feeling these would sell ridiculously well if they came to the uk, especially if they were exclusive to OCUK.

I think I'll be getting one to upgrade my 1600, curious to find out first though from whoever orders one to see about any charges etc.

Back
Top Bottom