Is it worth upgrading a i7 980x 2010 build advice please?

Caporegime
You wont notice tbh,you can put them on the marvell ports they just dont or never have been as reliable as the intel ports,it was when sata3 first came out,marvell introduced them first

Tbh I wouldnt even entertain a mech hdd,just get a large 2tb ssd or a couple of em,they are quieter and more reliable

Its christmas,treat yourself to ryzen mb,ram,cpu,or wait till b550 boards come out

On marvell,youll see around 300mb read/write,on modern sata3 around 550mb read/write

On intel sata2 around 250mb read/write

Associate
OP
You wont notice tbh,you can put them on the marvell ports they just dont or never have been as reliable as the intel ports,it was when sata3 first came out,marvell introduced them first

Tbh I wouldnt even entertain a mech hdd,just get a large 2tb ssd or a couple of em,they are quieter and more reliable

Its christmas,treat yourself to ryzen mb,ram,cpu,or wait till b550 boards come out

On marvell,youll see around 300mb read/write,on modern sata3 around 550mb read/write

On intel sata2 around 250mb read/write

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind.

I think I might price up a new build and see if it would be better value for money in the long run. Fortunately I wont need to buy monitors, speakers, keyboard and mouse as I already have those. I think I will also be able to re-use my psu as that's still good. So it will be the CPU, MB, RAM, Windows10 on top of the already planned SSD and GPU. Possibly a better case as well.

I will need a good cpu for 3D rendering, so I reckon it will be over a £1000 to be a new build?

Caporegime
Not that much,just buy the essentials,

Your current mb is worth a bit now as its old,rare

If it were me id probably pick a b450 mb,tomahawk max or carbon pro,16gb patriot viper steel 4400mhz,and maybe a 3600 ryzen or a 3700x ryzen,and a 2tb samsung qvo,a win 10 key are around £10 circa £500total

Could just pickup an ssd to tide you over,parts can be carried over later

Associate
OP
Not that much,just buy the essentials,

Your current mb is worth a bit now as its old,rare

If it were me id probably pick a b450 mb,tomahawk max or carbon pro,16gb patriot viper steel 4400mhz,and maybe a 3600 ryzen or a 3700x ryzen,and a 2tb samsung qvo,a win 10 key are around £10 circa £500total

ok, £500 not too bad :)

Never realised my MB might be worth a bit like you say, do people buy old kit like this? Just had a quick look on ebay and they are going for £90 and above, but no bids on them!

Caporegime
Depends how desperate someone needs an x58,maybe £60-70

The ryzen 3600 or 3700x will be way faster than current cpu,as wpuld an ssd in current setup

Just think about it,might be some good deals in the january sales ect

Associate
OP
Depends how desperate someone needs an x58,maybe £60-70

The ryzen 3600 or 3700x will be way faster than current cpu,as wpuld an ssd in current setup

Just think about it,might be some good deals in the january sales ect

Ok, not a bad idea trying to sell my old parts to get a bit of money back.

A new build might be a better option in the long run and I am not in a hurry for it, so looking in January would be fine. To upgrade mine I think I was planning on spending about £200 - 250 for the GPU and £100 or so for the SSD. I was getting those anyway, so it would make sense to plan ahead.

The main thing that is holding me back it is letting go of a pc that I have had for so long and works fine now. Silly really to get attached to something like that, but I am sure you will understand where i am coming from after building your own pc's?

My son has got windows 10, so I think I might install my old version of Cinema 4D on there and give it a test to make sure it works ok

Caporegime
I understand,but coming from an old x58,a modern 6 or 8 core cpu,mb like driving a ferrari,the modern boards have more features too and they dont coil whine like the x58s did

But like you say,you can always buy the ssd and gpu now,and carry it over,along with psu and case to a new build,then it just leaves the mb,ram,cpu to buy later on

Associate
OP
I understand,but coming from an old x58,a modern 6 or 8 core cpu,mb like driving a ferrari,the modern boards have more features too and they dont coil whine like the x58s did

But like you say,you can always buy the ssd and gpu now,and carry it over,along with psu and case to a new build,then it just leaves the mb,ram,cpu to buy later on

Yes, I think I am safe to get a SSD and GPU now that will work in both and do the rest later.

One of the main things I will also need to do if I plan on using it for gaming, is sort out my internet connection. My pc is upstairs, on wifi and is the furthest away from the router. So quite often the connection is not so good, definitely not good enough for gaming. I was looking at perhaps getting the TP link AV2000 powerlines and then connecting by cable to see if its better.

What is coil whine?

Caporegime
Coil whine is a light high pitched whine when your listening to music through your headphones or sitting in game menus,youll hear it,I think all of my x58 boards did it,modern boards dont tend to do it

Yeah either powerlines or connect a cable from router to pc

Associate
OP
Coil whine is a light high pitched whine when your listening to music through your headphones or sitting in game menus,youll hear it,I think all of my x58 boards did it,modern boards dont tend to do it

Yeah either powerlines or connect a cable from router to pc

Ok, thank you. I didn't know about that. Don't think I have ever heard that on my pc, but then I have never used headphones with it.

I am using a sky q router which only has one cable port and my xbox is using that. So I think my best option would be to use a powerline with more cable ports to help

Soldato
Thanks. Just had a look at the motherboard manual and you are right, it has two marvel sata 6.0 gb/s ports.

What is the problem with the marvel ports and will I notice a difference in speed if I have my hdd and planned ssd on both sata 2 ports?

Starting to wonder if it might be better to consider a new build rather than put good money into old?

Having an ssd even on Sata 2 will give you about 5x the speed of a hdd so if Windows takes a minute to load on the hdd the ssd will take about 12 seconds.

It probably is a good time to upgrade and you could sell your old mb cpu and ram for around £200 then throw that towards a cheap ryzen system.

Soldato
I'm not totally sure the new CPUs will be noticeably faster than the 980x. It's old, sure, but the Nehalem chips were ground breaking.

SSD and new GPU will make a big difference. And ten years in I'd start to fret about the PSU. But 6C/12GB, triple memory channel, that's not way off the pace today.

Well, unless you go to AMDs high end. Which is much faster.

Associate
OP
Hi,

Quick question about my psu and getting a new gpu please;

New gpu requires power connectors of 1x6 pin and 1x8pin

My current set up has a gpu / psu with 2x6 pin connectors inserted with 1x2 pin connector loose on the side of the cable (not inserted).

I am sure this has been asked before. But is my connector set up ok for the new gpu? by clipping in the loose 2 pin connector to make up the 8 pin?

Thank you

Associate
OP
I'm not totally sure the new CPUs will be noticeably faster than the 980x. It's old, sure, but the Nehalem chips were ground breaking.

SSD and new GPU will make a big difference. And ten years in I'd start to fret about the PSU. But 6C/12GB, triple memory channel, that's not way off the pace today.

Well, unless you go to AMDs high end. Which is much faster.

Thank you, that's good to hear and given me a positive view to keeping my cpu as it is for now. I must admit for what I use it for, its still quick. But I think I will go for the change in a ssd and new gpu

My cpu has never been removed since build and runs at about 30 - 35 degrees. Jumping up for a short time when rendering.

Should I be concerned about my psu? It seems ok. But if it failed, could it damage the hardware or just stop altogether?

Associate
OP
Hi,

I have just ordered my graphics card and about to do the SSD from overclockers, but was looking for some advice on it please?

My current HDD is 1tb with windows 7, some games, personal files, CAD software, Cinema 4D, some other software - I have only used 331gb of its capacity, 125gb of that are steam games (barely played!). Since the first day of use I have never filled up the drive.

I am a bit fussy of where I install my software and personal files, so most of that will go back on the HDD and in one main folder.

So looking ahead, If I install software like Cinema 4D back onto the hdd, is that defeating the object or will there be not much difference if it was on the ssd? This will obviously determine the ssd size, which size do you think would be suitable, 500gb or 1TB?

At this point I am also looking into windows 10 as it would make sense to do it now, just got to check my software compatibility first.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom