Win10 or Win7 for new PC?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Though I use dark mode for OcUK I'm not a fan of full on dark mode - my Windows 7 have a nice glossy/transparent mix aero glass dark theme which gives a nice balance - can't really do that with Windows 10.

I found some screenshots of Windows 7/Vista going back 10 years or so where I too used to use Aero glass along with various tweaks to get more glass effects in all apps and for the time it was great, but side by side to what Windows 10 looks like now it's pretty clear that one looks far more professional and modern than than the other IMO!

Check these bad boys out!

windows7.jpg

desktop_colourbars.jpg

Soldato
Its like they put work into Vista and though, meh, we can do better than that and put the utmost effort into Seven and thought thats our best looking OS ever! Hey that was great lets do the best we can for full on Metro/Tiles for Eight, thats it, we're done with desktop UI's. Tiles is the future!

Wait, whats that, the users don't like Tiles all over their desktop, whats the matter with them? And you're telling me we have to go back to an old fashioned UI? You're kidding me! Here, they can have this piece of crap we've thrown together into 10 and we're done. Screw 'em.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I much prefer Windows 10 in its current form!

Never used to like 10 start menu though, always used Classic Shell. But ever since they allows grouping and sizing, it's been great and easy to get to organised apps.

Soldato
Its like they put work into Vista and though, meh, we can do better than that and put the utmost effort into Seven and thought thats our best looking OS ever! Hey that was great lets do the best we can for full on Metro/Tiles for Eight, thats it, we're done with desktop UI's. Tiles is the future!

Wait, whats that, the users don't like Tiles all over their desktop, whats the matter with them? And you're telling me we have to go back to an old fashioned UI? You're kidding me! Here, they can have this piece of crap we've thrown together into 10 and we're done. Screw 'em.

7 was designed for PCs. 10 was designed to be on PCs, tablets and phones. The UI shows that compromise. I'm sure the marketing men also wanted 10 to look different, so they could sell it as being obviously new to look at.

Man of Honour
Check these bad boys out!

Going a bit too far heh - I have the transparency dialled to almost but not quite off so you get a nice blend.

7 was designed for PCs. 10 was designed to be on PCs, tablets and phones. The UI shows that compromise. I'm sure the marketing men also wanted 10 to look different, so they could sell it as being obviously new to look at.

This is one of the things that bugs me about 10 and the legacy of such approach holds it back even now - for a long time they built around the lowest common denominator platform wise which made it very poor on the desktop. What they should have done is built it around a backend data structure that was fully abstract from the front end allowing the front end to represent the data in a flexible manner relevant to any device - so the start menu for instance could have scaled from as simple as a text menu through to various flavours of start menu or full screen menu as the user wished and device supported using the same backend data.

MS seem to have forgotten what the purpose of an operating system actually is (i.e. enable the user and as much as possible be transparent to the user) and what an "as a service" model actually is supposed to achieve and hiding behind some BS to cover for their inept approaches.

Last edited:
Soldato
Problem with that statement is it's really a preference thing, end of the day we all have our favourite OS, but even then we realise it will one day be phased out and time to move to a new OS. Do I think 10 is bad as some people think? No, do I think Win7 is great? No. Do I like Linux? Yes, end of the day we all have different opinions and real life experiences with operating systems.

It's not about having a "favourite" OS, it's about moving from one version of Windows to another whilst still keeping the same benefits we had before but improving on ones that needed to be improved. From what I can tell, the only "benefit" Windows 10 has over 7 is hardware and software support - i.e MOVE OVER OR WE WILL FORCE YOU TO. The UI is a mess of touchscreen, nasty tiles and adverts. Control Panel is completely schizophrenic as part has moved to the settings app, but part has remained behind. Yet the settings app lacks any of the intuity that Control Panel has. The code itself is full of bloat in an attempt to harvest any data it can about the user so that it can be sent back to Microsoft towers and marketed and sold to the highest bidder. Updates are a mess, sometimes they intrude, sometimes they don't, sometimes they turn themselves back on, sometimes they don't.

I mean come on, nobody had to worry about any of this crap on Windows 7. As i've said on other threads, it's like when you buy a laptop from an OEM and it's absolutely stuffed to bursting with bloatware and keyloggers, and you have to format it first with a clean copy of Windows to even begin to make it usable. Windows has become exactly like that, except you don't have the option to install the "clean" version, and yet not only do people give Microsoft a free pass in this regard, they even defend them on the forums! If someone would like to explain this mentality to me i'd be happy to listen to it, because it seems moronic at a basic level.

Man of Honour
I mean come on, nobody had to worry about any of this crap on Windows 7. As i've said on other threads, it's like when you buy a laptop from an OEM and it's absolutely stuffed to bursting with bloatware and keyloggers, and you have to format it first with a clean copy of Windows to even begin to make it usable. Windows has become exactly like that, except you don't have the option to install the "clean" version, and yet not only do people give Microsoft a free pass in this regard, they even defend them on the forums! If someone would like to explain this mentality to me i'd be happy to listen to it, because it seems moronic at a basic level.

It boggles my mind they still can't get a simple app store type system right and move all software installation/setup to it - even though that would necessitate some work to wrapper legacy software (but I'm sure there would be no shortage of community effort to make older stuff work with it if done right). Though there would be some interesting challenges like getting Steam, etc. so install software using it and so on. Then you could have profiles to quickly deploy your most used software on new machines, etc. etc.

Soldato
If I wanted to get all conspiracy theorist on the subject i'd maybe ask how the EU et al. were happy to pursue Microsoft over something as easily circumvented as the default installation of a browser, yet oddly they stay completely silent when the same company use their complete stranglehold over the PC gaming market to force people onto an OS designed to harvest all their data.

I mean surely there couldn't possibly be any foul play there, right?

Soldato
For windows 10 there seems to be a lot of "All you have to do is..."

I liked 7 better where the OS generally left you alone and "all you had to do" was turn your computer on.

Man of Honour
You don’t have to use a PC you could buy a console. Nobody is making you go that way. Everyone has a choice.

In the real world not really - a lot of stuff I do (programming, work, some of the drivers/software for external hardware I use like oscilloscopes, etc.) there is no option but to use Windows and personally I don't get any enjoyment out of gaming on a controller a small number of genres aside.

The "choice" in this case is sometimes to deny yourself often largely because of developer laziness or ineptitude which won't be fixed by being quiet, debatable if anything will come about from speaking up but the more people who do the more likely the voices will be heard and need mass migration to another platform otherwise to change anything and that isn't going to happen realistically when people have a dependency on using something.

Permabanned
In the real world not really - a lot of stuff I do (programming, work, some of the drivers/software for external hardware I use like oscilloscopes, etc.

Well you need windows then don't you. You don't have a choice in the matter really unless you move platforms and stop doing what you are doing as a job where you don't rely on windows or a computer.

Soldato
It's not about having a "favourite" OS, it's about moving from one version of Windows to another whilst still keeping the same benefits we had before but improving on ones that needed to be improved. From what I can tell, the only "benefit" Windows 10 has over 7 is hardware and software support - i.e MOVE OVER OR WE WILL FORCE YOU TO. The UI is a mess of touchscreen, nasty tiles and adverts. Control Panel is completely schizophrenic as part has moved to the settings app, but part has remained behind. Yet the settings app lacks any of the intuity that Control Panel has. The code itself is full of bloat in an attempt to harvest any data it can about the user so that it can be sent back to Microsoft towers and marketed and sold to the highest bidder. Updates are a mess, sometimes they intrude, sometimes they don't, sometimes they turn themselves back on, sometimes they don't.

You are not forced, every OS has a limited lifespan regardless of which one you choose, so your choice if you want to move on or stay on an older OS that is not as secure or may not be supported in the near future, as to worrying about crap on Win7, that is funny since I never had to worry about any OS in general unless you want to talk about the infamous VIA 4 in 1 drivers on WinXP and VIA motherboards back then that caused a few serious issues.

I agree to bloatware on OEM laptops etc, as to Win10 on clean install, well I never had any real issues except one (the WU activation bug that they fixed within a week).

Some people expect too much or want it to be a certain way, end of the day Microsoft will do what they feel is best, you can give them constructive feedback and hope some things change for the better, I find it is easier to adapt to their changes rather then get them to change things to your way, guess this why I have had no real issues since DOS days to Win10 over the decades, same goes for my Linux OS as well.

Again we all have different needs and expectations from an OS, we use it in different ways as well so you'll never get a perfect OS, Win7 was far from perfect, in fact no OS is perfect or close to perfection.
Btw I don't have any issues with Control Panel on 10 FYI.

:)

Soldato
You are not forced, every OS has a limited lifespan regardless of which one you choose, so your choice if you want to move on or stay on an older OS that is not as secure or may not be supported in the near future,

Yes, you've just confirmed it. Microsoft put a gun to your head and say "move or else we'll leave you to all sorts of exploits". That's before we even start about all the forced obsolescence from manufacturers, no doubt encouraged by Microsoft also. I mean why are there no X500 motherboard drivers despite Windows 7 being the second most popular operating system?

I agree to bloatware on OEM laptops etc, as to Win10 on clean install, well I never had any real issues except one (the WU activation bug that they fixed within a week).

Some people expect too much or want it to be a certain way, end of the day Microsoft will do what they feel is best, you can give them constructive feedback and hope some things change for the better, I find it is easier to adapt to their changes rather then get them to change things to your way, guess this why I have had no real issues since DOS days to Win10 over the decades, same goes for my Linux OS as well.

Again we all have different needs and expectations from an OS, we use it in different ways as well so you'll never get a perfect OS, Win7 was far from perfect, in fact no OS is perfect or close to perfection.
Btw I don't have any issues with Control Panel on 10 FYI.

Microsoft's decisions are based on doing what they feel will make them the most money - that's fine, they are a business. But then they actively work to discourage usage of any other operating system, giving incentives to OEMs and refusing to open things like DirectX up to other operating systems. Now we have an operating system that has free rein to send all your data back to Microsoft to do whatever they want with.

You can't argue "there is a choice" when the market leader spends millions trying to discourage and stifle the competition. That's the very definition of an anti-competitive monopoly. But as i've said, people just seem to take it.

Soldato
You are not forced, every OS has a limited lifespan regardless of which one you choose, so your choice if you want to move on or stay on an older OS that is not as secure or may not be supported in the near future, as to worrying about crap on Win7, that is funny since I never had to worry about any OS in general unless you want to talk about the infamous VIA 4 in 1 drivers on WinXP and VIA motherboards back then that caused a few serious issues.

So when is Windows 11 due to appear? By your own logic Windows 10 has a limited lifespan so we ought to be seeing a replacement in the works soon eh?

Or maybe they just want everyone off 7 so they can make as much money as possible harvesting data from us with 10.

Permabanned
So when is Windows 11 due to appear? By your own logic Windows 10 has a limited lifespan so we ought to be seeing a replacement in the works soon eh?

Or maybe they just want everyone off 7 so they can make as much money as possible harvesting data from us with 10.

Windows 10 come out July 2015 so I recon the next version of Windows will be back end of 2020. Another year to get everyone off XP/7/8 where possible.

Soldato
Yes, you've just confirmed it. Microsoft put a gun to your head and say "move or else we'll leave you to all sorts of exploits". That's before we even start about all the forced obsolescence from manufacturers, no doubt encouraged by Microsoft also. I mean why are there no X500 motherboard drivers despite Windows 7 being the second most popular operating system?

Microsoft's decisions are based on doing what they feel will make them the most money - that's fine, they are a business. But then they actively work to discourage usage of any other operating system, giving incentives to OEMs and refusing to open things like DirectX up to other operating systems. Now we have an operating system that has free rein to send all your data back to Microsoft to do whatever they want with.

You can't argue "there is a choice" when the market leader spends millions trying to discourage and stifle the competition. That's the very definition of an anti-competitive monopoly. But as i've said, people just seem to take it.

I use Linux more, I only use Windows for gaming, end of the day you know what you have to do, only constructive feedback to them is only way to change them, unless you know a better way to change their minds? I always like to try new things ,probably why I moved from DOS to Win3.11,95,98,2K,XP,Vista,7,8,8.1,10 etc, same with Linux as well, does that me a bad person or being forced? Hell no.

FYI I'm not on their side, but think I know how their mind set works, yes they are stubborn and don't listen to people unless they really need too,thank God we have Linux for general use.

Last point, as to drivers I have always stated that is down to hardware manufacturer in question, some companies are better then others when it comes to driver support, Microsoft does not have the monopoly on that and make all the drivers for every piece of hardware out there, other companies must take responsibility for their drivers with their hardware, just like back in Vista days when most companies were lazy to bring out 64 bit Vista drivers for Vista x64.

Last edited:
Soldato

Microsoft have been making new OS since DOS days, only at 10 have they decided to make internal changes rather then new 11, 12 etc, however it's not set in stone so we don't know what the future will bring, nobody is forced off an OS, there are still some people using XP let alone Win7.

End of the day your choice on what you use, my choice is 10 for gaming and Linux for everything else, that works for me. Every user out there will need to decide what's best for them. If you have issues or complaints with Microsoft then tell them, all companies are here to make money, you have to decide if they are worth your hard earned money not me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom