• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6900K to Ryzen 3900?

Associate
I have had my 6900K running at 4.5Ghz for the last few years. It is running nicely with a 1080Ti.

Over the last few months I have thought about changing my rig for something more up to date.

Would there be any perceivable benefit to me spending circa £1000 in changing to a Ryzen 3900?

I surf, game and use my rig for movies etc.

I am thinking I might get £400 back by putting my old gear on the MM or other sites?

Cheers all

Matt

Associate
No,i'm getting that upgrade itch as well , but in reality anything is just a sidegrade right now so i'm resisting 'new and shiny' because i'd be gaining here , losing there for the net benefit of 0% value,don't get me wrong Ryzen is looking impressive but i think i'll wait for the next gen and see what it brings.

Soldato
I have had my 6900K running at 4.5Ghz for the last few years. It is running nicely with a 1080Ti.

Over the last few months I have thought about changing my rig for something more up to date.

Would there be any perceivable benefit to me spending circa £1000 in changing to a Ryzen 3900?

I am thinking I might get £400 back by putting my old gear on the MM or other sites?

Cheers all

Matt
what do you do ? game? as above if it works no need, but at the same time each new gen means lower resale value for old kit. Ram prices are the lowest they've been etc, if you need extra cores worth it !

Soldato
I have had my 6900K

X99 system? DDR4 RAM already sorted then

It'll cost you £480 for the CPU, plus a board ~£250. So less than £750 in real terms, I think you'd be lucky to get £300 for your current board and CPU however.

Much of an upgrade? Depends what you do the most. Going from 8c/16t to 12c/24t could fetch a 50% uplift in somethings, in others literally nothing.

Associate
OP
True enough. I factored in a new CPU water block and some tighter ram as mine is 3200 16 18 18. In the past AMD CPUs have always gone well with quick ram.

Thanks

Matt

Caporegime

Cheers all

Matt
Unless you are doing things that require intensive multi-threaded prowess then the upgrade would be wasted. For gaming it's fine and I would rather hold on and upgrade the GPU when Ampere is released next year.

Back
Top Bottom