**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Been using those dunlop for years, but I find them noisy , not 68db at all (205/55/17) I was going to get Michelin pilot sports (used them on my old clio sport) much better, but I switched to cross climate Plus now and very happy with them

Depends on your needs, summer only get pilot sport 4, all season get cross climates
Same here. I find them noisy too. I thought it was just me..

Soldato
Oh rather a nice tip there,

Toyo Proxes Sport Performance Road Car Tyres

Are these a reasonable tyre? The price is good with the 20% off code. £124 for the pair for my rears which are getting a bit past where i should be taking them really. That is a lot cheaper than the usual suspects.

Edit: Being lolled at elsewhere for considering these...apparently not good :(

They're really not that bad. I had a set of the older ones on a fwd car with 350bhp, they handled track days and drag racing well. They weren't amazing in the wet but by no means scary.

For the price point they are very good. They're no march for a premium tyre but they're still good.

Caporegime
20% off Demon Tweeks on ebay is making some of their tyres very cheap.

Just bought a set of Toyo TR1's for £166 for my winter hack. I've had a couple of sets of the older T1R's in the past and they were good for the money, the TR1's are supposed to be a lot better though. Anyone had any experience with them?

T1R's are rubbish and are rubbish for the money as well. Sniff of dampness and they turn into ditchfinders.

I had the new TR1's on my 270HP/400NM FWD Volvo and found them to be very competent in wet and dry, but they did wear down quickly on the front. Down to about half tread in 6000 miles.

I would probably buy them again. They have the same problem as the Rainsports have though where they have directional tread patterns but they are all the same, so one side directs water to the outside of the tyre as they should, but the other side directs water to the middle of the tyre... That said I didn't notice any issues with standing water.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
They're really not that bad. I had a set of the older ones on a fwd car with 350bhp, they handled track days and drag racing well. They weren't amazing in the wet but by no means scary.

For the price point they are very good. They're no march for a premium tyre but they're still good.
To be fair I’m not actually very price conscious, I’m just tight if I can avoid spending money I will! I’ll stick with some usual high end UHP although I am sure that these are actually fine :)

Soldato
To be fair I’m not actually very price conscious, I’m just tight if I can avoid spending money I will! I’ll stick with some usual high end UHP although I am sure that these are actually fine :)

I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on my A6, PS4's on my A3, PS3's on my Astra turbo, so yeah I have the decent tyres where it counts! The toyos are for another Astra I have, which is for taking the dog out, tip runs and I use it in winter to keep my nicer cars getting trashed. The Toyos will do perfectly fine for the use that car gets :)

T1R's are rubbish and are rubbish for the money as well. Sniff of dampness and they turn into ditchfinders.

I had the new TR1's on my 270HP/400NM FWD Volvo and found them to be very competent in wet and dry, but they did wear down quickly on the front. Down to about half tread in 6000 miles.

I would probably buy them again. They have the same problem as the Rainsports have though where they have directional tread patterns but they are all the same, so one side directs water to the outside of the tyre as they should, but the other side directs water to the middle of the tyre... That said I didn't notice any issues with standing water.

I covered 40k miles on T1R's and never ended up in a ditch, or even close to it ;) They're not good in the wet but I never had a slide with them, just drive to the conditions. If you want an amazing tyre in wet and dry you spend the money.

Glad you liked the TR1's more though. I'm not too worried about them not lasting forever, the car they're going on will only be doing around 5k a year at best.

Soldato
Well looks like ATS have screwed up yet again but this time in my favour, somehow tracked my Topcashback purchase as almost £1100 instead of £199 (everything correct on the credit card) so paid out £57 in cashback plus Halifax rewards at £14.

Just as well as had a little incident and thinking whether I need to replace one tyre now. Very annoyed as it's only been barely over a month and I'm not in a habit of kerbing my wheels, but was parking in an unfamiliar street and heard a horrendous noise and huge knock when mounted a kerb. Seen a few people open their blinds on the street as they probably thought someone crashed.

Turns out while the kerb was very low (hence while I approached at relative speed ~ 10mph), the drain cover was prolapsed and hastily repaired with a considerable recess. Combination of a dark street and me looking at opposite side of the road for a house number, meant by the time I decided to park, it was already in my blind spot and my brain just registered a low kerb.

Me and the passenger thought the tyre was burst there and then with the resulting noise and bounce, but result is a very healthy mark on the alloy and while it didn't take a chunk out, there is a rip about half a size of a 20p coin on the sidewall that's around 1 to 2mm thick. No wires or such sticking out and there hasn't been any pressure loss in a week but did also knock the tracking out.

Soldato
Need some new tyres for the Zoe soon - the Michelin Energy E-V ones which came fitted have worn terribly (the edges are ****ed and almost down to the wear indicators after less than 12k!), and are pretty much the most expensive in the size, so not really fussed about replacing like for like.

Looking at all seasons, choice is between the Michelin Cross Climate +, Continental AllSeason Contact, or Goodyear Vector 4Season. The continental are ~£6 cheaper/corner, but that isn't exactly much in the grand scheme of things, so whichever is best really?

Soldato
Need some new tyres for the Zoe soon - the Michelin Energy E-V ones which came fitted have worn terribly (the edges are ****ed and almost down to the wear indicators after less than 12k!), and are pretty much the most expensive in the size, so not really fussed about replacing like for like.

Looking at all seasons, choice is between the Michelin Cross Climate +, Continental AllSeason Contact, or Goodyear Vector 4Season. The continental are ~£6 cheaper/corner, but that isn't exactly much in the grand scheme of things, so whichever is best really?

If the edges are worn then your alignment is out or you aren't inflating them enough

Soldato
Apparently it's pretty common in the Zoe unfortunately - they're already inflated to 40PSI (official recommendation is 36) after reading a few posts on the SpeakEV forum about it.

Car was bought from new, never hit a kerb, pothole etc. hard, so they would have had to be out from the factory?

****ed is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but definitely more worn than across the rest of the tyre.

Associate
Can Motors please spec me a tyre:-

BMW 1 Series w/ Front size 225/40/R18 & Rear 235/35/R18.

The Bridgestone Potenza's from factory have done extremely well as there is still a good 2mm of tread left above the depth indicators but at 35,000 miles done I am starting to think the tyre will age out before the tread does.

TIA

Shawrey

Soldato
3 new tyres on the Mrs Qashqai today - 225/45/19.

Had a good experience with the Maxxis Vs01 tyres i put on it last year so going for them again.

She better buy something nice for christmas :rollseyes:

Soldato
Yeah, 2 new ones needed as the fronts had gone. I then noticed yesterday morning that one of the rears was on the limit so they ordered another and I had to go back in the PM to get that fitted. Wierdly the other rear side is ok, it's probably from some dodgy cheap rubber being put on there before we had the car. I'll be getting another new one for the rear after xmas just so they're all the same as it's about half tread at the moment.

Soldato
Yeah, 2 new ones needed as the fronts had gone. I then noticed yesterday morning that one of the rears was on the limit so they ordered another and I had to go back in the PM to get that fitted. Wierdly the other rear side is ok, it's probably from some dodgy cheap rubber being put on there before we had the car. I'll be getting another new one for the rear after xmas just so they're all the same as it's about half tread at the moment.
There are two kinds of people, one would fit 3 new tyres.... :D :D

Associate
Can somebody recommend rear tyres for my Z4 (E89) 35i? Just got the car back from BMW yesterday and today on my way back home the TPMS came up with possible puncture. I inflated the tyres and noticed the LH Rear was way below. Went home and got out to inspect in some good lighting conditions and could hear the air coming out :mad:. I'll wake up tomorrow to a flat tyre :(:(. I currently have Bridgestone Potenza runflats, so assume I can drive them to work (only 3 miles) before finding a local garage. Reading online it seems most places don't repair run flats so I should replace them. Quite annoying since they measured them yesterday at 7mm for the punctured and 6mm for the offside (although they advised changing them as the outer thread was more worn than inner).

To replace like for like they are around £200 a pop :eek:, but in any case I was thinking of getting other tyres anyway, to improve the ride quality as it's quite harsh.

Was thinking of going for either:

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s
or
Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s

Leaning towards the 5s but only Kwikfit seem to have them with Saturday being their first available appointment :/

Any advise is appreciated!

Man of Honour
Be careful. Mismatched tyres can cause issues on the E89 - I put two Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 on the back of my mums 20i M Sport and it really messed the handling up (We're talking DSC activation on low speed cornering) until we'd matched the tyres front to back again...

Associate
Be careful. Mismatched tyres can cause issues on the E89 - I put two Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 on the back of my mums 20i M Sport and it really messed the handling up (We're talking DSC activation on low speed cornering) until we'd matched the tyres front to back again...

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to change all 4 in spring. Due to my hand being forced I'll change the two now and next two probably next month. Since no-one is screaming no to my above post, I'll go with the Assymetric 5s from Kwikfit, they have a Friday mobile fitting available.

Associate
My mrs has a 120d, the coupe shape on a 12 plate. It's currently on 65k miles. Is there anything to watch out for on the car or anything to bear in mind? She let the approved used warranty run out so it's not got any on it at the moment and I seem to recall the cut off is 60k? She mainly uses it to drive to Heathrow and back from Cheltenham (90 odd miles each way) every week or so so it gets a good run and isn't just used around town.

Cut off is 100k at point of taking policy for comprehensive cover, but it becomes significantly more expensive after 60k.

Back
Top Bottom