Best strategy games of the decade?

Soldato
EUIV, i've played that far more than anything else. HOIIV was a streamlined childs game compared to HOIIII, an abomination. I haven't played Stellaris as I'm very meh about space anything tbh, I prefer history and fantasy settings to sci-fi.

IR is one the right track but still has a long way to go.

Soldato
Probably CK2 for sheer hours of fun. I am getting a bit tired of the constant DLC business plan of Paradox games though to be honest. I am getting to the point where I just want to wait until the very end of the life cycle of one of their games so I can buy the actual final version, and on sale too. Will defo be doing that for EU5 and probably CK3.

Also Men of War Assault Squad sneaks in to the decade, has been a favourite of mine since the original Soldiers:HoWW2 days.

Soldato
Probably CK2 for sheer hours of fun. I am getting a bit tired of the constant DLC business plan of Paradox games though to be honest. I am getting to the point where I just want to wait until the very end of the life cycle of one of their games so I can buy the actual final version, and on sale too. Will defo be doing that for EU5 and probably CK3.
Also Men of War Assault Squad sneaks in to the decade, has been a favourite of mine since the original Soldiers:HoWW2 days.

I wish I could be that patient, I might be dead before those games are at end-state!

:D

Soldato
EU4 is a solid contender but a very steep learning curve so I'll give my vote to...
Shadow Tactics : Blade of the Shogun as it brought back some Commandos memories and is well worth playing. Just edges it over XCOM.

Soldato
I'd probably go with Total War Warhammer 2. I really enjoyed CK2 and EU4 but unfortunately they require too much time.

But isnt the point of the game? Ability to replay? Try different things. Start at different places on the planet. Set goals at what is you own "end game".

In the case of CK2, play a family story? I have over 1300 hours on that game, all with the 769 start and never went over year 1000. Also having the most memorable moments as a gamer, many of which were either maniac evil laughing in the middle of the night of the acts the devilspawn Doge of Amalfi executes against the Pope. To tears due to the life and fate of your character who started playing from the age of 3 as a simple Count to his death at the age of 43, prevailing to unify Ireland crown himself King and forming the Kingdom even for 2 days, while having dark luck fallen on him with all the negative events the game has. Ending blind, castrated, one handed, one legged and disease driven during his adulthood, while managed to survive numerous assassination attempts at the younger ages even from his mother.

Soldato
But isnt the point of the game? Ability to replay? Try different things. Start at different places on the planet. Set goals at what is you own "end game".

In the case of CK2, play a family story? I have over 1300 hours on that game, all with the 769 start and never went over year 1000. Also having the most memorable moments as a gamer, many of which were either maniac evil laughing in the middle of the night of the acts the devilspawn Doge of Amalfi executes against the Pope. To tears due to the life and fate of your character who started playing from the age of 3 as a simple Count to his death at the age of 43, prevailing to unify Ireland crown himself King and forming the Kingdom even for 2 days, while having dark luck fallen on him with all the negative events the game has. Ending blind, castrated, one handed, one legged and disease driven during his adulthood, while managed to survive numerous assassination attempts at the younger ages even from his mother.

As I said I enjoyed the time I played. In CK2 I united Ireland and had most of England under control. In EU4 as Portugal I rushed exploration and established several territories in America and then declared independence from Portugal. I'd quite like to play them again but don't have time to get into them.

Soldato
I looked at TW Warhammer, my god their are a lot of dlc.

There are but none of them are really required if you're happy to play as one of the base races and you can get them pretty cheap on sale or key sites. I guess the only one that is sort of needed is the High Elves one that unlocks Sisters of Avalon as they are arguably the best unit in High Elves roster (and one of the best in the game) though they're still one of the strongest factions without them. Don't know much about the latest DLC for Dark Elves and Skaven that just came out.

Associate
Not been massively impressed by most strategy games I've played recently tbh.

I'll cheat and say Dawn of War 2- Chaos and Retribution
Civ 5
Grey Goo - this gets mediocre reviews. It has problems running AFAIK, but the story, soundtrack and gameplay are good IMO.

I've kinda enjoyed stellaris, but I always find that the game bogs down, probably because I wanna play on a massive map and my 4690k struggles. Regardless, I've always felt like I should love it but I don't. I enjoyed SoTS2 far far more and that game was a broken semi finished game. :(

Associate
Do remasters count? If so I’d humbly submit Homeworld for consideration. For traditional style RTS I also really enjoyed Deserts of Kharak, although maybe not in quite in the best of decade category.

Otherwise Total War: Warhammer 2, maybe?

Associate
Seeing as SupCom isn't this decade, not even remotely, I'd have to say... I haven't really been grabbed by any strategy game in the last 10 years.

Perhaps I should check out TW: Warhammer 2, seems super cheap on key sites and think I would enjoy that.

Back
Top Bottom