Athens

Soldato
360 degrees bar was nice. Plaka is good for a drink, probably stray a bit further away for food. The lunch at Verde was good but I didn't go as a regular customer (was a guest at a event). The ferry to Aegina port was quick for a island visit.

I didn't stay long, think I'd opt for a yacht tour round several islands for a longer trip to Greece.

Taxi beat app is a must for hailing taxis, I'd take the train to/from the airport though, the fixed fee is rather high, at least twice what the app will tell you it costs.

Soldato
Probably the delayed alcohol absorption that is typical with it so tends to hit you hard when it does kick in and if you aren't used to it or don't drink enough water will leave you feeling horrific the next day - hence my objection to lots of it hah.

a few years ago while holidaying on the Greek island of Paros, staying at a friends house, she was having work done fo her patio and drive by a local she knew well. Around lunch time I popped out to see if he wanted a cup of tea or cold drink and when he declined I offered him a beer which he happily accepted. So I joined him and chatted while we sipped a beer in the shade. when he was finished he looked round coyly and asked if I’d like to try a more ‘local’ drink. Not wanting to appear rude I of course agreed. He sent me inside for a small jug of water and a couple of glasses. on my return he produced a smallish plastic bottle and proceeded to pour us each a measure. Having drank Pernod at home I recognised the colour and taste and asked him was it ouzo, to which he shrugged and said ‘sort of’......I do not recall the 3rd small glass but apparently it was after it I rolled off the wall we were sitting on. he and my wife had to carry me to bed and I didn’t rise till the next morning and felt utterly rank.

And just for clarity I am not normally a ‘light weight’ when it comes to alcohol but that stuff just smashed me to pieces.

Man of Honour
Sounds like it was made with some cheap and nasty alcohol instead of ethyl alcohol and probably lucky it didn't have more serious effects.

Man of Honour
a few years ago while holidaying on the Greek island of Paros, staying at a friends house, she was having work done fo her patio and drive by a local she knew well. Around lunch time I popped out to see if he wanted a cup of tea or cold drink and when he declined I offered him a beer which he happily accepted. So I joined him and chatted while we sipped a beer in the shade. when he was finished he looked round coyly and asked if I’d like to try a more ‘local’ drink. Not wanting to appear rude I of course agreed. He sent me inside for a small jug of water and a couple of glasses. on my return he produced a smallish plastic bottle and proceeded to pour us each a measure. Having drank Pernod at home I recognised the colour and taste and asked him was it ouzo, to which he shrugged and said ‘sort of’......I do not recall the 3rd small glass but apparently it was after it I rolled off the wall we were sitting on. he and my wife had to carry me to bed and I didn’t rise till the next morning and felt utterly rank.

And just for clarity I am not normally a ‘light weight’ when it comes to alcohol but that stuff just smashed me to pieces.

Might have been Raki, or Arak, they are anise based, and turn milky white when water is added.
One or two are quite pleasant, giving you that liquorice taste in your mouth, but treat them with respect.
If you’re used to knocking back six or eight vodka and tonics, don’t try to do the same with Ouzo, Raki, or Arak.
They will blow your doors off, and you’ll taste liquorice for days, even if you brush your teeth 3 times per day.

Associate
ok, so having a wife from Athens and a home in Greece.

Go to Monastiraki and Plaka for a day (you have to), in the morning and then walk up to the Acropolis in the afternoon, having lunch on the way up. Monastiraki has a great leather market. This is the tourist thing to do, and you do need to watch your wallet, but it is essential, totally essential. you could even spend 2 days there, the museum and ruins at the foot of the Acropolis are astonishing.

Glyfada to the south is the posh seaside / beach residential area and could be worth an evening meal, and Kifissia and Kefalari in the northern suburbs are worth an afternoon shopping and perhaps a spot of lunch. use the metro to get around, it is good.

For a bit of Athenians shopping go to Halandri.

If you have time to take a day trip / coach , personally Epidavros is fantastic, but I would also consider the Corinth Canal and Ancient Corinth, you can get a bus from Kifissos in Athens, or go on an organised tour.

Instead of Epidavros you may want to go to Mykines, the seat of king Agamemnon, with its lion gate, treasury and fantastic museum, and views over Argos, this is where Greek Mythology began. I would be surprised if a tour doesn't do Corinth and Mykines together. Corinth is 1 hour out of Athens, and Mykines a further 40 mins beyond that.

The villa of Herodotus Atticus is also a good day out.

Argos is not great, it is a dump, but Nafplio is amazing, just round the coast from Argos, an old medieval Venetian fortress town and the seat of the first Greek parliament in 1823.

Associate
Might have been Raki, or Arak, they are anise based, and turn milky white when water is added.
One or two are quite pleasant, giving you that liquorice taste in your mouth, but treat them with respect.
If you’re used to knocking back six or eight vodka and tonics, don’t try to do the same with Ouzo, Raki, or Arak.
They will blow your doors off, and you’ll taste liquorice for days, even if you brush your teeth 3 times per day.
Seems that I have seriously mis-spent my drinking years. Ouzo? You get used to it after a few score years!
There's another tipple distinctly Greek- Tsiporo. Smells flowery and girly not masculine, but after a few I found that I wanted no more and then memory failed. Had a goodish bruise on following day.
As my dad used to say "Moderation in all things. Including excess".

Soldato
OP
So how was/is Athens?

Hey, sorry, yeah we had an awesome time. Had private tours of Plaka and the Acropolis, lots of drinking and eating, loved it. Only one day was drizzly, otherwise our day up on the acroplois was ~19.

If you're there on such a trip, do The Ritual (escape game). Man, it's intense.

Associate
Hey, sorry, yeah we had an awesome time. Had private tours of Plaka and the Acropolis, lots of drinking and eating, loved it. Only one day was drizzly, otherwise our day up on the acroplois was ~19.

If you're there on such a trip, do The Ritual (escape game). Man, it's intense.
Poli kala!!

Back
Top Bottom