i5 9600KF good for gaming?

Associate
I have recently upgraded to the i5 9600 KF and a 2070super thinking that it should be decent for a wee while for gaming. However I have noticed while gaming the CPU hits 100% and stays there on COD modern warfare and also need for speed payback. I found that Corsair icue was using a fair bit of cpu and when closed I can get need for speed to avarage CPU usage at around 70% with the odd spike to 100% which is what I was expecting most things to run like. Should I be seeing this for most games or is 100% utilisation normal? I am wondering now if I should sell the i5 and look at getting an i7 or i9?

Soldato
Far too many variables to answer you question.

Full new build?
Clean OS install?
Nothing else running in the background?
Latest drivers installed?
GPU usage in same games?
How much system RAM do you have, and what is in use?
etc.

Associate
OP
Far too many variables to answer you question.

Full new build?
Clean OS install?
Nothing else running in the background?
Latest drivers installed?
GPU usage in same games?
How much system RAM do you have, and what is in use?
etc.

Sorry yeah a bit more detail would help, its basically a new build with clean OS install, corsair icue was running but I closed it down, tested again with not much improvement. All drivers up to date, bios is the newest revision. I will get the exact GPU and ram usage.

System specs are:

i5 9600KF
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus pro WiFi motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200
Gigabyte 2070 super
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD

Does your motherboard support overclocking? I'd be amazed if it was limiting games anyway in it's stock form.

It does support overclocking but I am running the stock cooler from my i5 3570k until I get a cooler for Christmas, so I am holding off overclocking until then. Temps with the stock cooler are 65 Degrees C so I don't think temperature is an issue.

The 9600 is really not very good.

I am beginning to wonder this and debating going i5 or i9 but I was hoping the i5 would be better than it is.

With the 9600 being 6c/6t this isn't surprising at all. Get an overclock going, but if it continues, an i7 is the only real answer.

I will overclock once I get a decent cooler, I thought 6 cores and 6 threads would be a decent upgrade from the 4 on my previous i5 3570k it was just starting to struggle but the 9600KF doesn't seem to have been much of an upgrade!

Soldato
Maybe post some usage pictures or screenshots showing the problems.

The 9600KF isn't that bad at all, especially compared with the 3570K. Something must be not quite right.

Associate
OP
Shift the whole lot on and get a 3600, light years better.

Yeah I nearly bought the 3600 but would it be better than the 9600?

Maybe post some usage pictures or screenshots showing the problems.

The 9600KF isn't that bad at all, especially compared with the 3570K. Something must be not quite right.

I have just realised the XMP wasn't on in the bios, I have switched it on and things are looking better now its not 100% all the time now drops to 70% or 80% but will frequently hit 100% and stay there for 10 seconds or so. GPU usage is showing as 20% and ram is 36% 11.5GB utilisation.

Soldato
Yeah I nearly bought the 3600 but would it be better than the 9600?

I have just realised the XMP wasn't on in the bios, I have switched it on and things are looking better now its not 100% all the time now drops to 70% or 80% but will frequently hit 100% and stay there for 10 seconds or so. GPU usage is showing as 20% and ram is 36% 11.5GB utilisation.

what res are you playing at?

Associate
OP
what res are you playing at?

Only at 1080P on a 60Hz screen, I was hoping to upgrade this next year though.

Er yes by a long way.
The i5 has only 6 thread support the 3600 double that.
Same reason i dont like the 9700 much either, no HT which "can" make a big difference.

I guess I didn't do enough research. I thought most games didn't really use HT and for the games that didn't I would be better off with the 9600

Associate
OP
Did you look at the video I linked above? Shows the 8600K and RTX 2070, doing 144+ FPS in highest detail. Are you getting this?

Yeah I did look at the video I also noticed that the 8600K doesn't hit 100% and stay there like mine does. I can't remember what the FPS was at I will check tonight, what I did notice was when the CPU hits 100% the frame rate didn't seem to drop but game play paused and because choppy.

Back
Top Bottom