LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Soldato
For the games I play, I'm already hitting 160FPS+ at 3840x1600, so I already know I'm gonna be set getting the Acer version. I'm absolutely ready to move on from 75Hz.

Permabanned
If you're coming from an TN 1080p/240Hz 1ms if you want to jump into the 4K HDR LG OLED55C9PUA TV (2160p/120Hz) you will need a Nvidia TU102 GPU to drive it!
drive what exactly ? i'm still waiting for retina refresh 1000hz since old game engines like source reach 1000fps today that and if you are referring to "new AAA games" their not so different from a 15 year old game if you increase the objects and polygons it will have same impact on your gpu

Associate
drive what exactly ? i'm still waiting for retina refresh 1000hz since old game engines like source reach 1000fps today that and if you are referring to "new AAA games" their not so different from a 15 year old game if you increase the objects and polygons it will have same impact on your gpu

Run any PC HDR game @4K Ultra mode settings see see what happens if you don't have a TU102 GPUs . . . See those 100+ fps?.... Run RDR2 4K Ultra mode or Break Point 4K Ultra mode. ... Right now 4K kills all video cards.. .

Sure if your playing old classic PC games or 2D games I would agree with you 100%....bigger GPUs are not needed at higher resolutions .. But anything since HDR gaming has started not a chance with Ultra mode settings. Or maybe your one of those people that like playing your games on the lowest possible graphics settings just to run higher resolutions?

Up coming playing @4K on consoles is running at locked lowest possible graphics settings then upscaled to 4K the same way your 1080p BlueRay upscale to your 4K TV.

Most new games are limited to 144Hz and HDR is all limited to bandwidth from DP 1.4a or HDMI 2.0b

Nvidia 2000 series do offer USB-C and a Firmware update for HDMI 2.1 support and more bandwidth with untested VRR.

Associate
For the games I play, I'm already hitting 160FPS+ at 3840x1600, so I already know I'm gonna be set getting the Acer version. I'm absolutely ready to move on from 75Hz.

Out of interest what games do you play? I would expect around 50-70 fps with a 2080ti at 3840x1600 on ultra and 40-60 fps at 4k

On the games I play at 2560x1440p at the moment i get around 75-100 fps

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest what games do you play? I would expect around 50-70 fps with a 2080ti at 3840x1600 on ultra and 40-60 fps at 4k

On the games I play at 2560x1440p at the moment i get around 75-100 fps
Competitive games on low settings are what I play, with a Titan X Pascal. So I'm hitting the high FPS really easily. I'm not interested in upgrading GPU until something good comes out. The 2080Ti is a clown card that isn't even close to being worth its price.

Associate
What "Greebo" is trying to sell you people is the LG OLED55C9PUA it's the only LG OLED TV that's currently cheaper than the LG 38GL950G-B monitor ..

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lg-gsync-compatible-hdmi-big-screen-gaming/

Enjoy running your 16:9 LG OLED55C9PUA TV in 21:9 mode with black bars that you can't magically see and can't see missing screen real estate right before your eyes apparently.

Don't forget to mention the horrible reflection that you get from the TV, enjoy watching yourself in a mirror..

Associate
Competitive games on low settings are what I play, with a Titan X Pascal. So I'm hitting the high FPS really easily. I'm not interested in upgrading GPU until something good comes out. The 2080Ti is a clown card that isn't even close to being worth its price.

I agree with you its definitely overpriced. However its enabled me to play my games at high resolutions and high FPS so do I have any regrets considering I've had it almost 2 years ? Nope not one.

Caporegime
This should be around £1200 imo, it's obvious that LG have seen the pricing of the Asus/Acer super UW screens and trying it on a bit.

Guessing that Gsync module ain't cheap though, and pretty much pointless at this point!!!

Caporegime
What "Greebo" is trying to sell you people is the LG OLED55C9PUA it's the only LG OLED TV that's currently cheaper than the LG 38GL950G-B monitor ..

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/lg-gsync-compatible-hdmi-big-screen-gaming/

Enjoy running your 16:9 LG OLED55C9PUA TV in 21:9 mode with black bars that you can't magically see and can't see missing screen real estate right before your eyes apparently.

Both 16:9 TV LG OLED55C9PUA and Ultra Wide LG 38GL950G-B monitor are 4:4:4 120Hz

The LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B running negative 3840x1600 144Hz 4:2:2 1ms (OC 175Hz)

If you're coming from an TN 1080p/240Hz 1ms if you want to jump into the 4K HDR LG OLED55C9PUA TV (2160p/120Hz) you will need a Nvidia TU102 GPU to drive it!

Nvidia TU102 GPUs
RTX Titan
RTX 2080TI
RTX 2080Ti Super

TN 1080p/240Hz 1ms to the LG 38GL950G-B monitor (3840x1600/144Hz+) you will need 2080 Super to drive it properly.

2070 Super is considered a 1440p card at best....I recommend I wouldn't try driving either

LG 38GL950G-B
TN @144Hz 1ms VS Nano IPS @144Hz 1ms is virtually the same but moving from 1080p to 1600p is GPU intense. Going from 240Hz to 175Hz OC .....the 240Hz will win with less blur. Go check out Blur UFO test.

I wish there was a full review between the LG OLED55C9PUA UHD TV and the LG 38GL950G-B Ultra Wide monitor to end this battle once and for all.

Not going to argue anymore as clearly we have difference of opinions. You think the overpriced low quality monitors on offer are fantastic. Thats your preogetive.

I will say that on black friday you could have even bought the flagship E9 55" OLED for less money than this LG38GL950G-B.

My point about not seeing the black bars on OLED is that they are black. True black. Black bars on IPS monitors look awful as they are grey and show up all the flaws of the backlight bleed and the awful uniformity of the pC monitors.

And yes TVs will have glare. I have never actually advocated people should swap to OLED TVs, I am just saying we should have better PC monitorsd by now when you compare them to cheap OLED TVs which by the manufacturers own admissions have a massive profit margin as people will pay a premium for them.

You should by now be able to buy a 40" 4k 120Hz OLED 1000 HDR screen with an anti glare coating and a Gysnc module for £1000. And it would make a profit for the manufacturers.

Reason you can't is they are scared of people using them as monitors for work and the desktop image burning in and secondly, once they did that, all these crap, lesser resolution, inferior IPS and VA screens wouldnt sell anymore.

Associate
Not going to argue anymore as clearly we have difference of opinions. You think the overpriced low quality monitors on offer are fantastic. Thats your preogetive.

I will say that on black friday you could have even bought the flagship E9 55" OLED for less money than this LG38GL950G-B.

My point about not seeing the black bars on OLED is that they are black. True black. Black bars on IPS monitors look awful as they are grey and show up all the flaws of the backlight bleed and the awful uniformity of the pC monitors.

And yes TVs will have glare. I have never actually advocated people should swap to OLED TVs, I am just saying we should have better PC monitorsd by now when you compare them to cheap OLED TVs which by the manufacturers own admissions have a massive profit margin as people will pay a premium for them.

You should by now be able to buy a 40" 4k 120Hz OLED 1000 HDR screen with an anti glare coating and a Gysnc module for £1000. And it would make a profit for the manufacturers.

Reason you can't is they are scared of people using them as monitors for work and the desktop image burning in and secondly, once they did that, all these crap, lesser resolution, inferior IPS and VA screens wouldnt sell anymore.

Well you said it your self!!

"You should by now be able to buy a 40" 4k 120Hz OLED 1000 HDR screen with an anti glare coating and a Gysnc module for £1000. And it would make a profit for the manufacturers"

What's 100% wrong with that statement is you just cutout all the people that play games for years upto 240Hz level and now you're saying all they need is 120Hz. I was shocked to with how many people are in the 144Hz+ level playing games on the lowest settings just for the crazy frame rates... Hay all the power too them!. . Even a few of them in this thread enjoying the 160fps+ experience. That like me telling you go buy older Hz capped 60Hz TV.....TV's and TV's displays by no means are perfect... Take LG TV for example ....as I own one.. . One of the things I hate the most about LG TV's is it's OS.....WebOS is garbage! ...... absolutely nothing to brag about that's for sure. I 100% agree with you I wish there was one display to rule them all but that's not the case ...if they made 21:9 240Hz 12-bit HDR 4000 Ultra BlueRay levels for cheap....I to would jump on board in a second.

The two big Technology's getting pushed in 2020 is HDMI 2.1 and Display Port 2.0 Crazy bandwidth .. .Can you say 8K 12-bit HDR @240Hz now can be a really.

Permabanned
Even the fastest 3rd gen tn's 240hz can only output around 90% of the framerates currently, maybe oled monitors will change that.

Associate
Even the fastest 3rd gen tn's 240hz can only output around 90% of the framerates currently, maybe oled monitors will change that.

I would be happy if OLED even reached 144Hz PC Gaming standard . . OLED going to 240Hz would be very difficult, VA such as the ROG SWIFT PG35VQ to 200Hz was very difficult. Nano IPS reaching 175Hz is very impressive..

Soldato
I had a pre-order in on this somewhere else and have now cancelled. At these prices it's beyond a joke. I'll be waiting to see what else comes out this year and stick with my 4k monitor for now.

Associate
LG monitors have the best picture quality and colours. LGs are sophisticated

I wouldn't say the best monitors, would say best display panels in general would be more accurate.

Best Gaming monitor is the ROG SWIFT PG35VQ at the moment, along with Acer Predator 35X and AOC Agon AG353UCG on the same page made by AUO. Then it would be the LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B monitor.. In 4th place for this year.

As for TV's....I would say the Sony XBR A9G Series is the best TV for 2019! The Sony A9G are using a LG OLED displays panel and Android OS and overall combination of the best. LG TV's use crappie WebOS OS which is utter garbage.

My Google Pixel 4 XL which I'm typing this is using a LG OLED display panel.

So I would say LG display panels are the best for some things.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wouldn't say the best monitors, would say best display panels in general would be more accurate.

Best Gaming monitor is the ROG SWIFT PG35VQ at the moment, along with Acer Predator 35X and AOC Agon AG353UCG on the same page. Then it would be the LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B monitor.. In 4th place for this year.

As for TV's....I would say the Sony XBR A9G Series is the best TV for 2019! The Sony A9G are using a LG OLED displays panel and Android OS and overall combination of the best. LG TV's use crappie WebOS OS which is utter garbage.

My Google Pixel 4 XL which I'm typing this is using a LG OLED display panel.

So I would say LG display panels are the best.
You know the PG35VQ and X35 use AU Optronics panels right? :)

Associate
Yes, LG monitors have the best display of colours.

LG OLED has the best colors because of True Black and each pixel self controlled. Where VA/QLED and TN IPS are all using old backlit technology which gives a bit of a glow, IPS has the worst glowing blacks....IPS colours are not as good as VA panels ....

Go look at the ROG SWIFT PG35VQ colour quality VS UltraGear 38GL950G-B. . . Are the best between the two displays technology's in this 21:9 format. Not saying LG Nano IPS is bad, definitely Nano IPS the best that IPS technology gets at the moment...MicroLED will replace VA IPS TN very soon and a direct competition to OLED tech.

Man of Honour
MicroLED is a backlighting technology and will still be paired with traditional LCD panel technologies like IPS and VA so the fundamental panel performance characteristics will remain similar. It’s a long long way off though, we have barely had any FALD backlights so far and are just starting to see the first MiniLED backlights now

Associate
MicroLED is a backlighting technology and will still be paired with traditional LCD panel technologies like IPS and VA so the fundamental panel performance characteristics will remain similar. It’s a long long way off though, we have barely had any FALD backlights so far and are just starting to see the first MiniLED backlights now

Not really
MicroLED is different. ..
"Using extremely small LEDs, three MicroLEDs are put together to create each pixel, with each subpixel emitting a different color from the usual red, blue, and green selection. As each LED emits light, there is no need for a backlight as used in TFT screens."

No FALD required for MicroLED or OLED technology is my understanding?

Having more Zones on FALD displays gives a better brightness but on a monitor your mouse cursor area glows bad. You would need 4096 Zones to fix that glow.... Right now PC Gaming monitors are 512 Zones.

Back
Top Bottom