Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
They are quite a lot longer than a wrx though aren't they? i guess that may make them a land canal boat rather than a yacht? Didn't think about how wide they were, also I've generally only looked at the estates!

About 25cm longer, I think, compared to a second-gen Impreza. I can actually sit comfortably in the back of a Legacy, so it's evidently put to good use.

Associate
About 25cm longer, I think, compared to a second-gen Impreza. I can actually sit comfortably in the back of a Legacy, so it's evidently put to good use.

I do recall the back seats in the blob eye being quite comical tbh! Do they feel like driving a barge? I like the idea of a big car but then I also like the feel of driving small, nimble cars!

Soldato
I do recall the back seats in the blob eye being quite comical tbh! Do they feel like driving a barge? I like the idea of a big car but then I also like the feel of driving small, nimble cars!

It's a slender and comparatively light car so it doesn't feel that way, no (at least, that is, in Bilstein-equipped Spec B form); you're aware of its extra length, though, compared to an Impreza or Forester. It doesn't have quite the same mechanical feel as either of those two, either, but that has its advantages – it just depends what you're looking for.

If you want something more refined and spacious (although the Forester is good in the back as well), it's a sound choice. An Impreza will feel more nimble, however, and both that and the Forester have a shorter footprint. And, of course, the latter can simply drive over most things – so there's an extra carefree-feeling aspect to its nature.

Soldato
Is the H6 in the legacy belt or chain driven? After the cost of changing the cambelt on my 1.2Clio years ago, I kinda swore never to own a belt driven car again, which kinda eliminates most Subarus haha.

Soldato
Is the H6 in the legacy belt or chain driven? After the cost of changing the cambelt on my 1.2Clio years ago, I kinda swore never to own a belt driven car again, which kinda eliminates most Subarus haha.

Chain.

You shouldn't really let timing belts put you off, though, particularly in the case of the Subaru H4s. They're quiet, reliable and the intervals are long. Every 50k or five years for most boxers, IIRC. Very straightforward to change, too. Just renew the idlers at the same time to avoid potential grief later.

Associate
Does anybody own a JDM hatch STI? It's one of the many i'm considering when car is sold, and have a bit of a soft spot for the hatch but want to avoid the 2.5 engine!

Associate
Chain.

You shouldn't really let timing belts put you off, though, particularly in the case of the Subaru H4s. They're quiet, reliable and the intervals are long. Every 50k or five years for most boxers, IIRC. Very straightforward to change, too. Just renew the idlers at the same time to avoid potential grief later.

Took a deposit on my car today, and there's a spec b legacy manual for sale near me with a few mods; i'm tempted to go have a look! Unsure if he's asking top end of what it's worth though (4.5k @ 115k miles). Looks fairly tidy!

Soldato
I think the factory Sigma is decent enough (CAT1) but I've read a lot of stories of it failing and leaving cars immobilised. The thing with aftermarket alarms though is that from my experience, installers don't tend to physically integrate them very well, thus they're easy to locate and remove. I installed a couple of Toad AI606s into my old Rovers and completely stripped the dash and trim out to install.

I really like the Toad and have another one here to put into my Scoob at some point.

I'd probably go with a disklock over getting someone to badly install an aftermarket alarm.

Soldato
Yesterday I instructed TorqueGT to start looking for a Spec C Type RA for me.

There are 4 that I know of already in the UK for sale but each one raised questions - not correct wheels and suspesnion (important "to me" on an RA) one had a 50K haircut. One really nice but mileage too high for what I want.

I have an image of how I want it to go - arranging the import with TorqueGT, taking it to EngineTuner once it's arrived for a few small changes. Then pick up once it's all ready.

Friend has offered to do a "mates rates" refresh underneath (powder coat, new fittings, new bushes) as long as I don't mind how long it takes him. He's very particular with cars and has built some stunning Clios.

Quite prepared for it to take months to even get the car here but prepared to wait. I didn't wait it out last time and kinda regret it.

Back
Top Bottom