• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Man of Honour
Thanks, @Vince. I was on Workstation Pro, with a new VM, so it seems to just be a licence issue for that level. I'll look into it tomorrow.

No worries, it's been a while since I've used workstation to be fair, I only really use it if something has gone wrong. I wouldn't have thought they would hold you back on core count if resources are there it is quite bizarre.

Soldato
10 runs of Cinebench R20 back to back then straight into https://gooseberry.blender.org/gooseberry-production-benchmark-file/ - if it passes that it's stable - although it'll prob highlight cooling issues before stability :)

Thanks mate, could not get that file I the link to run, not sure how to run it.

I put prime95 and it hit 78C which is hot but I was expecting much higher for some reason with 24 cores.

what is the safe max temperature for 3960 threadripper. I have seen someone mention AMD insists on no higher than 68C. if true I am not sure if my
AIO 360 can cool it.

I am correct that only new threadripper cpu work on the new motherboards. 2nd gen cpu don't work.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Thanks mate, could not get that file I the link to run, not sure how to run it.

I put prime95 and it hit 78C which is hot but I was expecting much higher for some reason with 24 cores.

what is the safe max temperature for 3960 threadripper. I have seen someone mention AMD insists on no higher than 68C. if true I am not sure if my
AIO 360 can cool it.

I am correct that only new threadripper cpu work on the new motherboards. 2nd gen cpu don't work.

You need Blender installed. Then you open the file, click render from the top or right.

Max temp for TR3 is 95c. The old 68c was the temp PBO tries to maintain on old gen thread ripper - it's no longer relevant.

Soldato
Nice benchmark. I got a max of 4.5GHz with an overall average (by eye) of 3.93GHz all-core. Rendered in 7 mins 13 seconds (while doing other stuff, I was using it to test temps primarily), which is mighty impressive considering the Intel Xeon 56 core takes more than double that time. It hit a max of 83oC peak momentarily, but averaged 78oC (on air). @AMDPower I'll be interested to see how your Dark Rock Pro compares to my Noctua - I was undecided between them.

You can grab a portable version of Blender here, just unpack it and run the blender.exe and then open the benchmark file and hit F12 to render.

7hySmUF.png
PmmQKJQ.png

Soldato
thanks gents for the help. Ran blender and everything seems ok, no crashes.

The whole setup in on a antistatic bag on the motherboard box lol so airflow is not great

in regards to the dark pro, well it looks great but and performance is quite good for air cooling and the fans are very quite
but the only issue I have is the installation is horrible. The could have put more thought into that part but it does look lovely.

my memory seems to be running slower, mins is cas 14 3200 Gskil trident.

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks like you're running them at the basic DDR4 spec (2133MHz). Boot to UEFI/Bios and set them to XMP/DOCP and see how you go. You may end up needing to set the clocks and timings manually but you should be OK.

Soldato
It looks like you're running them at the basic DDR4 spec (2133MHz). Boot to UEFI/Bios and set them to XMP/DOCP and see how you go. You may end up needing to set the clocks and timings manually but you should be OK.

Thanks, will do. I need to get the system built up properly first in a case with airflow.
Does that have a TR4-specific block. Because if it's the usual round thing then it's not going to cool your CPU very well.

unfortunately its those round ones. I can't for the life of me find a AIO that has a larger threadripper specific block. I am going full watercooling so
will get a chance for full block then just waiting to see if 2080ti super is going to be released soon.

Take it off the antistatic bag immediately! You risk an electrical short.
Modern anti-static bags conduct zero electricity on the outside, test it with a DVM/MM if you want to see for yourself. :)

Thats what I thought, generally anti static bags are fine on the outside too. Its best to play it safe and not take a chance anyway. I really need to buy a test bench, been meaning to do this for 10 years but never had the need to.

Soldato
unfortunately its those round ones. I can't for the life of me find a AIO that has a larger threadripper specific block.

LiqTech II TR4 but beware that the first series had major problems with growth, corrosion and such. They say they've fixed it now for II but it's too early to be sure. Better to pay the extra and go custom loop imo, as they don't rate that much better than the Dark Rock or Noctua air coolers overall.

Associate
After some tinkering I'm more satisfied with my system.

Firstly I replaced the 3 fans on my Deepcool Castle 360EX AIO with Noctua NF-F12s. Yes these 3000rpm fans can get very noisy but with a decent fan curve, I can live with it, and it's quieter than the previous fans at <2000 rpm. The result is this AIO can now idle at 25-38 Degrees and reaches max of 76 Degrees on a full AVX load at stock. I think this AIO is better than the standard Asetek coolers and has a larger block than others I have seen.

The only shame is that this I can't get my Ram stable at above 3200. I think i'll have to live it though, don't think it's smart to buy 64gb of 3600 certified ram.

Man of Honour
I now have my Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz kit (256GB of it). What should I be aiming for memory speed/timings wise?

Official supported config:

Memory Configuration/Maximum Official Speed Supported

4x8GB Single Rank (32GB)

DDR4-3200

8x8GB Single Rank (64GB)

DDR4-2933

4x16GB Dual Rank (64GB)

DDR4-3200

8x16GB Dual Rank (128GB)

DDR4-2667

4x32GB Dual Rank (128GB)

DDR4-3200

8x32GB Dual Rank (256GB)

DDR4-2667

I recon you might be able to get 2933, much more is probably a bit of a pipe dream.

Associate
for both my TRs the performance is a balance of tighter timing and frequency, can't imagine TR3 changes that, my 3600 ram has never ran at that speed as tighter timings reduce latency and improved its computational prowess, so really its targeting the tightest timings at the highest clock rate you can manage favoring the timings over clock speed, for example I can run CL16 3600 but the best compromise for performance for me at least is CL14 3400, there is negligible bandwidth loss.

With that amount of RAM though I would imagine your clock speeds will be well down, so perhaps tight timings are your only option for optimization.

Man of Honour
XMP would be my first port of call Chris. After that, use the Ryzen dram calculator and work your up to 3600.

256gb 8x32 of dual rank will never get there from the official supported 2667 speed I don't think. Id be very surprised if you can get that kit to run xmp. 3600 I think is wishful thinking.

Man of Honour
Well it seems to have booted fine at 3000 MHz but timings are quite loose at 22-21-21-50. I've got some work to do in VMware Workstation so I'll tinker at a later time/date.

Back
Top Bottom