• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Winter, so between now and then would mean treading very carefully, no GPU upgrade would be worthwhile.

Even considering what the new AMD / NV cards will have there is no guarantee these will be worthwhile due to console optimisation.

What was reason you sold Xbox X? How much was it?

Soldato
What was reason you sold Xbox X? How much was it?

Got 330 and bought it for 399.

Just didn't use it and my internet was too slow at the time but now I have superfast up to 300mbit broadband. And if the power is there and 60fps at 4K I would be more tempted to use a new console, also if KB/Mouse.

I would like games like cities skylines, but not sure if the Series X would handle Cities with many assets or even support mods, that's one of the downsides of consoles vs PC.

Man of Honour
Why not, there are already ONE games with K&M support.

Not for first party titles as far as I am aware, which would mean that the console manufacturer would not push others to follow suit which limits the widespread acceptance of the input method.

For example, Nintendo use motion controls as a primary control method (Splatoon 2), and therefore encourage other developers to add it to their games too (e.g. Doom, Overwatch).

Soldato
Not for first party titles as far as I am aware, which would mean that the console manufacturer would not push others to follow suit which limits the widespread acceptance of the input method.

For example, Nintendo use motion controls as a primary control method (Splatoon 2), and therefore encourage other developers to add it to their games too (e.g. Doom, Overwatch).

Gears 5 does, there's even a Gears 5 edition Razer turret: https://www.razer.com/gb-en/licensed-and-team-peripherals/gears-of-war-razer-turret-for-xbox. I Haven't looked at any others really. Microsoft left it open for Devs to decide whether to add support or not, but the system supports it so I dont see why the Series X wouldnt :)

Associate

Every game support it's other then halo 5, due to being older game?

Edit: Forza, gears, sea of thieves.

Associate
Got 330 and bought it for 399.

Just didn't use it and my internet was too slow at the time but now I have superfast up to 300mbit broadband. And if the power is there and 60fps at 4K I would be more tempted to use a new console, also if KB/Mouse.

I would like games like cities skylines, but not sure if the Series X would handle Cities with many assets or even support mods, that's one of the downsides of consoles vs PC.

Sorry, pc will always suit you better. More options for them games. Console will always limit mod support due to fixed hardware

Soldato
Awaiting specs and price versus PC upgrade. If I can get a game pass subscription and a 4k 60fps console for £400ish then it might be the final nail in the coffin for me as it will make no sense to keep upgrading the pc phen it could be sold off and pay for the console

Associate
Well it certainly looks powerful, wasn't expecting that. I love the look, no idea where I'm going to put it though :D

Already making thoughts about it.

I have the IKEA BYAS TV unit and my Stereo speakers are sat either side of the TV. Amp and 1X is underneath so will probably have to move both speakers to brackets behind the sofa and the amp in the corner of the room in a more traditional setup and retire the 1X to upstairs use.

I would then have either the Series X or PS5 stood up next to the TV or directly under it where the amp/X1 sat. Then for audio I would be waiting for something with Dolby Atmos to come along from Sonos else, a Beam may have to suffice for better audio (and to keep Mrs Shawrey happy :rolleyes:)

Shawrey

Caporegime
OP
What is going on with the graphics that makes this look better than anything now? Are they using greater than 4096x4096 textures? Or is it more than that? (Screenshot doesn't really do it justice as compression/blur shows up.)

22qKwsA.jpg

Soldato
@ic1male A lot of it is better (ray traced) lighting + high LODs forced to be always on. Texture quality is also very high, and thanks to Quixel it looks close to real (but not necessarily better than other games out there, wrt Quixel - eg Battlefront II is also insane on this and you can play right now). When you tweak ambient occlusion/contact hardening shadows the whole scene gets a lot more depth, a lot more contrast, makes it more 3D like, sort of how an OLED has that depth from contrast compared to LCDs. It's not an immediately obvious element but if you ever do before/after you realise how the whole scene changes. It's both subtle and dramatic at the same time but easy to ignore in the moment when playing, so it's not quite as impactful as, say, RT reflections which are a lot more in your face.

Associate
Awaiting specs and price versus PC upgrade. If I can get a game pass subscription and a 4k 60fps console for £400ish then it might be the final nail in the coffin for me as it will make no sense to keep upgrading the pc phen it could be sold off and pay for the console

i'll nip this in the bud right now. Their no no way in hell you're getting a console that'll do 4k60 for around £400. This isn't like current gen consoles, before they came out, we were already disappointed in the jaguar cores. We already know a year ahead that these are gonna equal a high end pc. Saying that, even high end pc's struggle with 4k60. So i wouldn't be too surprised if its only some games that'll run 4k60. The only price these can realistically(lets say they only release one console) sell these for will be £599(nobody will want to break the 600 mark).

What is going on with the graphics that makes this look better than anything now? Are they using greater than 4096x4096 textures? Or is it more than that? (Screenshot doesn't really do it justice as compression/blur shows up.)

To be fair, in-game engine videos always look better than the final product

Soldato
Pretty sure MS can afford to loose a few quid on the console and make it back on software tbh.

I see no reason why this won’t achieve 4k60 it’s very powerful unified system. Tbh I’m still impressed with what’s achieved on X and Pro....

Soldato
i'll nip this in the bud right now. Their no no way in hell you're getting a console that'll do 4k60 for around £400. This isn't like current gen consoles, before they came out, we were already disappointed in the jaguar cores. We already know a year ahead that these are gonna equal a high end pc. Saying that, even high end pc's struggle with 4k60. So i wouldn't be too surprised if its only some games that'll run 4k60. The only price these can realistically(lets say they only release one console) sell these for will be £599(nobody will want to break the 600 mark).

To be fair, in-game engine videos always look better than the final product

Part of me believes you but most of me thinks there is no way they are going to release the next gen without it being able to run at 4k 60fps otherwise it's just going to absolutely pointless

I forgot to mention, for me to give up my pc it will have to have mouse and keyboard support, I can't play fps on a pad

Associate
Pretty sure MS can afford to loose a few quid on the console and make it back on software tbh.

I see no reason why this won’t achieve 4k60 it’s very powerful unified system. Tbh I’m still impressed with what’s achieved on X and Pro....

+1

The USP for next gen would be 4k60fps across the entire game library for both Sony and MS so it is definitely the target.

Why wouldn't it be when the 1X can achieve 4k30fps on AAA titles like AC:Odyssey and 4k60fps in MW?

Admittedly, there will likely be compromises to maintain that frame rate in certain games but that is probably a given to reach the 60fps mark.

Shawrey

Associate
Pretty sure Phil Spencer said they have had Forza 7 running at 8K60 on Scarlet. Whether true or not who knows.

Racing sims are traditionally not the most taxing of things depending on certain factors so I wouldn't actually put this past being a reality but who has the money for an 8K screen? Those that do, would likely have the money to have the best of breed that money can buy PC anyway.

Shawrey

Man of Honour
Gears 5 does, there's even a Gears 5 edition Razer turret: https://www.razer.com/gb-en/licensed-and-team-peripherals/gears-of-war-razer-turret-for-xbox. I Haven't looked at any others really. Microsoft left it open for Devs to decide whether to add support or not, but the system supports it so I dont see why the Series X wouldnt :)

Then I am well out of the loop, thanks for the correction.

I'm glad I don't play gears' vs mode if they let kbm players play against pad players.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom