What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Freaks (2019)

An interesting premise and some rather good acting, especially from the young girl. However, the dialogue seemed rather stilted at times and the story wasn't as refined as it could have been, occasionally lacking focus and momentum

6/10

Soldato
The King

Feel like it took itself far too seriously and frankly I get bored by most Medieval films and this wasn't different.

Biggest thing was Timothy Chalamet's lack of screen presence for me, from his poor character development in the early stages to his physically stature. Battle was great but I just wasn't buying him killing all those men.

He is only 23 and it is a huge role to bear, he sure gave it a good go. Edgerton and even Pattinson had a lot more weight behind them every time they appeared on screen.

All in all for my personal taste it's probably a 6/10 but that's my Medievla bias at play here so I'd day it's a solid 7/10 effort.

Soldato
Watchmen - Ultimate Cut: 3.5 hours long with Tales From The Black Freighter animated mini-film interspersed throughout the film. - no score, just brilliant/10

I know both Snyder and this movie are immediately divisive but I still stand by the opinion that this is one of the better comic adaptions on screen. It's faithful in most part to the comic series apart from a huge change at the end that is better in the movie.

The visuals are great, still looking mostly good today, a few little bits here and there I picked up on where the CGI hasn't aged well. The soundtrack is also something special, ditching typical score in the most part for classic songs from 60's/70's/80's.

If you've not watched it, i'd say give it a go, keep an open mind, ditch the immediate Snyder-hate, this and 300 were showing signs of a pretty good director before he went mainstream DC. We won't talk about Sucker Punch.

Soldato
Watchmen - Ultimate Cut: 3.5 hours long with Tales From The Black Freighter animated mini-film interspersed throughout the film. - no score, just brilliant/10

I know both Snyder and this movie are immediately divisive but I still stand by the opinion that this is one of the better comic adaptions on screen. It's faithful in most part to the comic series apart from a huge change at the end that is better in the movie.

The visuals are great, still looking mostly good today, a few little bits here and there I picked up on where the CGI hasn't aged well. The soundtrack is also something special, ditching typical score in the most part for classic songs from 60's/70's/80's.

If you've not watched it, i'd say give it a go, keep an open mind, ditch the immediate Snyder-hate, this and 300 were showing signs of a pretty good director before he went mainstream DC. We won't talk about Sucker Punch.

For me this is a very underrated film. I wonder how much of it is down to Moore's negativity and his hard core fan base just agreeing with him.

I bought the 4k version for £4.99 on my Apple TV 4k. Will be watching it over Xmas.

Soldato
Yeah, l liked Watchmen despite it being a slow burn. Never read the comics either so no idea if it's faithful or not :D

Don't think I've seen the Ultimate Cut so add it to the ever growing pile of things to watch.

Soldato
Yeah, l liked Watchmen despite it being a slow burn. Never read the comics either so no idea if it's faithful or not :D

Don't think I've seen the Ultimate Cut so add it to the ever growing pile of things to watch.

It's very faithful to the comic with pretty much only the one change at the end. Like Synder's "300", the comic is pretty much used as a storyboard and the scenes are copied verbatim. Indeed, I think the Director's Cut suffers from it, because putting the "comic within a comic" into the film breaks up and slows down the narrative and pace. The cut where it was left as a separate extra on the DVD leaves the main story to proceed without interruptions.

I also think it's a very underrated movie, that's a 99 percent faithful adaptation to the characters, story, and look of the original source material. It's probably so good because it doesn't mess about with everything the way that Hollywood directors always want to, and sticks to the things that made the original comic so good.

Soldato
It's very faithful to the comic with pretty much only the one change at the end. Like Synder's "300", the comic is pretty much used as a storyboard and the scenes are copied verbatim. Indeed, I think the Director's Cut suffers from it, because putting the "comic within a comic" into the film breaks up and slows down the narrative and pace. The cut where it was left as a separate extra on the DVD leaves the main story to proceed without interruptions.

I also think it's a very underrated movie, that's a 99 percent faithful adaptation to the characters, story, and look of the original source material. It's probably so good because it doesn't mess about with everything the way that Hollywood directors always want to, and sticks to the things that made the original comic so good.

Definitely agree that the animated scenes break the momentum but having watched the normal version about 5 times now, was just a nice change. Plus it's a decent use of parallel story telling that isn't really apparent until the Black Freighter tale finishes.

Permabanned
Irishman. Enjoyed the story, cinemography, dialogue, and acting. Felt like Scorcese saying good bye to these actors which added to the sadness of the story. The digital deageing didn't annoy me but I can understand how it may not sit well with others. 8/10

Soldato
Rogue one 7.5/10
Second time I have watched it and the only Disney star wars I have bothered watching a second time. So far and away the best of the bunch. Amazes me they didn't go with Gareth Edwards for the last jedi as he actually seems to understand star wars and it's universe.

Associate
Irishman. Enjoyed the story, cinemography, dialogue, and acting. Felt like Scorcese saying good bye to these actors which added to the sadness of the story. The digital deageing didn't annoy me but I can understand how it may not sit well with others. 8/10
I just watched this also, very decent and kept me glued for the full 3 and 1/2 hours or whatever it was on for.

Back
Top Bottom