• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Racing sims are traditionally not the most taxing of things depending on certain factors so I wouldn't actually put this past being a reality but who has the money for an 8K screen? Those that do, would likely have the money to have the best of breed that money can buy PC anyway.

Shawrey

You can get 8k Samsung’s for near £2k now. By this time next year I imagine they will be widely available and well under 2k. LG is set to release the new 8k OLEDS early next year too. Not everyone who buys a super high end tv is interested in PC gaming.

Soldato
i'll nip this in the bud right now. Their no no way in hell you're getting a console that'll do 4k60 for around £400. This isn't like current gen consoles, before they came out, we were already disappointed in the jaguar cores. We already know a year ahead that these are gonna equal a high end pc. Saying that, even high end pc's struggle with 4k60. So i wouldn't be too surprised if its only some games that'll run 4k60. The only price these can realistically(lets say they only release one console) sell these for will be £599(nobody will want to break the 600 mark).

It's either 499 or 599, but I'd wager 499 has better chances. Xbox needs to push more boxes so if they have to take a hit in the short term then they'll do so. Either way, for a console packing a 2080 Super equivalent it's a steal no matter what. And when you add in VRS as well, 4K60 is going to be trivial to achieve.

You can get 8k Samsung’s for near £2k now. By this time next year I imagine they will be widely available and well under 2k. LG is set to release the new 8k OLEDS early next year too. Not everyone who buys a super high end tv is interested in PC gaming.

8K is gonna get pushed a lot, if for no other reason than the fact that marketing 8K is stupidly easy. You can even see it in the sales numbers today, with even the fake 8K TVs like Samsung's doing very well.

Caporegime
OP
@ic1male A lot of it is better (ray traced) lighting + high LODs forced to be always on. Texture quality is also very high, and thanks to Quixel it looks close to real (but not necessarily better than other games out there, wrt Quixel - eg Battlefront II is also insane on this and you can play right now)...

I suppose another thing I noticed is the total lack of any aliasing. That also adds to make the image a lot cleaner and crisper. It seems very difficult to eliminate that in real time unless you use this temporal AA thing. Certainly going to 4K doesn't really help as I was expecting it to when seeing 4K for the first time.

Soldato
I suppose another thing I noticed is the total lack of any aliasing. That also adds to make the image a lot cleaner and crisper. It seems very difficult to eliminate that in real time unless you use this temporal AA thing. Certainly going to 4K doesn't really help as I was expecting it to when seeing 4K for the first time.

Yes, being UE4 they use very advanced TAA, and also with it being pre-rendered of sorts it's easier to use the camera in such a way as to help the temporal accumulation and therefore get a better looking image than when playing fast-paced, because then you'd notice the blurriness more, especially if you're not >60 fps. But at least it's a very cheap form of effective AA.

Caporegime
OP
Wonder how many games will get patches or remasters for this console. There’s some games that I’d like to have 4K60 versions of. In fact, there’s a lot of them. :D

Soldato
I hope they just leave the current games as they are and concentrate on new ones tbh. Really don’t want another generation of remastered games from the previous generation crap.

Associate
Not sure how you can call it ugly when it's just a matte black box like the One X, just a different shaped cuboid.

What's ugly about it?

Associate
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x

Processor: Custom AMD Zen 2-based CPU (8x @ 3.6 GHz)
Graphics: Custom AMD Navi-based GPU (12 TF RDNA)
Memory: 16GB GDDR6 RAM (13GB guaranteed for game developers)
Storage: NVMe SSD (we've heard read speeds of anywhere up to 2GB/s)
Video output: 8K, 4K @ 120Hz
Optical drive: 4K Blu-ray
Ports Unknown
Colour: Matte Black
Price: Unknown
Release date: Holiday 2020

Looking at those specs, no way this going to be a £499/$499 box. Microsoft has been expanding the Xbox financing program (Xbox All Access) for a reason. Wouldn't surprise me if this thing releases closer to £699/$699.

Associate
They can afford to take an initial loss on the console and make it back on software and licenses over a few years. There is rarely an initial profit on the hardware.

Also as noted in the article:

Xbox Series X, is indeed, part of a series of consoles, and will be accompanied by a less-powerful, cheaper version currently codenamed "Lockhart."

The price of the Series X is going to disappoint a lot of people looking for a powerful, cheap box.

Back
Top Bottom