Let's talk about subscription gaming

Soldato
Exhaust one service and then cancel, move on to the other. :)

That WAS my plan! I had just got Game Pass month and planned to exhaust the games I was interested in in one big pre-Christmas binge once I finish work. 10 games installed so far. Most tried out and uninstalled again, a few completed. Now just Rage 2, Sunset Overdrive and Operencia to go. Maybe try out Stellaris to see if I want to pick it up in a Christmas sale.

BUT, now by the uninvited and malicious free gift of a month's Access form Origin I have more games to get through than I can manage! ********! :)

I mean, it's probably not healthy to repond to the Game Pass discounted period in the first place with the plan of fitting in the biggest gaming binge I can just for the sake of playing games I'm vaguely interested in.

It's like gorging yourself to the point of pain at a restaurant just because it's got a time-limited all-you-can-eat deal. Of course, I do that as well...

Soldato
I'm suffering from too many games and too little time :p

Currently subbed to Origin Access, Game Pass, and Humble Monthly. It's difficult to turn them down though. Access is £20/year. Game Pass set me back ~£60 for three years. And while Humble is a lot more expensive, I flog the games I don't want and wind up paying a pound or two per month for some good stuff (Kingdom Come, Squad, CoD:WWII, SCVI etc.).

I used to pay for Boomerang, but that's now gone out the window, and my PS4 barely gets a look in. It'll be on the MM soon, I think. If I'm paying full price for games, it's on the Switch.

Soldato
I gave it a bash, and have mixed feelings. I enjoyed Gears 5 and would not have regretted paying around £30 for that. I tried Vampyr, Wasteland 2 & Rage 2 and these are all games that were on my Steam wishlist awaiting a sale. I didn't enjoy any of them, and it felt like no loss at all to try them out.

Unfortunately, I got a few hard freezes during my time with Gears 5. I've also had 2 BSODs while just surfing the Xbox app. Add to that, that the games get installed into a folder that I am denied access to and it's no way, not for me. Xbox for PC is utter trash and has been uninstalled.

I've been impressed with the subscription model, so will probably give Origin a try. :)

I got the game pass free 3 months with 5700xt, and while the game selection is good, I just haven't been able to get it working with steam streaming, which is a deal breaker for me, so I'll be enjoying my 5 months for £3 or whatever I paid, and cancelling it

Soldato
I have mixed feelings about subscription gaming. On the one hand, you can play games you wanted but never really would have paid for, but on the other hand when you don't have to commit anything you don't give games as much of a chance and they feel worthless. That's my experience anyway

Caporegime
I paid £14.99 for the EA Origin Access Premier just to play Jedi Fallen Order. A game that is £40+ for the premium version. Which I got. And if I complete it within the month then I will cancel my sub. I’ve ‘saved’ £35.

Associate
I paid £14.99 for the EA Origin Access Premier just to play Jedi Fallen Order. A game that is £40+ for the premium version. Which I got. And if I complete it within the month then I will cancel my sub. I’ve ‘saved’ £35.
yeah, many have done that. It's a pretty good service, honestly.

Associate
Correct, just like TV. Chop content up into as many little peices as possible and then keep reselling it to you over and over agan every month. They can get stuffed.

Any games with replay value like all my Paradox and TW titles and their assorted mods are all duplicated and stored away, so I'll never need to play online, download games, or try and find old mods from 10 years ago.
Damn, i cant even imagine the amount of drives to keep that sort of back going after quite a few years.

Soldato
I've been given a month of Origin Basic where I have discovered and am very much enjoying Titanfall 2 multiplayer

Does anyone know, when this expires next week and I buy Titanfall 2 outright, will it remember all my settings and rank etc?

Thanks

Soldato
I like the ~£5 monthly sub services for trying a game/games. Sign up, cancel immediately so I don't have to remember later on and make the most of the month.

Uplay's whatever is stupidly overpriced, especially considering all their games are the same nowadays. Far cry, far cry - city hackers, far cry - ancient parkour, far cry - boring microtransactions, far cry tucker carlson, far cry driving.

Gew

Gew

Associate
I loathe it, almost as much as I loathe in-game micro-purchases.
I'm an old-school:er, born several decades ago.

Soldato
I've only spent around $1500 over 10 years from what I see. Kinda hard for subs to compete with that, plus I keep all the games. Though tbh I kinda went overboard for 2-3 years just stocking up on games during sales. In reality I now spend even less a year. Heck, I look at my steam transactions now and for 2019 I only bought Hitman 2... which I did with wallet credit from flogging artifact cards early, so not even an expense (though I do regret the purchase, and got it for near retail too which I almost never do). And 2018? Around 60€ or so.

Nowadays if it's not coming to GOG I don't even care, unless it's truly exceptional, e.g. got Odyssey day 1 full price + season pass. Well worth it, but there's only one of those every 2-3 years, and it was definitely better to buy it outright rather than if they had the 15 a month sub.

Soldato
Subscription gaming can be pretty neat, I just subscribed to Game Pass for Windows as there's a deal atm, first month dirt cheap and I have some money left on the Store to cover for another two months if I feel like it. Wanted to play Gears 5 and Metro Exodus so it'll be way cheaper this way and I might even be able to complete Hellblade and Outer Worlds.

After that I'm out, pretty good deal.

Soldato
Subscription gaming can be pretty neat, I just subscribed to Game Pass for Windows as there's a deal atm, first month dirt cheap and I have some money left on the Store to cover for another two months if I feel like it. Wanted to play Gears 5 and Metro Exodus so it'll be way cheaper this way and I might even be able to complete Hellblade and Outer Worlds.

After that I'm out, pretty good deal.

if their still doing it you can upgrade to ultimate for 1 quid and get another 3 months, just turn off auto renew as the ultimate renewl price is dumb, then when it runs out just resubcribe to the pc only one :)

Soldato
Just subscribed last night to gamepass 3 months for £1. Purely to play Forza horizon 4 and it's pretty good :) if you compare the game time I've had already to a session on an arcade game for £1 then it's blown it out of the water. For me though I'm unlikely to resub at the end.

I may sub to origin access though as at £20 a year it's good value to me for Madden (albeit a year out of date) and mass effect games that I still have to play.

Soldato
if their still doing it you can upgrade to ultimate for 1 quid and get another 3 months, just turn off auto renew as the ultimate renewl price is dumb, then when it runs out just resubcribe to the pc only one :)

Wow, they do, amazing deal but I can't use that as they require a credit card number, even on PayPal, since it seems it'll only let me go through the deal if I have enough funds on the store to cover a renewal at a normal price:/ I don't so they ask for a different payment method and I don't use credit or debit cards at all, I only have a bank account and PayPal linked to it.

Soldato
Wow, they do, amazing deal but I can't use that as they require a credit card number, even on PayPal, since it seems it'll only let me go through the deal if I have enough funds on the store to cover a renewal at a normal price:/ I don't so they ask for a different payment method and I don't use credit or debit cards at all, I only have a bank account and PayPal linked to it.

thats wierd i used paypal to get it, only thing i done different was redeem a 3 month code i got with my gpu before doing it, covered up to june for 2 quid.

try posting in the gamepass thread theres guys there getting years out of it for cheap :)

oh turn of auto renewal before doing it u get another month for turning it on then u can turn it off lol

edit: i dont have a credit card.

Last edited:
Soldato
thats wierd i used paypal to get it, only thing i done different was redeem a 3 month code i got with my gpu before doing it, covered up to june for 2 quid.

try posting in the gamepass thread theres guys there getting years out of it for cheap :)

oh turn of auto renewal before doing it u get another month for turning it on then u can turn it off lol

edit: i dont have a credit card.

Doesn't let me go through, when I select PayPal it asks for a credit card number to complete, as if it couldn't just take that quid from my Microsoft account and then let me top up later, I can cancel anytime anyways so they're not getting any guaranteed payment:/ I could do the standard GP deal without problems as I have enough on my MS account for a renewal.

EDIT: I think I know what's going on, I must gave enough on my PayPal as well so I'll just transfer some funds from my bank account and then get them back, I don't keep much there:p

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't let me go through, when I select PayPal it asks for a credit card number to complete, as if it couldn't just take that quid from my Microsoft account and then let me top up later, I can cancel anytime anyways so they're not getting any guaranteed payment:/ I could do the standard GP deal without problems as I have enough on my MS account for a renewal.

dang that sucks go int he game pass thread just below this one theres people a lot more knowledgable than me there :)

edit: ahh did u get it sorted?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom