Best way to learn maths required for game development?

Soldato
Your more thinking about triangles, meshes and surfaces. Every shape can be made from a series of triangles, you don't draw squares or circles but triangles, even for the most complex shapes. You also have quads.

The maths isn't really complex it's viewing and understanding things in 2D or 3D space and subdividing everything in smaller sections as part of a larger mesh that you need to get your heads around. There is a fair bit of theory to learn and your right and the very beginning, it can be a long process depending on how capable you are at learning.

All 3D objects that we see on the computer screen are actually made of tiny little geometrical objects often called primitives. Quadrilaterals, triangles, n-gons etc. are example of primitives. We will concentrate on triangles mostly because of one main reason: every object can be split into triangles but a triangle cannot be split into anything else than triangles. Because of this, drawing triangles is a lot simpler than drawing polygons of higher order; less things to deal with. This is why those triangles are so commonly used in computer graphics.

Associate
I think the best way to learn it is to practice it tbh!
I'd avoid all the game engines for now, as whilst you can investigate the maths and rewrite some of the behaviour a lot of it is obfuscated from the programmer, whereas if you wrote some simple 2D/3D simulations using say C++ and OpenGL or whatever combination of language/graphics API you wanted you'd be required to do all the maths from scratch unless you use a library.

Soldato
OP
I think the best way to learn it is to practice it tbh!
I'd avoid all the game engines for now, as whilst you can investigate the maths and rewrite some of the behaviour a lot of it is obfuscated from the programmer, whereas if you wrote some simple 2D/3D simulations using say C++ and OpenGL or whatever combination of language/graphics API you wanted you'd be required to do all the maths from scratch unless you use a library.

I'll have a play around then with DirectX and C++ and see what I can come up with. I'll save the Unreal engine until I know more about what is going on under the hood.

Soldato
Thanks. That looks interesting. So with the maths outlined in the post by @mid_gen what would I be able to do? Simple 3D movement with some collision detection as well?

It depends what you want to learn.

If you want to learn how to make games, then use UnrealEngine and start creating games.

If you want to learn how to make game engines, then start with DirectX/OpenGL.

The former is a *lot* easier than the latter.

Caporegime
You asked about maths several months ago OP and I wrote quite a big post in reply - I thought you were going to start a maths degree this October (in which case you'll likely cover pretty much all of the maths you'll need and more)?

There was a games book recommended by @mid_gen earlier, Game development isn't my area and that's probably a very useful reference book. From what has been posted though a lot of what you need is essentially the same applied mathematics that would be covered in any general text aimed at Engineering students, Physics students etc.. Ill again suggest the book I suggested in Feb as a useful reference:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematical-Methods-Physics-Engineering-Comprehensive/dp/0521679710
I

Or see also books by Kreyszig or Stroud. If you're on a budget then these two have been printed in multiple versions so you could always pick up an older second hand copy of them on amazon- it isn't like the coverage has dramatically changed in the last decades. Kreyszig starts at ODEs so the it might be better to get the Bence etc.. book linked above or the two Stroud Books if you're starting from a lower level.

Also the Schaum outlines series* provide you with plenty of example questions - you could pick up say a calculus or advanced calculus etc.. book from them (not sure on the titles but take a look - they cover plenty of topics). Also check out dover books for specific topics too - they reprint old maths books.

The MIT open courseware site will cover A-Level and 1st year university calculus and linear algebra and will move onto ODEs, PDEs - take a look at Strang's lectures for the Linear Algebra. Also see Boyd's first set of EE lectures on the Stanford Engineering Everywhere site (he's also got some nice convex optimisation lectures if you're interested).

*edit - here you go, for example - these two could be a bit of a no brainer given that they're rather cheap if you're starting from scratch - if you're a bit rusty then just bashing out plenty of problems will help you get to grips with it quickly:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outline-Calculus-6th-Outlines/dp/0071795537/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outline-Advanced-Calculus-Outlines/dp/0071623663/

Then just get one of the big fat engineering maths books.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You asked about maths several months ago OP and I wrote quite a big post in reply - I thought you were going to start a maths degree this October (in which case you'll likely cover pretty much all of the maths you'll need and more)?

Thank you for the really useful post. I've snipped most of it out of the quote to make it more manageable but I just wanted to highlight this bit of it.

You are quite right. I've had some health issues recently and completely forgot about that post and your other useful reply. I was going to start a maths degree but after a lot of thought and soul searching I ended up going with a business degree as I thought it would suit me better. I'm still interested in maths as this thread shows but I'm doing it more for enjoyment now rather than for any academic reason. I've wanted to make a game for ages and now I have the time to work towards that.

Thank you again for all of the help. It is very much appreciated.

Caporegime
I'm still interested in maths as this thread shows but I'm doing it more for enjoyment now rather than for any academic reason. I've wanted to make a game for ages and now I have the time to work towards that.

Thank you again for all of the help. It is very much appreciated.

No worries, I guess @mid_gen is the one to speak to re: making a game and if you're using an engine then perhaps it won't be quite such a big cognitive load in one go... I dunno if maybe starting off with say simpler 2d mobile games or perhaps getting into modding etc.. might be worth trying as a first step perhaps?

Also I've heard good things about khan academy - that covers revision of school/6th form maths through to university if you need a refresher. The big MOOC providers have plenty of interesting courses - but MIT open courseware seems to be the most comprehensive resource if you just want the materials/lectures and are not fussed about a certificate. Hope it all works out :)

Associate
https://www.udemy.com/user/gamedevtv/
These guys have a massive selection of courses on Udemy.
I have a handfull of them and work through them when I get some free time.

They have a generic course for each of Unreal, Unity and Godot (imo the engines are pretty much the same but different, especialy for a solo/indie dev it will not make much difference).
There are also speciality courses such as the Blender or RPG ones.

They also do a Maths for game course, but I cant find it on Udemy.

They are moving away from Udemy towards there own site. I have not spent much time on here but they do not seem to offer the same deep discounts.

https://www.gamedev.tv/p/math-for-games

Ah, I see you got the humble bundle. It comes up now and again and is good value for money. They update the courses and keep them relevant for newer versions of the SDKs.

Back
Top Bottom