Pervert watches 8 year old via Ring security camera in her bedroom.

Soldato
The secure way would be a physical network link.

But that requires installing a cat5 cable. People are lazy and want the convenience of wifi. Problem is in IT secure and convenient rarely go together, so the world has become a hackers playground.

Soldato
OP
My parents would have seen a lot of action from the age of 7 while I was reading The Beano and Dandy.
I was around 12/13 when I realised it was all about girls.

Similar on my end.

I started whacking off around 9-10, crass as it is to say. Unless there's a damn good reason, such as @Dave85 pointed out earlier in this thread, decent parents should not be infringing on the privacy of a child of that age to that extent. It'll lead to them being pretty messed up later in life I'd wager. Privacy is important, especially to the growth of a child/teenager on the cusp of puberty.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Maybe it's one of the parents who are perverts? And renting the video link on the side... dirty ********.

If we're all jumping to berate the parents from a single tweet.

Soldato
OP
Maybe it's one of the parents who are perverts? And renting the video link on the side... dirty ********.

If we're all jumping to berate the parents from a single tweet.

I think you're over exaggerating here bud.

Yes people are questioning why a camera might be in the room of an 8 year old, but at the same time I think most (myself included) are fully aware, and have stated as such, that there may be circumstances in which it would be warranted.

Soldato
This is a reason I don't buy Ring products as they all want to save remotely.

Also isn't this camera breaking the law? If the kid undressed then its transmitting an indecent image of a child. I thought that's why schools had to remove cameras from the bathrooms.

Unless there is a medical reason why is a camera there?

I have an NVR system using ethernet cables that I put the camera outside. I could cable one in to a room and that would record all the time. It saves 2 weeks worth of footage locally. I purposely didn't put the network details in to the system, so it can only be accessed locally.

Man of Honour
Surely the answer is to have better security out of the box though? Technology is so prevalent now that expecting only people who know how to work the underlying technology to use it is completely unrealistic.

Edit: Added missing words for clarity.

Security/privacy costs money and has no perceived value to the vast majority of customers. So why would a manufacturer bother with it much? It only makes their widget more expensive than competing widgets with the same functionality and that only flies if their widgets are fashion items too. Sure, there's a little bit of negative publicity if a child is involved, but just blame that on "hackers" and ride it out. Still cheaper than even trying to put in some security/privacy that involves absolutely no inconvenience for the user and usually there won't be a child involved so the failure of security/privacy will be nothing more than a small story on a niche interest website. Even if millions of people are affected, it will at worst be a filler story on some mainstream media.

We live in a world in which many people pay to have an always-on full audio bug in their house that hears everything, processes it all for speech to text and uploads whatever it likes to wherever it likes. They also pay to have their movements tracked. Many people pay to be subjected to surveillance beyond what a police force will do to a serious suspect after obtaining a warrant! Obviously hardly anyone cares one jot about privacy/security any more.

Soldato
/snip
I'm also curious to know why this guy deliberately alerted the girl to his presence when he could have sat there watching as long as he wanted without her knowledge. That seems a bit weird. Surely there's more to this story than we're being told. Or perhaps it isn't actually true.
/snip

If the guy could gain her trust and become her "friend", he may be able to coerce her into doing things for her "friend".

Caporegime
If the guy could gain her trust and become her "friend", he may be able to coerce her into doing things for her "friend".

That still makes no sense at all, considering (a) she'd tell her parents immediately, and (b) he's literally capturing himself on video for the benefit of the parents and cops! They can hear everything he's doing!

Nah, too much about this story just doesn't add up.

Soldato
The secure way would be a physical network link.

But that requires installing a cat5 cable. People are lazy and want the convenience of wifi. Problem is in IT secure and convenient rarely go together, so the world has become a hackers playground.

Not just IT.

Industrial environments generally are a constant battle between engineers trying to make working practices safe (Mechanical interlocks on machines and so on) and operators trying to get round them because they are bloody inconvenient.

One of the more alarming examples from my younger days involved Castel locking keys The idea was that you physically could not unlock the door to the HV compound unless the power was switched off first.

However, it was realised that one could mill the centre out of a key and turn it into a universal key and most people carried one so modified in their pockets.

I only remember one bloke who actually managed to zap himself from a 33Kv busbar!

(Amazingly he actually survived, but he did blow a large hole in his side and couldn't speak for 6 months)

Soldato
There are so many weird things in this report. I've had Ring kit for a few years now (albeit only outside).

- You can't access Ring cameras just by being on the local network or 'hacking into wifi'
- You access Ring cameras via their apps, or on some third party services with account linking (account linking being the operative word)
- The only way I can see this possibly have happened, is that they used the same username/password everywhere and someone has worked it out, or they have given account access to something dodgy.

Cheapo IP cameras from Aliexpress are very prone to being hacked if you're on the same network, the security is handled on the device, but cloud based devices like Ring aren't susceptible to that kind of attack.

Man of Honour
There are so many weird things in this report. I've had Ring kit for a few years now (albeit only outside).

- You can't access Ring cameras just by being on the local network or 'hacking into wifi'
- You access Ring cameras via their apps, or on some third party services with account linking (account linking being the operative word)
- The only way I can see this possibly have happened, is that they used the same username/password everywhere and someone has worked it out, or they have given account access to something dodgy.

Cheapo IP cameras from Aliexpress are very prone to being hacked if you're on the same network, the security is handled on the device, but cloud based devices like Ring aren't susceptible to that kind of attack.

Nobody in the average population reading the MSM about stuff like this will understand the technical ins and outs of any of this and the outfits know this as they too are typically not tech literate either. This is the state we currently are in and it will only get worse for a short while until the young tech generation of today are older and grow up understanding these things (generally speaking).

Back
Top Bottom