• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Just curious, what are external storage options gonna be like for this? Could you connect another nvme drive externally somehow? And if you could would it be bottlenecked by USB or PCI-E bandwidth? Maybe we'll have to stick to sata ssd?

I really have not kept up with storage technology recently, so no idea what the limitations are.

Soldato
I imagine it will be USB C with possibly thunderbolt support ? Connecting a mech drive or slower ssd may mean loading times or it might cache to its faster drive. Who knows all guess work until details are revealed.

Man of Honour
You do realise MS are going to buy millions of each component to build them. It’s not like a one of custom pc......

The high price is probably why they are rumoured to be making a low powered version.

They get to have the most powerful console but they don't alienate a huge chunk of the market (again) with the most expensive console.

This is how they win on both power and price as they have stated they want to do.

Soldato
False advertising marketing this as a 4K native 60fps console IMO. 2080Ti can't run all games at 4K at a solid 60FPS. No way a weaker console can, games will probably be using dynamic resolution again or lower quality textures, or both. And they're likely stating 60FPS as an average and not a constant I suppose.

Good value for the hardware inside no doubt, will cost a bit more to build a PC equivalent but I'd still rather do that myself and then some.

Soldato
False advertising marketing this as a 4K native 60fps console IMO. 2080Ti can't run all games at 4K at a solid 60FPS. No way a weaker console can, games will probably be using dynamic resolution again or lower quality textures, or both. And they're likely stating 60FPS as an average and not a constant I suppose.

Good value for the hardware inside no doubt, will cost a bit more to build a PC equivalent but I'd still rather do that myself and then some.
Silly post - nothing fake about it. They can already do it with Forza. Remember they have said nothing about the settings to get 4K 60

Caporegime
OP
You forget three things this time.
1) Consoles with fixed hardware means games get optimised more than on PC
2) Variable Rate Shading means not all areas in a scene have to be redrawn from scratch each frame
3) Variable Refresh Rate means you won’t have to maintain solid 60fps anymore as your TV (eventually if you haven’t got one yet) will smooth out any choppiness

Soldato
L

Most racing games can be ran at 4k 60 there allot simpler than most open world games where there is far more going on
Yes, obviously but it’s still 4K 60. Given the one x is capable of 4k30 in RDR2 I see no reason why thee new generation cannot do 4k60. Do I expect every game to be 4k60? No. And again - they could turn all of the settings down to achieve it. Not sure why people are having a hard time seeing that

Soldato
Yes, obviously but it’s still 4K 60. Given the one x is capable of 4k30 in RDR2 I see no reason why thee new generation cannot do 4k60. Do I expect every game to be 4k60? No. And again - they could turn all of the settings down to achieve it. Not sure why people are having a hard time seeing that
Because a 2080Ti which is a £1k graphics card can't sustain 60fps at 4k in every game so a potentially £500/600 won't be able to.

Even 4k30 doesn't always hold at that frame rate.

I also would love 4k 60 but I'd rather have lower Res and stable frame rate with HDR, to me HDR makes the difference more than 4k imo

I will say one thing the consols could in theory do it before PC because it's self contained and far easier to optimize on consol than PC

Associate
HDR has been the game-changer this gen far more than 4K. HDR needs to be properly implemented on every game for the next gen.

Associate
How did the PC equivalent to Xbox one price comparison compare at launch to this new series x? Going by the specs of this its going to be hard to beat on price unless there is a dramatic drop in GPU prices and or some new value cards come out next year. That said another year or two after the release of the new consoles and i guess we will start to see new pc components and used prices totally change again. Technology moves so quick it won't be long until people are realistically trying to archive 8k 60fps at all times.

Caporegime
OP
What is 8K going to be like on piddly computer monitors? I can’t see many PC gamers going that route, they’ll be chasing ray tracing effects instead of resolution. For console gamers on big TVs, 8K is going to be the next target and should be more noticeable. I’m already finding 4K a bit lacklustre these days. :o

Man of Honour
Because a 2080Ti which is a £1k graphics card can't sustain 60fps at 4k in every game so a potentially £500/600 won't be able to.

Even 4k30 doesn't always hold at that frame rate.

I also would love 4k 60 but I'd rather have lower Res and stable frame rate with HDR, to me HDR makes the difference more than 4k imo

I will say one thing the consols could in theory do it before PC because it's self contained and far easier to optimize on consol than PC

At most people's viewing distance 4k can't be resolved by the human eye anyway.

I'm really hoping for every game to have quality and performance options if 4k60 isn't possible. I would much rather have dynamic resolution at 60fps or 1080p60 over 4k30.

Caporegime
OP
I think with Microsoft first party games, 4K60 will be the minimum. This is Phil’s baseline. It’s going to be those pesky 3rd parties that muck it all up.

Although, what you might get is 4K60 with minimal/no ray tracing and 1080p60 with more RT effects.

Back
Top Bottom