The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
I was thinking today. The Peloton bikes are nothing special are they.

As far as I can tell no.

The streaming or fixed workout classes could be run using any bike/trainer.

If you owned a smart trainer and set your FTP correctly on their software then it could just use Erg mode and alter the resistance for you as a % of your FTP to meet the sessions targets.

Do you think they are potentially missing a trick here? They could get a load more subscribers at £20 p/m this way, can’t imagine too many people will fork out 2 grand on a specific bike?

They advertise the app separately for running/gym classes so I assume you can use it for any bike too?

It looks so cheesy though.. I've never been one for classes of any sort I'd much rather train alone

Soldato
Oh me neither, I was just musing.

I have done a handful of spin classes when I’ve been on holiday before to try and keep the weight off.

Looking at my Richmond hill numbers for the short (75-90 second segment) April 2016 574w (just before I did state masters) Dec 2017 350w when I was just getting back into it. Did about 425w x2 today and legs feel shattered now, I need to work on those short efforts.

My overall FTP has dropped maybe 20% but those short punch numbers I had from racing just drop off so much!

Soldato
The powerblock for my Kickr (V2) has worn just where the cable exits and is a little exposed. Years of moving it on & off the garage floor I suspect. Power supply is a little temperamental but if not moved its fine.

Obviously needs replacing with another 12v brick but curious to know if there are unbranded alternatives cheaper than the £40 Wahoo? If there's not much in it I don't see the point but if I can pick up something significantly cheaper to do the same job why not eh...

Associate
As long as you get something that outputs the same voltage and ampage I can't think why you'd need a Wahoo branded version, assuming they don't use a weird connector. I'd imagine they will just be badged Wahoo and made by some random OEM supplier anyway.

Soldato
Had a look on ebay yet? As above there will no doubt be some equivalent. Might be worth going back to manufacturer and seeing if you can blag a new one!

Soldato
I can't ride saturday morning, actually get the chance to ride outside with the club so I'm taking it - unless the weather gods throw a spanner in the works. :rolleyes: ;)
I never done stage 3 yesterday, I decided to do my normal 2 hour Saturday morning Sportive. I might leave it until Thursday again as I'm going to attempt a ramp test on Monday to see where I am, so maybe a light spin today.

I wiped out on a country side cross roads in November due to hitting black ice so I'm a bit dubious about getting out in the cold around here. Temps definitely need to rise slightly!

Soldato
Did stage 3 today, my longest ever Zwift ride (I struggle to stay motivated indoors tbh) and it didn't go too bad... although I hate those hills! It's not like, on my wheel on trainer, I can just power up them. I have to just drop the gears and crawl up them.

I had a panic attack 1hr 30 mins in when different BT items disconnected (HRM and cadence sensor) and a short while later I realised my MacBook only had 5% battery left! (This is after I'd already changed the battery on the cadence sensor) I swapped out the 3rd party charger for the official one and it seemed to go back to normal, everything connected in again.

I have early shifts tomorrow and Tuesday so Stage 4 should be no problem, then a day off on Thursday to smash another 2 hours into the final stage :)

Soldato
Did stage 3 myself yesterday, been a while since I climbed the virtual Leith Hill, forgot how long it is!

Crit City course is decently balanced between flat, rolling a small incline... Laps just fly by on such a small route, 8 laps was ~15.5Km iirc.

Soldato
Yea, I can't say I took it easy on the 2 climbs either hah. My power isn't amazing compared to most on here, last FTP was around 206watts (3+ months ago) but I tried to maintain at least 200+ going up them. So plenty of yellow and red in the Zwift graph hehe
Plenty of red & yellow is always fantastic training, even if you're dropping down into blues/greys on the flats. These type of rides I'll try to be blues/greens in the group and then climbing at yellow hopefully without too much red - saving those spikes and efforts for when others make moves and the sprints. Of course 'it's not a race' means sod all on Zwift, even with a specific race category! Some of the finishes in these group rides are more competitive than the races! ;)

I bought a Canyon bike and they must have been running a Zwift promo at the time :)
Ahhh fair enough. With the price of zwift these days that's a great deal.

I was thinking today. The Peloton bikes are nothing special are they.
Correct, overpriced nonsense. Totally tied into their software & system. But I think that's part of the appeal to most - no faffing, no compromises, but equally they're totally unflexible.

They're not generally bought by cyclists. Now we have trainer bikes there's really no need to tie yourself into a system like that. Yes Peloton 'missed a trick' but equally they don't care. They tried to sue 'Peloton' magazine for use of their name and think also GPLama when he mentioned their product? Absolute joke of a company, typical American one really - do their own thing, sod everyone else and sue anyone that mentions or critiques them (refreshing my Inbox now waiting for my warning...)

Looking at my Richmond hill numbers for the short (75-90 second segment) April 2016 574w (just before I did state masters) Dec 2017 350w when I was just getting back into it. Did about 425w x2 today and legs feel shattered now, I need to work on those short efforts.

My overall FTP has dropped maybe 20% but those short punch numbers I had from racing just drop off so much!
Still good numbers considering your huge change in mileage etc after your move! Some of those efforts are good training if you can get them. I've actually got part of my commute with a couple of drags which those kinda times/efforts when towing the chariot. Have really noticed the difference to that sort of stuff when social/club riding - I just don't feel them. But then do catch myself out sometimes, I go too deep without realising/fatigued and struggle to recover.

The powerblock for my Kickr (V2) has worn just where the cable exits and is a little exposed. Years of moving it on & off the garage floor I suspect. Power supply is a little temperamental but if not moved its fine.

Obviously needs replacing with another 12v brick but curious to know if there are unbranded alternatives cheaper than the £40 Wahoo? If there's not much in it I don't see the point but if I can pick up something significantly cheaper to do the same job why not eh...
Bennnnnnyyyy, good to see you buddy and to hear you're still turbo'ing! Hope you're well - as summised should be easy to replace with a cheaper alternative, but watch the end type/measure it to be sure you get the right one. Also well worth giving Wahoo a shout, their support are pretty good. Also could you not just wrap & shrink the bare cable to protect it? If it doesn't need repair... Yet!?

I never done stage 3 yesterday, I decided to do my normal 2 hour Saturday morning Sportive. I might leave it until Thursday again as I'm going to attempt a ramp test on Monday to see where I am, so maybe a light spin today.

I wiped out on a country side cross roads in November due to hitting black ice so I'm a bit dubious about getting out in the cold around here. Temps definitely need to rise slightly!
Saw that Sportive ride as did scout out if you'd ridden it or not! Nice training, but looked tough if I recall?

I've missed Stage 3 I think, so catchup will involve stage 1 & 3 so far... With WTRL tuesday night I'm not riding before then either, will probably write off Wednesday too, so earliest I'll ride again is Thursday. Meaning I'll probably need to catch-up stage 4 as well. Might have to give up completing that one unless they do a bunch of catchup rides over several days for it! :(

Did stage 3 today, my longest ever Zwift ride (I struggle to stay motivated indoors tbh) and it didn't go too bad... although I hate those hills! It's not like, on my wheel on trainer, I can just power up them. I have to just drop the gears and crawl up them.
Great ride buddy, Leith Hill is no joke - it's a tough one! For me I almost prefer it to Box Hill, the changes in gradient means I ride it more in stages, Box for me is just a slog trying to keep power up until I get to the road markings then I know the finish is in sight! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've missed Stage 3 I think, so catchup will involve stage 1 & 3 so far... With WTRL tuesday night I'm not riding before then either, will probably write off Wednesday too, so earliest I'll ride again is Thursday. Meaning I'll probably need to catch-up stage 4 as well. Might have to give up completing that one unless they do a bunch of catchup rides over several days for it! :(

Ride schedule from Zwift.com:
  • Stage 1: December 9–10
  • Stage 2: December 11–12
  • Stage 3: December 14–15
  • Stage 4: December 16-17
  • Stage 5: December 18–19
Makeup Stages: December 21–22

So if I want to catch up I'll be Zwifting tonight to do stage 5 (totally possible), then doing stages 1, 3 & 4 over the weekend... Totally possible. The rolling scedule seems to be stages starting 10 minutes apart after the hour, on:
  • Saturday at 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 9pm.
  • Sunday at 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 8pm.
Although Saturday is 3R's Zwiftathon. Several long group rides this weekend to help a couple of nutters legends try to ride 1000km in 24H. I was going to jump on for a few hours. Equally the group will be 3.0w/kg minimum so highly likely to get dropped! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Ride schedule from Zwift.com:
  • Stage 1: December 9–10
  • Stage 2: December 11–12
  • Stage 3: December 14–15
  • Stage 4: December 16-17
  • Stage 5: December 18–19
Makeup Stages: December 21–22
Doubt I'll attempt to try get them all now, I didn't look into it which was my downfall heh

Soldato
It's totally possible, just think do the CAT B for each which is the single lap/'short' course. Should take less than an hour so not too much fatigue... Then do it twice a day on saturday & sunday.

Although annoyingly the schedule being 3 hours apart in the day mean you can't ride the stages straight after each other, even the CAT A long routes take less than 2h. I could quite happily do a 3-4 hour solid ride on Sunday to knock the 4 missing ones all off one after another, but not possible.

Currently thinking Stage 5 tonight. Can't ride saturday morning so 7pm do Stage 1. Then Sunday do some of the Zwiftathon in the morning before jumping into the 9am & 12pm rides for Stage 3 & 4 with Zwiftathon between. Although that may mean 6 hours on the bike with a few gaps spread over 4+ events. Unsure if I'm 'allowed' to ride that much when also riding saturday night... :o

Soldato
Yea, looking at it I might be able to do...

Stage 5 (A) tomorrow, Stage 1 & 4 (B) on Saturday leaving Stage 3 (A) for Sunday.

It all depends if I time can spare the time, I'll be gutted if I can't do the final one lol

Soldato
Stages 3 and 5 are only 1 lap for everyone. There's no shorter ride, so you're looking at 26 miles / 40km, with some nasty uphill parts. I'm planning on doing Stage 5 tomorrow at 2pm to complete the set :) I expecting it to take me at least 2 hours like Stage 3 (although maybe without the technical issues it will be a bit quicker) Mind you, the last 4-6km look horrible! :( Mind you, it's actually a little short and a little less elevation than Stage 3, so maybe 1½ is feasible for me.

Soldato
https://zwiftinsider.com/3-records-1-ride/

Started today. Absolutely nuts Ross Duncan again. 50,000 elevation in 1 ride. So enough to unlock the Tron in 1 ride, 5 vEverests (using Hells rules) and that elevation. Then as the total elevation is more than the TdF 2018 route will continue to ride until he's done more distance than that too... 3425km+! All in 1 ride! :o

I'll be gutted if I can't do the final one lol
Haha I've done that once or twice before and it's bugged me. But as I didn't ride last night really not going to even attempt it now. The times I've completed these Tours it's always taken quite an effort to 'finish' off a couple of stages catching up, so not going to do it to myself by having 4+ to catchup! The hassle/stress is not worth it. Nor is the kit, it's boring. #excuses :cool: ;)

I'll just ride as much of the Zwiftathon as I can/I'm allowed. Would be nice to cross off 160km and maybe even 200km. :)

Soldato
I just done stage 5, I think that's the first time I've went up Keith Hill... Maybe the last ;). Three stages to go!

My damn HRM Run packed in the other night, I thought it was the battery but no such luck. I find it weird not seeing heart rate data, sooo Amazon to the rescue...

Soldato
Few zwift rides this week but no racing.

Very easy one on Tuesday as I was tired from work & a longer ride Sunday.

Bounced back tonight with three efforts up the volcano climb. First one warming up, second one feeling good, last one empty the tank!

Back
Top Bottom