Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
At only 50" you are only just able to resolve 4k at 3 feet. 8k would be pointless for a screen that small unless you're 1 foot away!

I dunno, I can see the pixels making up text in Windows. Not really noticeable when gaming as I sit a bit further back but aliasing is still janky at 4K and text could be even crisper. Like iPhone crisp. I like the way the image on an iPhone looks like it's painted on to the screen, I want to experience the same thing on a TV. Maybe I need OLED TV instead. Or 8K! I think a 5K iMac at 27" is pretty close to that feeling.

Man of Honour
I dunno, I can see the pixels making up text in Windows. Not really noticeable when gaming as I sit a bit further back but aliasing is still janky at 4K and text could be even crisper. Like iPhone crisp. I like the way the image on an iPhone looks like it's painted on to the screen, I want to experience the same thing on a TV. Maybe I need OLED TV instead. Or 8K! I think a 5K iMac at 27" is pretty close to that feeling.

It sounds like oled would be a much bigger benefit for you than 8k.

Text is a weird one because the font and rendering makes a bigger difference than resolution, which is why relatively low resolution iPhone/mac screens look better for text than high resolution Android or Windows devices.

Aliasing doesn't scale well with resolution increase, so games still need AA even at 8k.

Man of Honour
Only 50" but I'm sat so close that I can touch it with my fingertips.

*image of hilariously massive screen way too close snipped*

This has got to be a troll, if it isn't, what possesses you to do this? It can't feel good.

:edit: yep, knew I'd seen it somewhere else. Ya got me for a second :D

Soldato
What is 8K going to be like on piddly computer monitors? I can’t see many PC gamers going that route, they’ll be chasing ray tracing effects instead of resolution. For console gamers on big TVs, 8K is going to be the next target and should be more noticeable. I’m already finding 4K a bit lacklustre these days. :o

Well prepared for disappointment.

1) Placing a 8k and 4k screen next to eachother with both at normal sizes (let's say 75 inch) - they look nearly indentical playing 8k content unless you move within 2 feet from the screen. The difference becomes more apparent at 90 inch +. I don't know how many people are going to have 90inch or bigger screens, but that's who 8k is designed for.

2) If you like OLED, 8k OLED is here and while expensive now will get cheaper. If you want LED/LCD/QLED etc - then get prepared for THICC boys, 8k screens are thicc and heavy and require multiple people to lift and move them around. Additionally they require a lot of power, all 8k TV's currently on the market pull 600w to 700w from the wall. The reason for this insane power draw is due to the technical problems with trying to pass light through all the extra filters they have to use to try and maintain some semblance of color contrast (this is also why 4k and 8k screens currently don't look very different because 8k screens have worse contrast ratios than 4k)

Soldato
^^ That looks pretty good it will be interesting to see what the special edition will be like or the limited edition models if they release any that is.

Caporegime
OP
LOL, I did have some of you with that random instagram pic of the gent in front a big TV. I think he's using 4:3 whereas my TV is not nearly as tall being 16:9 but I'm still pretty much the same distance away.

Back
Top Bottom