The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
The start of my Christmas 2019 whisky stash, I only drink in December so like to get some good drams in:-

1. Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength Sherry 57.1%

1.jpg
Nice! That is one I would still have bought, but I found out it had been released
too late and it appears sold out everywhere I checked. Probably mainly by flippers unfortunately. Enjoy yours!

Associate
I get it. I've had to rein myself in this year. I was buying whisky at a far greater rate than I was drinking, and still not getting all the bottles I wanted to try. At my usual drinking rate what I have now would almost certainly last well in excess of 5 years. This year (and next) I'm only buying things I really want, or it's on such an incredibly good offer that is never likely to be anywhere near that price again.

I drink them tbh. I've got the Caol Ila 18, Mortlach 15 GoT, and a Tobermory Distillery Special...Xmas sorted. I still can't stop!

The start of my Christmas 2019 whisky stash, I only drink in December so like to get some good drams in:-

1. Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength Sherry 57.1%

1.jpg

Gorgeous :o x

Associate
Nice! That is one I would still have bought, but I found out it had been released
too late and it appears sold out everywhere I checked. Probably mainly by flippers unfortunately. Enjoy yours!

Thanks, Gauntleys in Nottingham had a few bottles a couple of days ago, probably gone now...

Had a dram last night! I cut it down to 48%, unbelievable stuff for an 8yo, beats most 15 year old's in complexity!

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, Gauntleys in Nottingham had a few bottles a couple of days ago, probably gone now...

Had a dram last night! I cut it down to 48%, unbelievable stuff for an 8yo, beats most 15 year old's in complexity!
If you like that I dare say you would also like the Springbank 12 cask strength. Unfortunately that is also limited availability so I doubt you will get the last one now, but it comes out twice a year so worth keeping an eye out for.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Can anyone recommend something similar to dalmore 15? Preferably under £40
dalmore 15 is very sherried if I remember

so for around 40 quid...Benriach 12 sherry wood. ( it matures its entire 12 years in different sherry casks...so no bourbon wood, its rich and very satisfying)

https://www.tyndrumwhisky.com/benriach-12yo-sherry.html

or Glendronach 12, again a big sherry hit and a good value dram
https://www.tyndrumwhisky.com/glendronach-12-year-old.html

or maybe the tamdhu 12, again all its maturing is done only in sherry casks

https://www.tyndrumwhisky.com/tamdhu-12yo.html

Last edited:
Associate
@FTM and @Lupis thanks for your recommendations! I love a bit of a bargain so will order a bottle of the glengoyne legacy whilst on offer.

Its my birthday in January so will be sure to get a bottle of Glendronach 12 :)
I don't think you'd be disappointed with the ones FTM mentioned, especially the GlenDronach 12 (the 15 and 18 are excellent, but a fair bit over £40!). I've not tried the Tamdhu 12 since they released it as part of their core range, but the 10 it replaced was a good whisky for the money so I'd expect that to be pretty good as well.

One final tip, if you do get the Legacy I'd advise you to leave the whisky to sit in the glass for at least 15 to 20 minutes before you start on it, to let it open up a bit. That's particularly important if it's the first glasses poured from a newly opened bottle. It can be interesting to nose and taste it as soon as you pour and then leave it for a while to compare, but if it's your very first experience of it I'd say just let it sit for a while before trying.

Hopefully you enjoy whichever ones you pick up anyway.

Associate
dalmore 15 is very sherried if I remember

so for around 40 quid...Benriach 12 sherry wood. ( it matures its entire 12 years in different sherry casks...so no bourbon wood, its rich and very satisfying)

https://www.tyndrumwhisky.com/benriach-12yo-sherry.html

or Glendronach 12, again a big sherry hit and a good value dram
https://www.tyndrumwhisky.com/glendronach-12-year-old.html

or maybe the tamdhu 12, again all its maturing is done only in sherry casks

https://www.tyndrumwhisky.com/tamdhu-12yo.html

+1 on the Glendronach 12yo

Associate
Glengoyne 21 is £82 reduced from £130 at the moment on Amazon UK...
A lovely whisky at a great price. If I didn't already have a bottle I would be tempted. My only issue with the 21 is that it's only bottled at 43% abv. I just wish they'd crank it up to 46%+ so the could leave it non chill filtered.

Associate
A lovely whisky at a great price. If I didn't already have a bottle I would be tempted. My only issue with the 21 is that it's only bottled at 43% abv. I just wish they'd crank it up to 46%+ so the could leave it non chill filtered.

Agree, my issue with Glengoyne is it can be a lottery getting a good bottle, some I have tasted had that horrible sulphur candle note that I hate!

Personally I would pay an extra £10 and get a bottle of Glendronach 18...

Associate
Agree, my issue with Glengoyne is it can be a lottery getting a good bottle, some I have tasted had that horrible sulphur candle note that I hate!

Personally I would pay an extra £10 and get a bottle of Glendronach 18...
I've never encountered that myself with Glengoyne, but I know some people are really sensitive to it and it can occur in some sherry cask matured whiskies.

I was at a whisky event a while ago and there was a mystery bottle, I seem to think it was a Glen Moray if memory serves, and there was a really nasty burnt rubber effect going on with it, now that was truly horrible.

Associate
Christmas 2019 whisky stash continues with a favourite American whisky of mine:-

Blanton's Original Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon 46.5%

Last edited:
Associate
I hasten to add all the above will be shared with friends and family, I will be lucky to see 100ml from each bottle :confused:

What are you guys drinking over the Christmas period?

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't picked out anything particular for drinking over Christmas. What I drink is based on what style I'm in the mood for and that changes from one day to the next. It's why I have a lot of open bottles! With that being said something from GlenDronach 15, Glengoyne Legacy, Compass Box Flaming Heart (2015) and Laphroaig Lore will almost certainly feature at some point over the festive period.

Back
Top Bottom