VW Golf or Ford Focus

Soldato
I am looking for a mid size car, narrowed it down to VW Golf or Ford Focus, around the £3K mark. A 1.6 petrol, for this budget I am looking around 2006-2008 year models for WV Golf or 2008-09 for Focus. Which would be the better car?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
if i up my budget.. I can get the choice either 1.6 ti-vct or 1.0 ecoboost engines. Does having a turbo on the 1.0e affect the reliability of the engine compareed to the non turbo 1.6? I have only ever had non-turbo engined cars
Potentially thinking of looking at skoda octavias as well.. with either the 1.2 or 1.4 tsi engines.. 2011 or 12 models. Having a bigger boot than the focus might be useful.

Soldato
I'd avoid the 1.8 Focus, they're not that much quicker but they do seem a lot worse on fuel. The 1.6vct engine is a decent drive. At your budget you're looking at 8+ years old mostly which means they're going to be due a cambelt, so either make sure it's been done or factor in the cost of having it done.

Otherwise the Focus is generally a very reliable car. They do suffer from dash cluster faults but many places repair them for not too much money. Otherwise they tend to need lower front suspension arms at that age.

Underboss
i have had my 1.8 Focus for just over 5 years now, because its a Duratorq Engine, there is no cam-belt, its a better engine than the 1.6
ive had no problems with it at all in my ownership, never had this cluster problem that andy speaks off

they are very reliable cars

Soldato
OP
What is considered high mileage these days on a 2009 model?
Is £2300 too much for a 2009 focus with 76000 miles. It is a 1.6 Titanium model with 12 months MOT and recent new service but no FSH?
Alternative there is one with 36000 miles with FSH for £3800.. might be able to knock a hundred or so off that. Also a 1.6 Titanium but 2008 with no marks on the bodywork. Is 40000 miles less worth £1500 more roughily??

Last edited:
Soldato
4k on a 2008 focus is mad.

Check the rear sills near the rear arch, lots will be showing signs of crusty at that age.

I paid £4.5k for a 1.6 2007 Focus with 55k miles................................... 5 years ago.
To be fair, it's been a great purchase. Only thing that's gone wrong in those years is the bonnet lock broke, other than that general wear and tear and the cambelt.

Soldato

Similar experience. Paid £2500 (or thereabouts) for a 1.6, 2007, 55k miles, March 2017. Water pump went last year so they did the cambelt at the same time. Other niggles are the rear brakes will bind if it's rained heavily and slight water ingress where the spoiler is attached to the top of the boot. I've put some silicone on there but it still finds it's way in.

Oh and rear passenger lighting. There is none. :confused:

Soldato
if i up my budget.. I can get the choice either 1.6 ti-vct or 1.0 ecoboost engines. Does having a turbo on the 1.0e affect the reliability of the engine compareed to the non turbo 1.6? I have only ever had non-turbo engined cars
Potentially thinking of looking at skoda octavias as well.. with either the 1.2 or 1.4 tsi engines.. 2011 or 12 models. Having a bigger boot than the focus might be useful.
Be careful with 1.0 ecoboosts, they have a notorious issue with components melting during normal temperatures and use, which can lead to total engine failure.

Back
Top Bottom