Raising bath, question about trim

Soldato
I have bought a new set of bath panels for our bath and unfortunately they are slightly taller than the ones we had so the bath need raising up (not easy to cut the new ones down)

Currently there is a trim that runs around our bath, I am not quite sure how easy it is to remove, does this go under the tiles ?

5Agckqo.jpg

nu1jToG.jpg

EiJQMyh.jpg

Can I safely remove this, raise the bath and then use some decent anti-mould silicone to form the seal ?
Or is this a bad idea ?

Associate
Just looks like UPVC / quadrant trim.

Easy enough to remove if you want.. probably a sharp knife along the edge of the trim top and bottom, otherwise a sharp chisel and hammer will do the job.

You can raise the bath up to whatever height you want... but bear in mind the legs might limit your maximum height. Alternatively raise the legs up on timber if required. I used 4 x 4 timber and used a forstner bit to cut 30mm deep holes in it (bigger than the diameter of the leg!) and its rock solid. I recently put a bath in about 75mm higher than usual, as requested - but I made the panels out of timber..

Pretty simple!

edit:// ideally - you'd want the bath higher than the bottom of the tiles to ensure a good seal with silicon

Soldato
OP
Just looks like UPVC / quadrant trim.

Easy enough to remove if you want.. probably a sharp knife along the edge of the trim top and bottom, otherwise a sharp chisel and hammer will do the job.

You can raise the bath up to whatever height you want... but bear in mind the legs might limit your maximum height. Alternatively raise the legs up on timber if required. I used 4 x 4 timber and used a forstner bit to cut 30mm deep holes in it (bigger than the diameter of the leg!) and its rock solid. I recently put a bath in about 75mm higher than usual, as requested - but I made the panels out of timber..

Pretty simple!

edit:// ideally - you'd want the bath higher than the bottom of the tiles to ensure a good seal with silicon
Perfect thanks, answers all my questions.
nice tip about the holes in the Timber as well.

Soldato
OP
So have taken the trim off and it does go behind the tiles. Found a left over piece under the bath.
Can I replace this with something or should I just silicone straight to the wall? EiZzCfy.jpg

Soldato
Send bath panels back or work out how to cut them down to the correct size. Sounds like its going to be a nightmare and potential bodge raising the bath. Could you cut the bottom of the bath panel and silicone them in so it will hide anything that isnt perfect?

Soldato
OP
Send bath panels back or work out how to cut them down to the correct size. Sounds like its going to be a nightmare and potential bodge raising the bath. Could you cut the bottom of the bath panel and silicone them in so it will hide anything that isnt perfect?
Too late for that.
Bath is raised, gap has been filled with silicon like it was when I found it. There is a bulge in the wall on the long side of the bath which is preventing the bath sitting against the wall properly.

I would have sent the panel back only I had a nightmare finding one in the first place.

Soldato
gawd. 2 options: 1. get different panels that fit and leave this hell hole alone. 2. Nuke this place from orbit , and fit it all properly in the first place. Looks like it could be doing with it, OP.

Soldato
OP
gawd. 2 options: 1. get different panels that fit and leave this hell hole alone. 2. Nuke this place from orbit , and fit it all properly in the first place. Looks like it could be doing with it, OP.
Would love to do it properly but unfortunately the wall on the long side has a "lump" in it running down the wall which I hadn't noticed until today. To do this properly would mean retiling the bathroom. It's not so bad now. Gap is filled and just been and bought some trim from homebase which I'll fit tomorrow or Thursday.

Soldato
Any pics of the large gap?
Another option would be to raise bath to exact right height,cut tiles with disc cutter and if necessary cut wall too
plenty of mastic to wall,push bath into wall (so that tiles are mostly on top of bath edge)and mastic a seal to top of bath
A LOT of work though

Back
Top Bottom