"Fix tiles" or leave it?

Soldato
I am having bathrooms remodelled at the moment, basically done, but some of the tile work in the en-suite is not quite up to par.

Ceiling is being caulked shortly so ignore that the gap at the top. Tiles are the same colour but camera doesn't pick that up strangely.

What havoc would I cause if I asked them to try to level out the corner line on these? Plasterboard wall so I think it could cause damage in other areas if the tiles were ripped off and re-done.

The top left one in the corner appears to be leaning forwards a bit, the one beneath that has a lip on it to the one below, and that tile has a lip the one below that. Annoyingly most of the other tiling in that room is fine, but it's the most obvious place to notice it because it's right in front of you as you go in the door.

Not expecting mm perfection here as the tiles won't be perfect, but I feel like more care and attention should have been paid to these as I assume some adjustments could be made before they set. The wall behind them wasn't bad as I recall, reasonably flat.

Full size image: https://i.imgur.com/YGZgyIoh.jpg

YGZgyIoh.jpg

Soldato
Hmm i'd fear they'd make more of a pigs ear out of it trying to get them off the wall than how it currently is.

Were those tiles freshly laid as part of you remodelling work? If so, i'd be demanding they be put right as that's quite frankly shoddy workmanship.

If they were already like that, then i'd be surprised there would be much you can do without causing too much upheaval. Taking a tile off the wall after it has been set for a long time is no easy task without breaking the tile or damaging the wall behind it.

Soldato
OP
Hmm i'd fear they'd make more of a pigs ear out of it trying to get them off the wall than how it currently is.

Were those tiles freshly laid as part of you remodelling work? If so, i'd be demanding they be put right as that's quite frankly shoddy workmanship.

If they were already like that, then i'd be surprised there would be much you can do without causing too much upheaval. Taking a tile off the wall after it has been set for a long time is no easy task without breaking the tile or damaging the wall behind it.

Freshly laid, about a week ago or so.

Previous wall was just painted like this (left corner as you look at it):

pfprSGLh.jpg

That's not great ask them to re do it.

I'm a bit worried about the fallout of taking some of those tiles off the wall, but I also have to live with the end result, and it's bugging me every time I have to see it.

Soldato
Thats terrible tile setting. I would not accept that quality of work.

Is it a 'General' contractor or an actual tiler? Can't imagine it's the latter with that mess.

It looks like they have grouted the interior corner where the tiles meet also? That's normally done with an appropriately specced and coloured sealant. That's just going to crack sooner or later.

Soldato
OP
Thats terrible tile setting. I would not accept that quality of work.

Is it a 'General' contractor or an actual tiler? Can't imagine it's the latter with that mess.

It looks like they have grouted the interior corner where the tiles meet also? That's normally done with an appropriately specced and coloured sealant. That's just going to crack sooner or later.

Tiler was brought in for the job in question rather than being done by the fitters.

It's just a bit of a poor quality sealant finish in the corner section, it is sealant though not grouting.

Soldato
It’s not that bad if it was done on the cheap, you get what you pay for kind of thing, but if you’ve paid a decent amount for a professional tiler then I would not be happy. I’ve had a similar issue before and the tiles came off so we could start again

Soldato
OP
It’s not that bad if it was done on the cheap, you get what you pay for kind of thing, but if you’ve paid a decent amount for a professional tiler then I would not be happy. I’ve had a similar issue before and the tiles came off so we could start again

Not super expensive or cheap, probably somewhere in the middle. I was getting quite a bit of work done though.

Worst case you could ask for a discount at least if you are prepared to live with it?

That's the thing, I know it's going to suck to remove them and re-do, but I think it might be necessary because the current finish isn't right, and it's really easy to spot.

The top three tiles need to be chiselled off and laid flatter/flush imo

Its not hard to do,it will only drive you crazy knowing/seeing it like that

Yes I think this is probably what I need to ask them to do, despite the risks of doing other damage or having non-matching grout colours etc.

Associate
i'm a tiler and there's no way i could even consider leaving something looking like that. silicone on the window doesn't look good either.
if they where put ontop of the paint in your before pic there is a chance they will come of without to much damage but even if they are onto new plasterboard direct and it destroys the plasterboard its easy enough to patch the board up. you just need to be carefull removing it so you dont damage the board behind more tiles.
just had to replace some newly fitted tiles on plasterboard after a couple got damaged, multitool to remove grout and then multitool through the grout joint to cut out plasterboard once i realised the board was going to need replacing.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for backing up what I thought. The main bathroom is tiled much better, I am not really sure what went wrong in the en-suite to cause the problems I've seen with it, there are a few others besides the one pictured.

Caporegime
Seems like he’s changed his mind as to which one the the ‘hidden’ edge and swapped half way up. Awful

have you got tiles from two different batches too. There’s a definite colour diff on my screen. Two large ones look more grey ?

Soldato
OP
Seems like he’s changed his mind as to which one the the ‘hidden’ edge and swapped half way up. Awful

have you got tiles from two different batches too. There’s a definite colour diff on my screen. Two large ones look more grey ?

Hmm originally thought it was just the camera being odd, but I think they might actually be a slightly different colour in reality as well.

Definitely ordered in one batch.

Can't catch a break :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom