Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
I've ordered 3m long DP and power cables for the monitors as the supplied ones weren't long enough. I'll be cable tieing them to the upright arms and running the rest of the cables through the channeling of the rig. It is a bit untidy at the mo and some cables just can't be hidden 'nicely'.

I picked up a Logitech Z906 5.1 system in the Black Friday deals, stuck the sub under the seat frame and going to fabricate 4 brackets to mount the speakers on the corners.

Been playing Automobilista with the PPG CART Champcar Mod and Raceroom Racing Experience, the FFB is just amazing from the those two. Other games I've had to tweak and read up online to try and get settings I'm happy with, Dirt/Dirt Rally 2.0 in particular I just can't find a happy medium with. Can't get Wreckfest to work at all with the DD1. Shows up in the menu but can't map any controls.

Soldato
Just installed a Thrustmaster Sparco handbrake, very impressed with the construction quality, having a proportional handbrake for games like Dirt Rally 2.0 is game changing, very impressed.
Brilliant bit of kit, I've been using mine pretty much solely as a sequential recently as I've not really been in DR 2.0 much. Only thing I feel its lacking is a stronger spring in Sequential mode and with more spring ramp up in handbrake.

Finally got the wheel and adaptor through, Its a cheap knockoff OMP WRC wheel but its surprisingly built quite well, feels great in the hand however the FFB definitely needs cranking up full to get the same effect with the bigger wheel.

XjeyAqKl.jpg

Need to work out how to fit a set of paddle shifters to this, would love the Ascher Racing ones or something similar, literally just want the shift paddles on the wheel not fussed about buttons or adjustments as I'll have a simple button box to achieve that. However, I'm unsure on how it will all work, the website states it requires to be plugged into a usb controller to make it all function on PC, is anyone aware of any other simple paddle shifter setups that are genuinely plug and play, with no messing about or do I have to resign myself to the fact that I have to DIY it?

Going to order one of these this week.
GgB5qr9m.jpg

Soldato
Was thinking about getting one of those handbrakes from eBay they go for about £50. Don’t use them enough to justify a massive spend. Anyone had experience with them?
Made mine out of a eBay used Logitech Attack 3 joystick. Stripped it down built a little wooden enclosure for it, some strong elastic for tension and bang an analogue USB handbrake was born :D

Associate
Think the cheap eBay ones are all based on this tutorial if you wanted to make your own

I'm tempted to get one myself but would probably only use it in Dirt/WRC8

Soldato
If I'm going to make one I'd like to spend as little as possible due to the low usage it'd get. As I already have the Leo Bodnar USB interface for the logitech pedals, if I buy a 'handle' for the brake pedal I can attach and it could cost under £10.

Once you've bought the necessary components + time spent making one you may as well buy one from China premade, because I'm seeing them for under £50 currently.

Associate
I've been using my G27since it came out and recently had the potentiometer issue with the throttle pedal, cleaned it but thought I would keep an eye out for a spare wheel/pedals until a mate of mine got hold of a 2nd hand TM TX.

He was surprised how well it handles and much more realistic than the Logitechs, so I bought a 2nd hand TX myself the other day and yes he's right, it does feel better but I'm looking to change the Ferrari Italia wheel for either a 599xx Evo or a Sparco 923, has anyone tried any of these two wheels?

Soldato
I've been using my G27since it came out and recently had the potentiometer issue with the throttle pedal, cleaned it but thought I would keep an eye out for a spare wheel/pedals until a mate of mine got hold of a 2nd hand TM TX.

He was surprised how well it handles and much more realistic than the Logitechs, so I bought a 2nd hand TX myself the other day and yes he's right, it does feel better but I'm looking to change the Ferrari Italia wheel for either a 599xx Evo or a Sparco 923, has anyone tried any of these two wheels?

Using the 599xx Alcantara with a magnet shifter mod and I like it. I also have the Italia and GTE rims and in the process of making a 3D printed McClaren GT3 style one.

Associate
Using the 599xx Alcantara with a magnet shifter mod and I like it. I also have the Italia and GTE rims and in the process of making a 3D printed McClaren GT3 style one.
Nice, and thanks for the reply, I wouldn't mind seeing that McClaren wheel when you have pics, I've just ordered the 599 Evo wheel so will give it some use tomorrow but it does look good and good reviews.

Soldato
GTA-F racing simulator
Fanatec CSL Elite w/P1 wheel
CS V3 pedals
CS Shifter SQ V 1.5
Dayton Audio bass shakers (x4) w/simhub running in corner mode.
Oculus Rift

Caporegime
Dirt Rally 2.0 FFB is poor, i mean you get a puncture or the tyre comes off and you feel nothing! lol.

you have something set up wrong then. lose a wheel its blatantly obvious you lost one. this is a big thing with sim racing rally games and different manufacturers. they all different its often about just dialing in the settings.

Associate
When playing assetto corsa the other day I noticed that my keyboard (Logitech G513) was displaying the rev counter colours, from left green to red, then after checking settings etc noticed it didn't do it again, did anyone else notice this with their RGB keyboard?
Maybe I altered something but cant remember doing so but it was a cool effect!

Soldato
Is anyone running a Reverb with a 1080 Ti or a 2080 non-Ti? I broke my Rift CV1 last night and I'm considering upgrading to the Reverb if my card can push it.

My primary sim is Project Cars 2. I need to be able to run track detail at medium to minimize pop-in, and would like to run detailed shadows. (Low is fine) the rest of the settings can be dialed back to potato and I should be happy. (Hoping higher resolution means no or low AA needed)

Associate
Yep, I'm running a Reverb with a stock 2080. I haven't tried PCars 2 yet, but no problems playing Assetto Corsa Competizione - mind you I'm not overly fussy when it comes to FPS, but it seems to smooth enough to me.

Back
Top Bottom