New year plans

Associate
I know it's not been christmas yet but what are your new years plans?

We've not really been bothered about new year last few years but fancy a night away somewhere for a change so will be planning something.

I dont think people really bother nowadays or do they? Used to be a big thing when I was younger,out visiting after 12pm,gifts etc

Soldato
Booked a decent restaurant for a long afternoon lunch. Stop somewhere in town for a quick drink, maybe two before the hordes turn up. Get back to the village on the train and maybe get one in in one of the local pubs, again, before the hordes turn up.

Go home and watch Hootananny with the hope that I will be flat out asleep on the sofa way before midnight. :D

Soldato
Seeing as how I don't drink and places charge a fortune for entrance I think I'll do what I usually do - stay in and do nothing. Well, will probably play a game online and have Jools Holland on in the background, but that's about it.

Associate
OP
Had to Google it to make sure but when I was younger we used to visit the neighbours and "first foot" bring a bottle of wine or something

The "First Footing" is a tradition celebrated on Hogmanay, a Scottish New Year's celebration. It is supposed to bring luck and prosperity to the household for the new year. It is a ritual involving the first person to step into a household from the outside in a new year.

Caporegime
Had to Google it to make sure but when I was younger we used to visit the neighbours and "first foot" bring a bottle of wine or something

The "First Footing" is a tradition celebrated on Hogmanay, a Scottish New Year's celebration. It is supposed to bring luck and prosperity to the household for the new year. It is a ritual involving the first person to step into a household from the outside in a new year.

Scottish tradition, don't think it happens down here.

I remember this as a lad too.

If you want to do something and you've never done it. Edinburgh, every damn time. My and the misses were in Edinburgh on NYE and she dragged me down to London to watch fireworks from her flat (head out the window at an angle, with no real view) with her friends. I could've cried leaving Edinburgh, what an incredible atmosphere on Hogmany.

Associate
OP
Edinburgh and inverness are in the shortlist so far only thing putting me off Edinburgh is the price or the drinks for what you get I remember last xmas we went town there for the xmas market and spent a fortune on overpriced baileys coffees :p

Soldato
I know it's not been christmas yet but what are your new years plans?

We've not really been bothered about new year last few years but fancy a night away somewhere for a change so will be planning something.

I dont think people really bother nowadays or do they? Used to be a big thing when I was younger,out visiting after 12pm,gifts etc

Fireballing at stonehaven?

Caporegime
Counter argument: Edinburgh on NYE is a massive pain in the hoop because it's filled with drunk tourists, it's almost certainly blowing a gale and/or snow storm, the pints are 20 quid a go, and the local student population comes out to remind everyone why they're hated so much.

Caporegime
Edinburgh and inverness are in the shortlist so far only thing putting me off Edinburgh is the price or the drinks for what you get I remember last xmas we went town there for the xmas market and spent a fortune on overpriced baileys coffees :p

We stayed at priemer inn or maybe travel lodge (it was £60) and it was fine. Obviously we didn't stay till the 1st as we were on a plane ( :( ) but I'm sure the price was the same regardless?

Just go to some dive where the price is the same all year round, and fight your way to the bar. :)

Or go to Bar Salsa and barge your way in for £1.50 drinks :D

Counter argument: Edinburgh on NYE is a massive pain in the hoop because it's filled with drunk tourists, it's almost certainly blowing a gale and/or snow storm, the pints are 20 quid a go, and the local student population comes out to remind everyone why they're hated so much.

Last year the weather was fine, yeah cold. But really it was bearable. No colder than London was on the same day.

Yes, the beer is expensive. Its a capital city though. But again, you just don't go to the main party on the street.

Soldato
I remember almost getting crushed at the Edinburgh street party, that was great :p

it does kinda feel like should be doing something since it's 2020 this time tho!

Soldato
Going out for the first time in years.. only to the local but should be a good crowd.
Last several NYEs have been spent wrapped up sitting on a hill watching various fireworks displays from afar. Ahh old age!

Back
Top Bottom