US: The Expanse - ** Please use spoiler tags for reveals with TV show or books**

Soldato
Amazon Prime but only HD I think.

Watched first three episodes tonight, slightly different pace and style to he previous 3 seasons. Not read the 4th novel yet but seems more planet bound than before. Several different sub plots running which will hopefully all make sense by the end.

Top rate sci-fi still, though. IMHO best since B5 and the BSG remake.

Soldato
According to my missus, who is well versed in such things, the 4K version only has stereo sound. So it seems you have a choice of 4K picture and basic audio or HD picture and 5:1 sound.

Agree with flea.rider, seems to be paced slightly differently - maybe the budget wasn't quite as much as they had to work with for Seasons 1 - 3. With most of the "Holden" action set on New Terra, they could get away with a few shacks in an abandoned quarry with a bit of CGI to fill in the backdrops - reminded me of Earth 2 or maybe Primeval
with one of the actors from Torchwood as the main bad guy, to boot!
. The cutting between the various story elements could be better and apparently the
Bobby sub plot has nothing to do with the main story arc - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't get me wrong, still good but did not grab me so immediately as watching the first three seasons which had me rushing out to buy the books.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Watched to half-way through ep4 so far and it's been good, I am enjoying it. But it's lacking mystery. There's nothing quite as intriguing as the drive to find out what was going on for 3 seasons up to the finale of last season.

I'm not sure I get the protomolecule problem as it currently stands. Wasn't the whole idea that the protomolecule moved to new systems to eventually become a ring gate? Did something happen with the Eros to push it in a new direction compared to protomolecule left to it's own devices?

Soldato
Mmmmmmmm, i'm 5 episodes in and i'm finding it a little er........boring.

The backgrounds and space scenes are beautiful, but the story is meh. I am sure we are building to something big, but Bobby can't act and her story so far is weak and Avasarala although a very strong character in previous seasons has become a caricature of herself :(

Hopefully it picks up :)

Soldato
Episode 7 done - did everyone suddenly forget how to act? Amongst other things:

Ep 5, 26m 53s - "Tell me what to do!" and the actress who is seconds from death recoils :)

Soldato
And season done!

A lot of filler - a whole season on one planet? After the last season i was hoping for a bit of planet hopping, what's behind all the gates?! But a whole season set in a rock quarry reminiscent of an 80's Doctor Who set.

Any Bobby's character pee'd me off, she cannot act and it was so out of character from previous seasons ie a courageous and moral soldier.

Naomi is annoying and again a poor actress.

And very sad to see Klaes go - he was a pretty cool character and the zero g double headshot was v cool!

Glad The Expanse is still on our TV, but a pretty poor season 4 :(

Don
The book that this season is based on was the worst in the series too... It's one of the few expanse books that I haven't bothered to re-read.

So the source material was equally poor :D

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Never read the books but thought this season was good. The effects were much better and the sets more extravagant. Really enjoyed it.

Soldato
Ep 6 to 8 watched last night. Really struggling to love this, there were a few good bits like the ship rescue but it still seems like an upmarket Primeval or 100. Maybe better on a second viewing.

Associate
I'm up to ep 6 and can see why some might not be enjoying it quite as much. Being mostly planet bound it's a fair bit different. The book this one was based on was probably one of the weakest, although again - maybe more for them being stuck on a planet and the drama being localised to a small group rather than the stakes being the end of the world (tm).
But, having read the books, I can see where they are slotting in story elements now that may seem inconsequential but will have huge pay off next season.

Can see the improvement in sets and sfx!

Back
Top Bottom