Car adaptations for disability

Associate
Just wondering if there any disabled drivers on here who can offer a bit of advice?

I have no use of my right leg and due to have it amputated early next year. I have a company car that will be getting adapted but not sure if hand controls or having the accelerator moved to the left will be easier to get used and drive

Anyone been had any experience of this or know someone who has?

Cheers

Soldato
I've driven both (worked on Motability cars, I'm not disabled), I would say that either options are equally as difficult to get used to. Although I would say that the moved accelerator pedal would possibly more comfortable to use once you have gotten used to it. Sorry not a huge amount of help :p

Might be worth seeing if there's any available for you to drive and see which feels more natural?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Tesla do motability? Can get accessibility vehicles in the back of that new glass-shattering pickup of theirs.

My uninformed assumption would be hand controls would be easier for a gamer to pick up.

Soldato
Good advice by Andy..

I'm disabled and I have to use hand controls, but if I could use a swapped accelerator I would take it every time. Yes it will take time to use, you will try braking with your 'other' leg, but that will only last a month or so - depending on age you will soon get used to it. It took me 4-6 weeks as a 20 something year old to get used to hand controls, I don't think it'll matter what you chose as both will need you to re-wire your brain to the new way of driving so pick what is most comfortable for you.

I think the swapped accelerator will be more expensive than hand controls but I think it's definitely worth it. If you are older then I would have driving lessons in either your car or a car with dual controls as it can be dangerous in the first few weeks as your reactions will all be wired the old way(right foot on brake in emergency stops).

What ever you chose make sure you inform the DVLA, and insurance, about your amputation - it won't harm anything as I still have a motorcycle license even though I'm paralysed.

Soldato
My grandad had his left leg amputated so I moved the accelerator pedal to the other side for him on two of his cars.
He got used to it very quickly, and it's a fairly simple modification to do.

Associate
The Muddy wasteland of the Thames Estuary
Just to point out, my other half has a left foot accelerator, it has still got the right side accelerator as well, so I can drive it where required. The "spare" accelerator is on a hinged bracket so only one is down at one time. If you pull the left one down then the right one rises up away from contact. If they are an accelerator that is attached to the floor I believe they can put a switch in to change between the left and right hand side. Just a thought if you were having someone else drive the car without the disability.

Associate
My farther in law has his right leg amputated and drives the car unmodified with no problems at all. Not all cars feel comfortable for him though.

Soldato
Motability fitted hand controls on our last Galaxy (2 litre diesel) - the push to brake/pull to accelerate, plus a little toggle for indicators type, along with a steering knob.
On bad days I get severe muscle spasms, so having the option to use either pedals or hand controls was good, but the setup meant I couldn't adjust the steering column at all. It takes a bit of getting used to - as your reactions are slowed somewhat.

Accelerator and brake aren't as gently controlled as with both feet, so I got pulled over a couple of times when mis-judging leaving a side road or entering a roundabout. Both officers were pretty decent after I apologised and explained the setup - although one got a little impatient when I said I couldn't get out of the car (wheelchair was in the garage at home), but calmed down when he realised I wasn't being obstructive...

When my wife passed her test and we got the new Galaxy, we decided to forgo the hand controls (but kept the steering knob), as she's a fair bit shorter than me and we needed the option to adjust the driving position. I haven't particularly missed it - on bad days I just get her to drive.

Whichever adaptation you go for, Access To Work scheme should cover 80% of the cost (iirc), so don't let that be a factor in your decision.

Permabanned
Just wondering if there any disabled drivers on here who can offer a bit of advice?

I have no use of my right leg and due to have it amputated early next year. I have a company car that will be getting adapted but not sure if hand controls or having the accelerator moved to the left will be easier to get used and drive

Anyone been had any experience of this or know someone who has?

Cheers

I have always driven automatic gearbox cars using my left foot for braking and the right for the throttle, so I would easily adapt to a hand throttle and using my left foot on the brake pedal. and that way the vehicle could remain virtually stock and still easily driven by others. (Retain the stock accelerator pedal and ADD a hand throttle) I feel for you and hope you find a suitable answer that takes little getting used to, all the best for Christmas and the New Year, good luck with whatever you decide!

As an aside I went to Oulton Park for one of the vintage meetings and my next door but one neighbor went a bit excessive in the bar, so he reluctantly and worriedly asked me to drive his vintage Bentley back home whilst he rode with my wife in my car. They have a centre accelerator and I found by the time I had done the 30 miles home I was pretty used to it, so we can adapt pretty quickly. I also found it would still hit over ninety and was rather impressed by the ratty looking old girl :)

Back
Top Bottom