Fuji X Series

Associate
I love the X100F - though for my use I decided to return it and go with the X-E3 with 23mm f2 via Fuji refurb. Worked out half the price of the X100F when I bought it.

there is just something about the X100 line that make them special though.

Soldato
Well I ended up spending more and just bought a new Fuji X100F; I gave it a few trips back and forwards to the shop to keep trying the various models but I instantly felt a connection as soon as I handled the X100F. Had to have it so I pick it up on Wednesday. I got it from Jessops with the free case on offer.

I like the X100F, but the versatility of the X-Pro 2 with the better view finder, and weather sealing made it a more obvious choice for me, especially since you can get it for sub £675, and still put the 23mm F2 on it.

Soldato
All things considered. Why would you pick the older xpro 2 over the x-e3? X-e3 same sensor , smaller, lighter. Newer tech. Bluetooth. 14 fps.

Soldato
That's a relevant question now, but they didn't exist when I made the choice. :)

Also the hybrid viewfinder.

For someone considering Fuji their lineup and names are incredibly confusing.

Xe3
Xt30
Xt3
Xpro2

I think I've almost decided. Xe3 vs xt30. Now I know the xt30 has a newer sensor but for practicality and daily shooting I'm thinking the xe3 is adequate?

I also need to decide lens. For a cropped sensor what's better 27mm (pancake) vs 23mm? Mainly for family and travel. Also I'm tempted to get the 23mm 1.4 over the 2. Anyone who has experienced both? Worth the £££?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Xe3
Xt30
Xt3
Xpro2

I think I've almost decided. Xe3 vs xt30. Now I know the xt30 has a newer sensor but for practicality and daily shooting I'm thinking the xe3 is adequate?

I also need to decide lens. For a cropped sensor what's better 27mm (pancake) vs 23mm? Mainly for family and travel. Also I'm tempted to get the 23mm 1.4 over the 2. Anyone who has experienced both? Worth the £££?

The X-E3 is plenty good enough, the X-T30 makes sense if you'll take advantage of the better video and improved AF. For me the difference in cost wasn't enough to go with the older camera/sensor.

The 23mm f2 is a nice compact lens, great for family photos. For Travel I prefer the 18 - 55 because it means I don't have to mess about changing lenses when I'm out with my family because it covers a very usable range. The 1.4 is only worth it over the f2 if you'll be taking photos in lower light or want that very shallow DoF.

I'd suggest getting the camera with the 18 - 55 as it's so much cheaper, then when you've spent time with this lens you'll know which focal length is your preference.

Associate
[

Xe3
Xt30
Xt3
Xpro2

Also 100f

after testing these all those out alooot over the past week you know what I went with but we all got our own preferences.

You really need to get them in your hands and stick the lens you want on all the cameras and hold them and shoot them. I would go for the xe3 over the xt30 due to me not caring about the flip screen and it was better to hold. What I’ll say though which I didn’t like about the xe3 is how lens heavy the camera is with a 23 or anything on it. Unlike 100f which is balanced and doesn’t topple forward.

they will all take great photos, I wouldn’t get hung up on specs go buy on feel/needs or budget.

olv

olv

Soldato

Xe3
Xt30
Xt3
Xpro2

X-T30 is slightly more compact than the X-E3. There isn't a lot in it but the X-T10/20/30 stand out as being surprisingly compact bodies. Put a 27mm pancake on them and they are pocketable. The X-E3 is not a lot bigger but it's a different shape and more of a block of a camera. To me the X-T30 form factor really appeals because it is small but to others it's too small. So try before you buy.

I have the 23mmm f/2, 27mm and 35mm f/1.4. My favourite overall is the 35mm but I bought it 6 years ago during a round of cashback and it was about £250, the f/2 primes did not exist. The 23mm is excellent and unless you are super flush then it is hard to justify the f/1.4 over it. The 27mm is not really comparable as it's selling point is that it turns your camera into an X100 body. The quality of it is great but I miss the aperture ring and the wider aperture of the others.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
My Fuji X-T30 arrived today, lovely little camera! For now I'll be using the 1855 lens as it's so versatile and the results are really good. I may pick up a wide low light prime next year for more event/indoor photography.

The brand new 55-200 is now for sale in MM :)

Soldato
The X-E3 is plenty good enough, the X-T30 makes sense if you'll take advantage of the better video and improved AF. For me the difference in cost wasn't enough to go with the older camera/sensor.

The 23mm f2 is a nice compact lens, great for family photos. For Travel I prefer the 18 - 55 because it means I don't have to mess about changing lenses when I'm out with my family because it covers a very usable range. The 1.4 is only worth it over the f2 if you'll be taking photos in lower light or want that very shallow DoF.

I'd suggest getting the camera with the 18 - 55 as it's so much cheaper, then when you've spent time with this lens you'll know which focal length is your preference.

But is the 18-55 sharp? It's the typical starter lens.the one I got with one of my dslr was average.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
But is the 18-55 sharp? It's the typical starter lens.the one I got with one of my dslr was average.

Do some googling, you'll see that the 1855 is not a "kit" lens. It's £550 separately which is a fair price, but it's a really decent price when included with a body.

It's sharp.

olv

olv

Soldato
Not to but pick but the X-E3 is physically smaller than the X-T30, it's not a lot smaller but it is still smaller.

Ha! I was just going off my experience of handling my x-t10 vs an x-e2. Just goes to show that max external dimensions don’t tell you everything. I think if you ignore the height of the flash, the X-T cameras feel smaller.

Associate
It's a small thing, but another plus for the X-E3/Pro/X100 vs the X-T30/X-T3 is (providing you're right-eye dominant) that it's much more ergonomic to shoot with thanks to the viewfinder position. It's not like it spoils the experience on my "T", but when I pick up my "E" it's lovely to not have my nose touch the screen.

It's one of the DSLR styling/form-over-function things about the X-T series in that they position the EVF in line with the lens, when there's no physical need for it to be.

Soldato
Oh right. Nice. I had assumed it was kit lens equivalent. Cheers.
The days of the bad kit lens are long gone even in the DSLR world since Canon released the 18-55mm IS kit lens they have been very good before that there was an awful lot of garbage out there. The Fuji 18-55mm is a lovely little lens even if mine gets hardly any use as the 27mm pancake lives on the camera!

olv

olv

Soldato
I think the only ropey Fuji lens is the 18mm f/2. The rest are good, even the old 16-50mm kit lens makes a decent landscape lens.

Associate
I think the only ropey Fuji lens is the 18mm f/2. The rest are good, even the old 16-50mm kit lens makes a decent landscape lens.

Haha, even the F2 is good though- it's not as good as the other "R"s, but I like the output from mine!

My tip is the Samyang 12mm F2 as probably the best bargain out there...

Back
Top Bottom