Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
I got a Nilfisk Multi ll 30T Wet and Dry from Amazon on discount.

The power pickup is only 1100w so not suitable for all tools but at least it's got one.

Works fine for my infrequent usage but don't think it would be up to consistent heavy usage.

Soldato
Was gonna make a new thread but figured everyone who i'd want to answer will probably get pinged by this thread!

My Aldi Parkside Wet and Dry vac has packed in. I've tried clearing the filter out but there's just no suction at all. It comes with a 3 year guarantee so going to take it back, but from experience they'll likely just refund me rather than repairing/replacing it as it's not a regular stock item.

It was really handy, however from looking at a few options for replacements i'm considering changing style from a big wet/dry vac on casters to one of the more worktop style ones. I only do bits of DIY so not creating masses of dust so capacity isn't an issue and it's be much better to avoid having something taking up limited floor space, whereas ones like the below could just go on a shelf.

These are the 3 i've seen

Scheppach HD2P - Reviews seem decent and it's fairly cheap.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-hd2p-120m-hr-electric-2-in-1-dust-extractor-230v/31896?kpid=31896&ds_kid=92700048793290430&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=CjwKCAiAluLvBRAS
EiwAAbX3GZRo4kPw7kx63usA7rcJfjEr3Qyx0hLa__t4C9e6Slrb4_WQkR64NRoC2OAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then we come onto the cordless variants. These would be really handy from a portability factor but i do have concerns about battery life/suction power.

Ryobi - Cheapish, but i only have 1 Ryobi battery so would need a second
https://www.tooled-up.com/ryobi-r18pv-one18v-cordless-project-vacuum-cleaner/prod/438583/

Dewalt DCV584 - Most expensive of the lot but can use both 18v and 240v which is nice and versatile! There is a DCV586 Brushless model too but that's far too expensive!
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I0...0-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_srdg2

I know there is also a school of though of using a cyclone collector too @DXP55 made one i believe which helps avoid clogging up filters etc.

What do people use to collect dust and any experience of the above?

i use https://www.homebase.co.uk/ozito-1250w-20l-wet-dry-vacuum_p389387 has never let me down, bags are cheap use it to attack to my multi tool and chopsaw etc. Also used it to clean out a wet sandbed in my fish tank and to clean my old mans pond.

Bonus is its cheap enough that if it rver breaks will just buy another!

edit - didnt see the shelf requirement mine lives in the garage so not a problem.

Soldato
Was gonna make a new thread but figured everyone who i'd want to answer will probably get pinged by this thread!

My Aldi Parkside Wet and Dry vac has packed in. I've tried clearing the filter out but there's just no suction at all. It comes with a 3 year guarantee so going to take it back, but from experience they'll likely just refund me rather than repairing/replacing it as it's not a regular stock item.

It was really handy, however from looking at a few options for replacements i'm considering changing style from a big wet/dry vac on casters to one of the more worktop style ones. I only do bits of DIY so not creating masses of dust so capacity isn't an issue and it's be much better to avoid having something taking up limited floor space, whereas ones like the below could just go on a shelf.

These are the 3 i've seen

Scheppach HD2P - Reviews seem decent and it's fairly cheap.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-hd2p-120m-hr-electric-2-in-1-dust-extractor-230v/31896?kpid=31896&ds_kid=92700048793290430&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=CjwKCAiAluLvBRAS
EiwAAbX3GZRo4kPw7kx63usA7rcJfjEr3Qyx0hLa__t4C9e6Slrb4_WQkR64NRoC2OAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then we come onto the cordless variants. These would be really handy from a portability factor but i do have concerns about battery life/suction power.

Ryobi - Cheapish, but i only have 1 Ryobi battery so would need a second
https://www.tooled-up.com/ryobi-r18pv-one18v-cordless-project-vacuum-cleaner/prod/438583/

Dewalt DCV584 - Most expensive of the lot but can use both 18v and 240v which is nice and versatile! There is a DCV586 Brushless model too but that's far too expensive!
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I0...0-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp_srdg2

I know there is also a school of though of using a cyclone collector too @DXP55 made one i believe which helps avoid clogging up filters etc.

What do people use to collect dust and any experience of the above?
Saw this on HUKD...

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ti...ner-2-year-guarantee-3499-at-screwfix-3371390

Soldato
Cheers. I did actually pick up that Titan one on Friday.
It’s been ok but not sure if I’ll keep it.

The Jose is quite stiff and the attachments are a weird size compared to my old one. I might take it back and swap for one of the bigger models.

It also has a blower exhaust which keeps blowing dust around the room!

Soldato
Cheers. I did actually pick up that Titan one on Friday.
It’s been ok but not sure if I’ll keep it.

The Jose is quite stiff and the attachments are a weird size compared to my old one. I might take it back and swap for one of the bigger models.

It also has a blower exhaust which keeps blowing dust around the room!
I just got this too and surprised theres not a cap for the blower end :confused:.

Generally gonna use it for outdoor tasks but still!

Caporegime
For those interested, you can get the Halfords 200 piece set for £102 using code xmas15. :)

I also get 10% off so it cost me £91. :)

PkqX0Xkh.jpg

they seem to have so many different sets and sets with less that cost more. i could do with one most likley but don't really know which is best to cover the most bases.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Anybody using the DeWalt DCS365 18v Mitre Saw, I will have a lot of skirting/architrave to do come spring and the mitre saw I've been borrowing doesn't seem to cut square any longer so looking at investing in my own?

Soldato
Anybody using the DeWalt DCS365 18v Mitre Saw, I will have a lot of skirting/architrave to do come spring and the mitre saw I've been borrowing doesn't seem to cut square any longer so looking at investing in my own?

Got an engineers square?

Surely just a case of of checking the blade runs true and is square to the fence and base?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Got an engineers square?

Surely just a case of of checking the blade runs true and is square to the fence and base?

Had a quick check and it is out, but cant see anyway of adjusting it. It's a cheapy JCB compound mitre that's had a pretty heavy life.

Associate
Had a quick check and it is out, but cant see anyway of adjusting it. It's a cheapy JCB compound mitre that's had a pretty heavy life.

The cheaper non-named saws always struggle to cut mitres across wider spans. The bearings aren't up to scratch and you get play. I returned 3 Evolution saws of increasing cost when trying to cut mitres in 9 inch skirting, before switching to a Hitachi. A 2 day nightmare job struggling to get clean corners was wrapped up in an afternoon with the appropriate tool.

Heard good things about the dewalt. I like the lack of rails too - lower profile in case you ever want to use on a bench. Worth checking out the Bosch Pro offers though on the Bosch website... They have the Bosch entry level for £210 which seems good value https://shop.bosch-professional.com...00-sj--9200000030919--0601B19070920#PD-prices

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
The cheaper non-named saws always struggle to cut mitres across wider spans. The bearings aren't up to scratch and you get play. I returned 3 Evolution saws of increasing cost when trying to cut mitres in 9 inch skirting, before switching to a Hitachi. A 2 day nightmare job struggling to get clean corners was wrapped up in an afternoon with the appropriate tool.

Heard good things about the dewalt. I like the lack of rails too - lower profile in case you ever want to use on a bench. Worth checking out the Bosch Pro offers though on the Bosch website... They have the Bosch entry level for £210 which seems good value https://shop.bosch-professional.com...00-sj--9200000030919--0601B19070920#PD-prices

That Bosch is a cracking price in fairness, I was only looking at the Dewalt as I fancied a cordless and have plenty of 4&5ah batteries

Caporegime

I have a makita circular saw and I'm just wondering if there is any point getting something like this if I already have a circular saw? Can I not get away with using that for a big upcoming home build project

Caporegime
Mitre saw is my most used tool - More accurate, quicker and you can set up stops etc. Plus a circ won't do mitres properly for any decent joineryj.

What's the pros and cons versus a table saw?

They both look the same to me.

Obviously circular won't cut as straight but is better for cutting up bigger bits of old used wood like pallets.

Associate
Table saw is my least used tool - regret buying it to be fair. Only useful for stripping down sheets etc. The circ saw does this pretty well with a guide (although less repeatable). The mitre saw is a completely different tool - use for mitres and cutten batten etc.

In an ideal world, get a track saw and a mitre saw. Use the track saw for sheet goods and rips. MNiter does all the intricate stuff.

Soldato
Looking for a good, reliable cordless angle grinder, ideally with flap discs for quickly removing rust / paint from metal. I'm not overly invested in either, but I have a few DeWalt drills/impact drivers on the 18v XR system and one BOSCH Impact gun on the 18v Li Ion system. Ideally I'd like to stay with either of those so I can use the batteries. Use is going to be light and much more of an occasional tool (although I say that about a lot of tools I now have and they get a lot more use than I thought they would) :D

Soldato
Looking for a good, reliable cordless angle grinder, ideally with flap discs for quickly removing rust / paint from metal. I'm not overly invested in either, but I have a few DeWalt drills/impact drivers on the 18v XR system and one BOSCH Impact gun on the 18v Li Ion system. Ideally I'd like to stay with either of those so I can use the batteries. Use is going to be light and much more of an occasional tool (although I say that about a lot of tools I now have and they get a lot more use than I thought they would) :D

Dewalt one can be had for around £100, sometimes under. But you better have at least 4ah batteries or you're wasting your time.

Soldato
Borrowing my neighbours corded drill for the 4th time or something so thinking it's time to buy my own decent drill. I've got an 18V cordless which is fine for bits and bobs but probably time to buy something with some grunt.

I can see you can either spend about £60 and get something like this
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-SDS+-Corded-Rotary-Hammer-Drill---1500W/p/141156

or spend roughly double and get something with a brand name
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Makita-HR2630-2-SDS+-Rotary-Corded-Hammer-Drill---800W/p/169583

If I had a big DIY project coming up or planned to ever take on a huge project I'd get the latter for sure.

Just wondering what difference in quality and longevity there might be between the two, e.g. is the latter made up of much superior parts and will last 20 years whereas the first will be more like 10? Or would I just be paying more for the brand name?

Basically looking for a reason to justify the more expensive one even though I don't have a need right now!

The makita is also only 800W compared to the 1500W wickes model. I guess 800W should be plenty though?

Back
Top Bottom