**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

V_R

V_R

Soldato
How is it more secure, particularly if you're out in public and need to tap in your pin? You're happy with face unlock because it's convenient. Wouldn't it be better if it just worked for everything without you having to alternate between pin and face unlock? Maybe you're okay with it, but mixing and matching security methods like this is a bad customer experience.
Well, I don't tend to check my banking when out in public, but I see your point. For now, what with the whole 'OMG my eyes are closed' thing I'd rather use a pin or fingerprint to see my monies.

Soldato
If I had an app that uses a PIN number to log in, then Google removes it as I haven't used Face Unlock, I don't think that would be too fair.

As I said, it seems more something Apple would do.

It's not about developers. People developing apps for the Play Store get paid to work within the given system - it's the same in every business. This is about the experience for the user. Users don't care about fairness for the app developers - most people just want a phone that works consistently and reliably. After all, the buyer of the phone/user of the app is the most important person in all of this, surely.

Soldato
As a part time developer, I wouldn't want Google to start dictating how I must code and what features I must use or they will remove my apps from the store. If I had an app that uses a PIN number to log in, then Google removes it as I haven't used Face Unlock, I don't think that would be too fair.

Does Google warn you when your apps use deprecated code when a new API level is released? Do you take steps to fix the warnings? That's what I'd expect the banks to do (especially with the nature of their apps) and when they don't that's when I get angry.

Soldato
Does Google warn you when your apps use deprecated code when a new API level is released? Do you take steps to fix the warnings? That's what I'd expect the banks to do (especially with the nature of their apps) and when they don't that's when I get angry.

Yup. What's been depricated in this case? I thought this is about new features not being implemented/used?

Soldato
Yup. What's been depricated in this case? I thought this is about new features not being implemented/used?

FingerprintManager was deprecated back in Pie. You're meant to use the BiometricManager instead which will work on phones which have fingerprint readers or face unlock.

https://source.android.com/security/biometric/

That's why I'm angry. Banks have had over a year to move onto the new API but they haven't lifted a finger!

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Well as 10 is apparently rolling out to the S10 family now (according to Reddit) I'd imagine that is about to get a lot more!

Soldato
A guy at work had a Pixel 2....it had never been updated from version 8.1!!!

After I updated it for him he was chuffed at the new look and extra smoothness etc.

Many people on Android haven't got a clue on updates.

Associate
A guy at work had a Pixel 2....it had never been updated from version 8.1!!!

After I updated it for him he was chuffed at the new look and extra smoothness etc.

Many people on Android haven't got a clue on updates.

Jesus, that guy must have been utterly utterly clueless. Even my Mrs knows when she's got a SW update! LMAO :D

Soldato
FingerprintManager was deprecated back in Pie. You're meant to use the BiometricManager instead which will work on phones which have fingerprint readers or face unlock.

https://source.android.com/security/biometric/

That's why I'm angry. Banks have had over a year to move onto the new API but they haven't lifted a finger!

Yeah, that's a fair point. Google do have a process, but it does give developers a very long time to move off of deprecated code. I'm not particularly saying you're not wrong to be angry with your bank, I'm against Google removing apps because they don't use the latest features. Tbf, we don't know they've done nothing. I would guess there is huge amounts testing when it comes to online security.

Associate
Sorry for the ignorance. I'm at work and don't have time to trawl through the posts.

Online reviews slate the pixel 4 's battery life. Is the battery life that bad?

My mum needs an upgrade from her iPhone 6s but I'm concerned I'll recommend her a phone that won't last a single day. The XL isn't suitable for her smaller hands

Soldato
Sorry for the ignorance. I'm at work and don't have time to trawl through the posts.

Online reviews slate the pixel 4 's battery life. Is the battery life that bad?

My mum needs an upgrade from her iPhone 6s but I'm concerned I'll recommend her a phone that won't last a single day. The XL isn't suitable for her smaller hands
If it has to be a smaller phone then the S10e is the no brainer choice IMO.

Back
Top Bottom