Movies about The Falklands War?

Soldato
Hi all,

Was just pondering something this afternoon. We have lots of WW2 , Vietnam and some WW1 films but literally nothing about the Falklands.

Why is that? Would have thought some filmaker would have had a crack at it. Like Nolan did with Dunkirk.

Suppose you could say the same about the Korean war too.

Soldato
BBC did a drama about Falklands veterans years ago, I think it was called Civvies. Powerful stuff, I think some of it was set during the war, but memory is not perfect.

Soldato
Hi all,

Was just pondering something this afternoon. We have lots of WW2 , Vietnam and some WW1 films but literally nothing about the Falklands.

Why is that? Would have thought some filmaker would have had a crack at it. Like Nolan did with Dunkirk.

Suppose you could say the same about the Korean war too.

there is mate it''s called the Falklands play and it's an interesting watch.

there was a whole thing after it was made and a decision not to air it for many years - I think, from memory it was because of the way it portrayed MT and it highlighted strains with the Americans but i could be wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Falklands_Play

edit: here's a doc about why it was withheld:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5I80CTJZx8

Last edited:
Soldato
Apart from World War 2, the UK film industry has never been big on making war films. I've always put it down to there being so many anti war luvvies in the industry.

Caporegime
Well it isn't a big event involving 'merica. Dunkirk, though a British film, was WW2 and so perhaps had wider appeal.

Not very big budget but check out an Ungentlemanly act, covers the invasion itself:

Back
Top Bottom