*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Took 4 day break drinking, eating poorly and sleeping poorly. Came back to see I could barely dumbell press 35kg when I was hoping to at least do 40kg for at least a few reps.

Ate everything I saw for the next week, got okay sleep in and did a sesh for high reps. Next time my strength chest day came around I manage to finally hit 45kg for 3 clean reps. It was one of those days where everything felt heavy but the body somehow had more juice left so I kept creeping the weight up.

No doubt I'll spend the next few weeks wistfully thinking about the new PB while struggling to do 42.5 haha

Associate
Went from 83kg to 69kg over 2 months cos I've been hospitalised. Lost all my gains :( going into the new year back on square 1. Hopefully I'm back in the gym by January

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Went from 83kg to 69kg over 2 months cos I've been hospitalised. Lost all my gains :( going into the new year back on square 1. Hopefully I'm back in the gym by January

Muscle memory will be kind to you. A few months back in the gym you’ll be making serious gains.

Caporegime
Pulled 185 for 3x3 and then 200 tonight so hit my target of 500 for the year.

One more squat session to go on Monday and I'm hoping to hit 185 so that'll give me 515 to end the year.

Loving life at the gym and loving not picking up stupid muscle pulls or colds like usual.

Bench Press getting there. Managed 125kg x 5 paused today. Still weigh 81kg. Strength overall for my upper body I'm pretty happy with.
Too easy! :cool:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Pulled 185 for 3x3 and then 200 tonight so hit my target of 500 for the year.

One more squat session to go on Monday and I'm hoping to hit 185 so that'll give me 515 to end the year.

Loving life at the gym and loving not picking up stupid muscle pulls or colds like usual.

Too easy! :cool:

Nice work! Next year should bring all the PRs!

I pulled a 180 deadlift today after doing tons of squats, felt pretty easy. Just need to spend a few more weeks dialling in the squat then should start to add weight.

No real strength goals right now. Enjoying looking jooocey. Wore a vest yesterday and was told I’m looking good by a regular gym bro, which is nice to hear.

Caporegime
I've had a load of comments about my weight loss but that's led to having very few clothes that fit.

I've kept my diet clean and my weight loss steady for almost 7 months so I'm looking forward to bulking in the new year.

Man of Honour
Haven’t gone for maxes, but 120kg bench x5 for 4 sets and a 235kg deadlift are lifts I haven’t done for a while. Felt a lot easier than last time I did them. I enjoy this time of year in the gym. January looms though :(

Should still get legs in tomorrow, shoulders Monday and some back work Tuesday. Then a 2 day rest!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Impromptu bench press singles. I think there’s more in there based on hitting chest on Wednesday and no proper planned peak.

I’d like to hit 2 x body weight next year so 162.5Kg at my current weight.

Man of Honour
Congrats. Speaking of squats, so many in my gym can squat ‘heavy’, but never even get close to parallel. It just looked painful today as the weight was mostly going through the guys knees. Then the inevitable bench press when the spot takes most of the weight off.

Had a fun session myself today breaking PBs on shoulders and arms. A light back day tomorrow and then a couple of days rest.

Caporegime
I'm pretty fortunate, my gym's owned by the local Rugby club so a lot of the rugby lads go in there and whoever's teaching them to squat is doing a great job. No egos, just good solid squatting. A few are around the same level as me so it's giving me the competition I've missed since my gym partner quit years ago.

Soldato
Impromptu bench press singles. I think there’s more in there based on hitting chest on Wednesday and no proper planned peak.

I’d like to hit 2 x body weight next year so 162.5Kg at my current weight.

Christ.. You dont hang about with the PBs do you! Good to see you lifting again pal, looking forward to the log!

Its nearly that time of the year.. Whose looking forward to the new year resolution army stealing all the machines for the 1st week of the year! Haha.

Although, I will actually be one of them as been too injured and/or too lazy to go, thankfully it will be early morning so wont have to worry about taken machines.. That and no one uses the prowler in my gym.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Christ.. You dont hang about with the PBs do you! Good to see you lifting again pal, looking forward to the log!

Last training session done, going to take a week off as my body is RIP.

Monday managed 150x4 squat on my top set, today I managed 140x3 paused bench press. Strength wise I'm really happy, but I may back off the strength for a couple months and hit home some solid hypertrophy. It's hard, I love lifting heavy, but my body is 7 years older than when I was competing.

Man of Honour
Had my final gym session before Christmas. It’s now closed for 2 days. I need the rest! Back to deadlifts on Friday.

Over the last few weeks I have reduced my weight slightly for bench and squats in order to build back up. Both are feeling strong and I’ve been focussing on form - I feel like my max is far beyond my previous attempts, but I’ll just keep increasing until I can rep my previous maxes.

Soldato
Any one have any tips to avoid groin issues?

Let me explain. About two years ago I developed groin pain in my left groin through doing leg pressing.

I was out of the gym for about 18 months (not due to groin) and now I'm back. I've been back since April and recently started doing an Upper/Lower split.

Since I switched to the upper lower split it seems like my groin issues are slowly starting to creep back again.

I wasnt doing much leg volume before so an upper/lower has increased my volume a lot, but it feels like I have to pre-empt the fact I can feel potential groin issues on the horizon and switch to something with less leg volume.

Quite annoying as I was enjoying the upper/lower.

Do I just need to have much stronger/conditioned legs before I can have a dedicated leg day?

I imagine I need to do some stretches etc...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom