• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 9 3950X review thread

Associate
That'll be a niiice upgrade. I had a 4770K (4.5GHz) and the 2700X was a noticeable step-up.
Went from a c2q 9550 to the 3950x. No more vega 56 throttles! And that task manager thread gallore is priceless going from only 4 to 32 :D .

For people who love numbers, c2q at 3.6ghz in CB20 did 824, 3950x at 4.325 all core did 10124. Just the amount of time it took for each pc to run it blew me away how much faster the 3950x is.

3950x is an overkill for me but i keep my computers for years as you can imagine from the c2q above.

Merry Christmas to everyone and well done ocUK for getting everyone this awesome cpu.

Associate
wow lol, so your new CPU is over 12 times faster than the old one.
It did, 11 years passed and 12 times better on CB haha. Trying to figure out blender now, i don't think i scored very high on the gooseberry one, i think it did it a bit less than 10 minutes, yet i read it should do around 8ish (unless that was a stupid oc).

But to give credit to the c2q, in 4k they both do the same exact fps on the games i play. Which means i am gpu bound (of course vega56 ) but the c2q wouldn't do crossfire for some reason, i suppose back then you needed a bridge thingy while now you don't. Now i have crossfire at least on the games that support it, just need to remember to turn on the mini nuclear plant before I start a game... I can finally play witcher 3 on 4k all maxed out!

Love the c2q back then was the best upgrade i had done by miles and kept going, only reason i needed to change was the vega 56 that was throttling it and the second one sitting gathering dust, else i would probably keep it for 1080p gaming. Time to move on and do some more stuff other than gaming.

There is so much to learn though on the 3950x its so different, the bios has a bazilion settings, i still can't figure out the fan settings and what to do, and not sure what is the best to use, currently i have it on the silent mode but it ramps up and down even when just browsing.

Ryzen master i have it set on default at the moment no need to manual oc it appart for the odd benchmark perhaps. Just default on 1usmus plan (which i dont think helps as i found similar scores with the Ryzen performance plan ) it does 9220 on CB20, and 9550 to 9630 with PBO on and nothing else, so i don't see a big need for the manual oc and the risks it comes with.

I felt like a child getting new awesome toys when i finally sat down to build the pc I wanted for years to make me a brand new desktop pc.

Soldato
I'm currently running PBO with a negative offset of 0.150, which nets me an all-core load of 1.2v in CR20 and 4.2 on all cores.

If you care more about MT performance, Per CCX overclocking makes more sense.

Back
Top Bottom