quick question sport mode vs erm,..sport mode?

Soldato
OP
Do the revs not change in the different modes? I’m sure in my car if I flick between eco, comfort and sport the revs change slightly.

What you are hearing is literally the ASD system pumping fake noise into your speakers. When you change to sport it changes the tone of the sound and it drove me absolutely barmy. Get ASD harness and fit it then what you describe won't happen.

You can verify this by driving in manual with cruise control in lets say 8th at 60mph. switch between modes. literally nothing happens except the background droning noise from the ASD gets higher pitched.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What you are hearing is literally the ASD system pumping fake noise into your speakers. When you change to sport it changes the tone of the sound and it drove me absolutely barmy. Get ASD harness and fit it then what you describe won't happen.

Well it will, because the transmission in sport mode changes the shift pattern which results in higher revs as it'll often change down.

Underboss
Also even though i only have a lowly E92 M3, if you change the throttle response you don't have to press the pedal as much to do the same speed. So same revs has to be same speed (unless eco does something funky with the turbo). Nowt wrong with redlining a car, whats the point in not using the whole range.

Exactly, nothing wrong with it, that's why cars have a rev limiter on so you can not damage the engine, you look like an utter **** if your going around bouncing of the limiter all the time :D

Soldato
Well it will, because the transmission in sport mode changes the shift pattern which results in higher revs as it'll often change down.

This.

I didn't realise that there is a Sport mode (Chassis) which keeps the cruising gear at the Comfort levels - seems like an ideal mode for me given that I'm not a fan of it holding higher gears in Sport mode. Shame that it still makes the steering heavier.

Soldato

You can verify this by driving in manual with cruise control in lets say 8th at 60mph. switch between modes. literally nothing happens except the background droning noise from the ASD gets higher pitched.

i don’t think my car has ASD. When I said the revs change, I can see the diff on the rev counter and it’s definitely not dropping down a gear. I’ve only done this on a motorway, doing say 60 in eco pro mode, and about to get off at the next junction so I’d normally put it back into comfort it but on occasions I’ve clicked the button twice and put it into sport mode.

Soldato
OP
lol they put fake noises in the 140i? 340i didn't have them, though its not a specifically sporty model.
i don’t think my car has ASD. When I said the revs change, I can see the diff on the rev counter and it’s definitely not dropping down a gear. I’ve only done this on a motorway, doing say 60 in eco pro mode, and about to get off at the next junction so I’d normally put it back into comfort it but on occasions I’ve clicked the button twice and put it into sport mode.

Well if you in auto mode and you click the button and its changes the revs then yes it defo changing the gear. Only way to be sure about it is to is to put it in manual i.e it wont change gear when you press the button for sure.

Note that eco will coast so it actually knocks it out of gear if you lift off.

I played around with this a lot before making this post as it can be a little confusing what is actually happening. I mean look at the table posted further up.

Soldato
Note that eco will coast so it actually knocks it out of gear if you lift off.
I played around with this a lot before making this post as it can be a little confusing what is actually happening. I mean look at the table posted further up.

so how much can you re-code the behaviour, I assume the ASD can be disabled, from Will's comment,
the table had shown coast as an eco exclusive, maybe I kid myself on the fuel saving, but on an older, non-dsg BMW, I use it.

Back
Top Bottom